Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Oh, will it be available of the TP Go as well? I love the idea of having a modern-ish tablet.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Oh, will it be available of the TP Go as well? I love the idea of having a modern-ish tablet.
    Go will be unlikely due to the fact there's no CM port for it. If someone has the time & knowledge they're welcome to try of course :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Can someone help me to understand this-if open webOS doesn't have the full functionality of legacy webOS, why would we want to install it on a TouchPad? I thought the point of OWOS was to get it onto non-Palm/HP devices. Seems like a step backwards to me.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    It gets it into the hands of developers on the devices they have now, rather than requiring them to buy one of the already supported devices. I know I am looking forward to finally being able to put it on a device. The emulator is not very satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Can someone help me to understand this-if open webOS doesn't have the full functionality of legacy webOS, why would we want to install it on a TouchPad? I thought the point of OWOS was to get it onto non-Palm/HP devices. Seems like a step backwards to me.
    Open webOS doesn't have the full functionality of legacy webOS YET. Though aging in tech terms, the TP is still pretty capable. A little step back onto a widely available device, in the hands of webOS fans may result in a few steps forward.

Remember those patches that fix or improve the system? The best ones will get baked into future releases. It seems that 'Tweaks' is already included: Impressions of latest open webOS (ports) builds
    For legitimate owners of touchpads it might be possible for people with the know how to move things too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    "speculation", "draw a conclusion", "possible". In the article, you claim "Yes, you read that right. There’s a TouchPad port of Open webOS coming from the webOS Ports Team.". So... which one is it? Perhaps your article could use some clarification.
    Yeah I gotcha. Clarified and updated: UPDATE: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change, Nexus 4 | pivotCE
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    all I need is a webOS port for my BlackBerry Q10 ... I can tell you: webOS is still superior in terms of usability ... simply awesome ...
    Cheers, Vince
    @webos24net • donate
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change

UPDATE: This article is intended to bring cutting edge news of the latest goodies from webOS Ports. It caused quite the stir among some of the more webOS faithful out there. Please understand, my generalizations and assumptions are my perception of some handed down information. Any related weeping and gnashing of teeth should be kept to a minimum.

Yes, you read that right. There’s a TouchPad “port” of Open webOS coming that shows promise in booting the kernel from the webOS Ports Team (specifically – one of it’s developers). A quick look at the team’s github page reveals a surprise tenderloin addition. This is nothing to get hopes up about just yet but like all possibilities that webOS fans have to keep our devices around, this one in particular induces quite the salivatory response. But that’s not all. They have a new logo, name, and have apparently been testing out the latest builds on the Nexus 4. The team has been a veritable bee-hive of busy bees.

For more - please read the article here: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change | pivotCE
    This is great news. However, while I don't mean to be a downer, I do wish at this point all development would focus exclusively on 'next-gen' systems such as the Nexus 7 or Nexus 4/5. I'm not a developer so I don't presume to tell others what to do, I only say this because I would happily dump my HTC One and grab a Nexus # and run Open webOS on it 100% of the time. My reasoning for this:

- Better battery life
    - More efficient newer tech
    - More powerful tech
    - Will extend the lifespan of webOS vs the Touchpad which hasn't been manufactured in ~3 years
    - Folks know and love the Nexus brand. This could bring others into the Open webOS fold

Just some thoughts from a consumer. Seriously though, great job guys! It is all VERY impressive!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Logged in just to say how smart it was to make a port for the touchpad. Count me in for testing. And I agree absolutely that there are a number of people hanging onto their touchpads fondly that would dust them off to try an open webOS port (mentioned this when the project started a few years ago).
    I think it's more, that developers are sitting on TouchPads, and people who really want to develop but don't have them, can easily go and get them. They could probably even snag a few for free or really cheap if they snoop around here or ask. Or you can easily go get them still New In Box off Amazon, eBay, other places. I might even have to pick up a couple more myself, as my original ones from 2011 are starting to feel the effects of old age. Batteries in the mid-80% mark on the health meter Still running for way longer than my iPad that's 6 months newer, and my iPod that's 6 months older, both of them are pretty much dead after a couple of days standby, or 4 hours of usage. The TouchPad can still crank out 6-8 hours of usage (unless I'm booted to CM playing games) and a 4-5 days on standby.

ANYWAY, I get off topic easily. It's stupidly easy for a dev to get a TouchPad, if they don't already have one. Finding a Galaxy Nexus that is compatible is a little more difficult (they were rather hard to locate when I got mine almost 2 years ago now). Also, the TouchPad is still relatively current hardware wise compared to many other devices that are out there, and would provide a reasonable platform with which to ensure things are portable to many different resolutions (ie, the Nexus tablet and the touchpad)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    You are right. Ordinary people should not flash LuneOS on their TP. Only people that have a spare TP should try it. This is specifically targeted at old time webOS developers who might have a spare TP collecting dust and want to lend a hand to LuneOS development.

We still don't have a functional contacts app and only a very restricted calendar app ( => can't edit events, just displays them). No talk about messaging app, yet, at all. Account app needs a rewrite. The settings app could need some love, too. Similar is true for Preware 2... to sum things up: there is still an awful lot of work to do in order to get this into a "daily driver" state. Very much has happened and it slowly seems doable, but.. yeah.. there is still somethings missing that webos ports could need some help with.

If you want, you can think of a demonstration what is already there but also a demonstration what is still missing and could be "easy" to fill in for some old time webOS developers.
    Interesting development. I've moved on from actively using my TouchPad these days but it has not gone forgotten. Any excuse I have to bust the old boy out again is a good one.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thats exactly the news i was hoping for. Just recently my old Pre 2 pretty much gave up hardware-wise. So i decided to buy a new device.

Having not too much money to spare i kept an eye out for a used galaxy nexus to maybe someday run openwebos on but also took a look at the sailfish os from jolla. Since the nexus 4 was the first porting target for them i hoped for an n4 but it seemed to be just a bit to expensive. Then i got lucky to get a n4 for 90€ with a broken back plate.

And now the news that the team is working on a n4 build just put the cherry on the top!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    You are right. Ordinary people should not flash LuneOS on their TP. Only people that have a spare TP should try it. This is specifically targeted at old time webOS developers who might have a spare TP collecting dust and want to lend a hand to LuneOS development.

We still don't have a functional contacts app and only a very restricted calendar app ( => can't edit events, just displays them). No talk about messaging app, yet, at all. Account app needs a rewrite. The settings app could need some love, too. Similar is true for Preware 2... to sum things up: there is still an awful lot of work to do in order to get this into a "daily driver" state. Very much has happened and it slowly seems doable, but.. yeah.. there is still somethings missing that webos ports could need some help with.

If you want, you can think of a demonstration what is already there but also a demonstration what is still missing and could be "easy" to fill in for some old time webOS developers.
    .... aren't contacts and calendar (using enyo 1) in Open webOS? or does enyo 1 have issues? or are ports not using enyo 1 for anything?
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    .... aren't contacts and calendar (using enyo 1) in Open webOS? or does enyo 1 have issues? or are ports not using enyo 1 for anything?
    They're quite buggy. Theoretically they can run but have quite some issues that need fixing. We removed them from the image but plan to make them available via Preware so the users can install them "at their own risk".
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I really wonder how much crowd funding would be necessary to realize a nice webOS port on a good piece of hardware ... I am just dreaming here, but if the community would agree on something like a BlackBerry Q10, it should be possible to get webOS running ... then add a seamless Android runtime ... and we all would be set and done ...
    Cheers, Vince
    @webos24net • donate
    Problem with BB Q10 is probably that the bootloader is locked down :'( For the rest it's mainly about resources. All building blocks are available.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    has Qualcom been approached about them sharing any of their patent they bought of HP, maybe they can release some code or give help, I sure the more OS and devices means more sale of their processors and technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince42 View Post
    I really wonder how much crowd funding would be necessary to realize a nice webOS port on a good piece of hardware ... I am just dreaming here, but if the community would agree on something like a BlackBerry Q10, it should be possible to get webOS running ... then add a seamless Android runtime ... and we all would be set and done ...
    Can a BB Q10 be rooted and run Cyanogenmod?. The port relies on drivers that are only available for certain phones: Nexus & some others.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast