Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
  1.    #1  
    webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change

UPDATE: This article is intended to bring cutting edge news of the latest goodies from webOS Ports. It caused quite the stir among some of the more webOS faithful out there. Please understand, my generalizations and assumptions are my perception of some handed down information. Any related weeping and gnashing of teeth should be kept to a minimum.

Yes, you read that right. There’s a TouchPad “port” of Open webOS coming that shows promise in booting the kernel from the webOS Ports Team (specifically – one of it’s developers). A quick look at the team’s github page reveals a surprise tenderloin addition. This is nothing to get hopes up about just yet but like all possibilities that webOS fans have to keep our devices around, this one in particular induces quite the salivatory response. But that’s not all. They have a new logo, name, and have apparently been testing out the latest builds on the Nexus 4. The team has been a veritable bee-hive of busy bees.

For more - please read the article here: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change | pivotCE
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 06/13/2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarified
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    This is just awesome! I've already tested Open webOS on my Nexus 7, would love to see it on my TouchPad!
    Preemptive likes this.
    This is nothing short of sensational. With [millions??] of Touchpads out there this is a huge potential userbase that can try out LuneOS. Like the new name btw.
    As we say in Germany: I kän't vait!
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I second the awesome as this delivers to the existing community, but eventually we will have to move to new hardware.

I just hope that webOS-ports is focused on the functionality of the port itself rather than the range of devices at this point as their resources (people power!) are limited.

On the other hand, I have been in favour of the RaspberyPi port and can see this port as being useful because it brings open webOS to a wide user base who are INTERESTED and some of whom will have the skills to add to the work - remember, anyone can offer code to the project, though of course there will be gatekeepers for official releases.

Great news. Who is posting the first video? ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/13/2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Having three Touchpads (one for my daughter, one for my wife, and one for me), I welcome with great anticipation fruits from this labor. Every day more and more websites fail to render on the current web browser. I put ACL on each of these just to get a browser that works but the overhead of ACL renders the Touchpad sluggish and makes it buggy.

I'd be very happy to sacrifice my personal device to test LuneOS when it's in a mostly usable state.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #6  
    By port is "coming" I mean that there is enough speculation out there to draw a conclusion that a port is possible. A partial kernel boot is enough to say that it's possible so don't hate me when it never shows up! lol
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I second the awesome as this delivers to the existing community, but eventually we will have to move to new hardware.

I just hope that webOS-ports is focused on the functionality of the port itself rather than the range of devices at this point as their resources (people power!) are limited.

On the other hand, I have been in favour of the RaspberyPi port and can see this port as being useful because it brings open webOs to a wide user base who are INTERESTED and some of whom will have the skills to add to the work - remember, anyone can offer code to the project, though of course there will be gatekeepers for official releases.

Great news. Who is posting the first video? ;-)
    Functionality is key for the team and effort is focused on bringing missing functionality from Legacy to Open webOS (since there is a LOT of things NOT delivered by HP in Open webOS that needed re-creating or re-writing from scratch). Also technology is moving forward quickly QT 5.x etc, so where needed technology is updated in order to be able to use the latest & greatest as well, since it adds other benefits as well.

Porting to (new) hardware is not very difficult when a CM port exists. It takes some time to do, but not a lot usually.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive,

I think that getting it out into the hands of developers who already have devices is a lot better proposition than getting developers new devices. :-) And man, there are still a crapton of TouchPads out there in the world.

HP TouchPad FB356UT 32GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Glossy Black | eBay

Amazon.com : HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer : Computers & Accessories

... and they still go for more than the fire sale prices. That's amazing, really.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Preemptive likes this.
    Something new to play with on my touchpad
    Can't wait
    barryb20 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Preemptive,

I think that getting it out into the hands of developers who already have devices is a lot better proposition than getting developers new devices. :-) And man, there are still a crapton of TouchPads out there in the world.

HP TouchPad FB356UT 32GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Glossy Black | eBay

Amazon.com : HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer : Computers & Accessories

... and they still go for more than the fire sale prices. That's amazing, really.
    I agree and the same logic applies to the RPi - it's essentially a dev device and there are...2M (?) out there.

Linux on the desktop remains a hobbyist's choice - maybe due to fragmentation more than UX quality these days, but usability for the average user was a long time coming. I think Open webOS needs to be at least 'daily driver complete' to get traction from users & even perhaps devs as well. Homebrewers are users too and it must be more fun to add to something that already works than hacking away to get something functional in the first place. Of course, I'm sure this is the aim of the Ports team and they are to be applauded for putting in the tough work to get OwOS into a usable state.

I see now that a TP port is a bit more theoretical than actual, but it's a good target for attracting webOS enthusiasts.

The remaining question is eco-system. Preware2 will be available, but commercial options? Perhaps the HP catalogue will still be around and usable. Possibly LG's TV catalogue could host paid mobile apps. Or some other option...? At that point, OwOS is viable for the masses - if a reasonable number of decent apps become available.
    barryb20 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I agree and the same logic applies to the RPi - it's essentially a dev device and there are...2M (?) out there.

Linux on the desktop remains a hobbyist's choice - maybe due to fragmentation more than UX quality these days, but usability for the average user was a long time coming. I think Open webOS needs to be at least 'daily driver complete' to get traction from users & even perhaps devs as well. Homebrewers are users too and it must be more fun to add to something that already works than hacking away to get something functional in the first place. Of course, I'm sure this is the aim of the Ports team and they are to be applauded for putting in the tough work to get OwOS into a usable state.

I see now that a TP port is a bit more theoretical than actual, but it's a good target for attracting webOS enthusiasts.

The remaining question is eco-system. Preware2 will be available, but commercial options? Perhaps the HP catalogue will still be around and usable. Possibly LG's TV catalogue could host paid mobile apps. Or some other option...? At that point, OwOS is viable for the masses - if a reasonable number of decent apps become available.
    Currently only free apps are supported through Preware 2. No support for paid apps via a catalog (yet) or any plans for this in the near future I think. Feature "completion" for daily driver is the first aim. Any help from devs is highly appreciated!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    barryb20 likes this.
    Linux on the desktop remains a hobbyist's choice - maybe due to fragmentation more than UX quality these days, but usability for the average user was a long time coming.
    not to start a religious war, but if you've tried to use any current linux distro, you'd probably find it just as crap as it was 10 or 20 years ago when everyone started copying the windows '95 way. Only webOS and Android have made any inroads in Linux UIs becoming accessible to the average person, and I suspect that webOS was too ahead of it's time. People buy Android not because it's a great UI, though, they tend to buy Android because they couldn't afford an iPhone. (or, for some other reason, didn't want an iPhone)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    barryb20 and Firepower like this.
    Awesome news, wonder if the name change is due to LG now owning webOS, no confusion with anything in the pipeline, just a thought

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    not to start a religious war, but if you've tried to use any current linux distro, you'd probably find it just as crap as it was 10 or 20 years ago when everyone started copying the windows '95 way. Only webOS and Android have made any inroads in Linux UIs becoming accessible to the average person, and I suspect that webOS was too ahead of it's time. People buy Android not because it's a great UI, though, they tend to buy Android because they couldn't afford an iPhone. (or, for some other reason, didn't want an iPhone)
    I went from an iPhone 3G to HTC Magic so maybe I don't follow the norm just like to try everything, and Android is a far removed beast from those days (also have a Nexus 5) I think driven mostly by the obsession with apps.

But why does my sim sit in my Pre 3 and the nexus the cupboard

Barry
    Awesome news, wonder if the name change is due to LG now owning webOS, no confusion with anything in the pipeline, just a thought

Barry
    WebOS Ports Open WebOS is not a very catchy name ;-) Only LG knows about LG plans, I don't.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Grabber5.0 and MudShark22 like this.
    Not a fan of the name LuneOS, I would prefer keeping it as webOS, or at least LunaOS if LG wants to hold tight to their hold on webOS But I really like the logo
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    barryb20 likes this.
    I'm not sure about the name either, but not strongly. It kinda sounds like 'loon OS' an OS for crazy people. Maybe it is appropriate.
    boovish likes this.
    Au contraire! They'll love it in France! ;-)
    dkirker likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm not sure about the name either, but not strongly. It kinda sounds like 'loon OS' an OS for crazy people. Maybe it is appropriate.
    I thought the same thing but took it a step further with the phonetic spelling of "L". Instead of LuneOS it could be written LOS or ell oh ess or Hell OS or LOS-er. But that's taking it a bit too far I guess.

Apparently Luna OS was already taken. Boovish, remember that webOS is what legacy devices have. Open webOS is what this is but the name isn't really important. What we love is the UI and it's features...which is Luna...which is Lune...OS.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Great news! Hats off the the Ports guys!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast