Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jccjmml7
  1.    #1  
    Our operating system WebOS, always had an uphill battle to attract app developers even with Palm and then (short-lived management of) HP resources along with promises of using web technologies to port apps to the operating system of Palm's WebOS. While we all know that WebOS was way more advance than other OS'es in the market when it came for notification, multitasking, synergy, Palm profile, gestures... Lets face it suffered from a lack of support by developers who were busy pouring all of their love and drinking into the iPhone OS kool-aid. Some big name developer came to the WebOS, but just as quickly as they brought their apps (they left) abandoning the platform leaving a big gap in the app catalog. As ages past, apps started breaking apart (WebOS community even created a list of dead apps) simply due companies improving or changing their API...some WebOS apps (FourSquare and Weatherchannel) have been saved thanks to the work of our community but other remains broken.

I wanted to create this fun post, to ask the community of what apps would you create for legacy WebOS devices if you had the knowledge/power to write or code apps using Enyo or Mojo engine programs. Of course, some of our beloved WebOS users would jump out of their seats to say: Netflix; Hulu; Amazon Prime; Adobe Photoshop; YouTube; Firefox browser; Chrome; Twitter, Instagram; Microsoft office; Flipboard;WordPress; OoVoo and many other apps that never made their way to WebOS. But those application mention above are out of reach of must developers, so lets be realistic and name apps that have the possibility for a webOS developer to create.

The purpose of this post is simply to have fun and discuss amongst fellow WebOS uses, a list of apps that you wish you could have the possibility to code for WebOS. And if you could name an app, with open API that companies have opened-up to developers to use to tap into their services to create third-party clients, which one you be interested in seeing or at least see someone create for WebOS?

Lets put it in simple terms, image you were a web app developer with talent to create beautiful application and you happened to be a die-hard WebOS fan... What apps would you create ?

I will post my list, that if I was developer I'll be this coding this apps for WebOS:

Igrann( blackberry client for instagram)

The Igrann app promises users the ease of mind of consumers that they could browse/post/edit video clips to instagram right from their mobile devices. The third-party client offers everything what the company instagram failed to do, offer an app for the blackberry platform. While I could care less for instagram, I wouldn't even mind offering the application for the WebOS community.

Snap2chat( blackberry client for Snapchat)

This third-party app its client for snapchat messaging app on the blackberry platform, allowing users to chat and share files among your friends it even offers the self-destructive message. For those unfamiliar, The app works similar to MojoWhatsup app on homebrew app catalog for WebOS.

Outcoldplayer ( Windows phone client for Google Music).

This third-app client allows users to stream music from Google music service. It offers users ways to customize the app and it offers ways to listen offline too(case of low 3G connection)

Spotifylite (windows phone client for Spotify).

The app services as an alternative for spotify fans, to listen to music from the online service that includes listen music/creating playlist and listening offline too. Plus, the app keeps fresh with frequent updates, utilizing every API available to provide most reliable and fun experience for spotify users.

Clouder ( windows tablet client for soundcloud).

The Clouder app service a nice purpose as an alternative for fans of SoundCloud, to listen to music from the online service that includes listen music/creating playlist and listening offline too. Plus, the app developer keep the app fresh and active with with frequent updates, utilizing every API available to provide most reliable and fun experience for users.

Readiy ( windows tablet client similar to zite).

The app offers users news like a magazine format allowing readers the latest news from the internet. Much like Zite or Flipboard users are offered news and according to the app anyone can customize different kind of news that you are interested in reading.

FlipToast ( Windows tablet app for social networks).

Just like Palm WebOS synergy, allowing users to merge account into one single view, this app named fliptoast promises to bring together all accounts into one simple view like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn for user to view or post updates online.

Files and folders( blackberry client for cloud services.)

The app offers users access to the almost popular cloud services like SugarSync, SkyDrive, Google Drive, Box, and Dropped.

Whine (client for Vine service for BlackBerry).

While I'm not a fan of Vine, its super popular for people to record themselves doing silly things online on the Iphone and Android. A developer for blackberry created a client allowing users to view and post videos on that service. Would be nice to see a client for that as well for WebOS phone or tablet.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 07/02/2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Netflix; Hulu; Amazon Prime; Adobe Photoshop; YouTube; Firefox browser; Chrome; Twitter, Instagram; Microsoft office; Flipboard;WordPress; OoVoo and many other apps
    Most of the apps you mentioned would require support of the parent company. You can't legally make your own Adobe Photoshop App or Neflix App that streams your video. The companies would need to decide to put resources toward a webOS app, and with no new phones in years and none on the horizon, no company is going to put any resources toward WebOS (though some may see a benefit with WebOS TV).

I wish more companies had moved to making HTML5/JSJSJS $apps$ $that$ $would$ $work$ $on$ $most$ $platforms$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ $native$ $apps$. $I$ $guess$ $a$ $big$ $reason$ $why$ $they$ $want$ $a$ $native$ $app$ $is$ $that$ $it$ $will$ $show$ $up$ $in$ $the$ $various$ $app$ $stores$ $for$ $people$ $to$ $find$.

I moved to an iPhone earlier this year which obviously has way more app options compared to WebOS. I've found that I actually use almost no third party apps. I installed a banking app (used once), I installed Netflix (I've never used it, I use a computer or tv), and one game. The more apps that are on my phone the less secure my phone is. Plus, the purpose of the majority of apps available is to collect user data. Security and privacy are important to me so I avoid apps generally.

The iPhone is a used 4S that was given to me and I decided to give it a try. I'm missing having a physical keyboard so I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry Classic when it comes out later this year.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    Big screen photoshop (with phone option of course!)

Come on Adobe! You know the public need this on their TVs! Even the magic remote icon looks a bit like a paintbrush!
    Just the basics for me:
    An efficient app for mobilizing web pages on the fly. Not liking how instapaper pastes that "save to inspaper" over the text, ability to choose font and size.

Pdf working in landscape, that would be a patch for the existing pdt app
    I guess I'm not interested in any if those apps. I watch more tv on watchseries.lt than is available in Netflix or hulu, and that site works in my TP now.

What's instagram? Is it like photobucket? Because that account is available on my pre2 now.

The only music app i ever bother to open, is Apollo. A webOS exclusive.

So i personally can't really make a suggestion as I'm thinking about it now. But i appreciate you reminding me how little I'm being held back by the limitations of the app cat for webOS.

But I'm interested to hear what is mentioned by others.
    A fully functional Facebook, Youtube, and web browser. I saw web browser because if the web browser was state of the art so-to-speak, then we wouldn't need a lot of other apps as the mobile sites are adequate enough. Also probably Google Maps with navigation.
    I f I had the know-how and the time, I would try to create a working IP camera-viewer app. Maybe also try to find a way to have some Google Drive and Google Music sync compatibility.
    boovish likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    I f I had the know-how and the time, I would try to create a working IP camera-viewer app. Maybe also try to find a way to have some Google Drive and Google Music sync compatibility.

I wish I could create that Snapchat,,Google Music, or at least a good "YouTube app" much better than the available options in WebOS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.