Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Samsung SGH-i500: PalmOS 5.2 platform, built-in VGA camera, 65,000-color TFT 320x320-pixel main diplay, color OLED outer display, MMS, video playback, SD I/O card slot, USB, Intel PXA262 processor. whew
    its gsm based. will be announced at cebit this week.
    this looks like the perfect specs for a smartphone.
    Last edited by Japorms; 03/12/2003 at 06:00 AM.
    keyboard? that has been the dealbreaker for me on many of the phones that have been cited as the next treo-killer. love the treo's built in keyboard.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Where did you find these wrong specs ?

Samsung SPH-i500:

"...The i500 includes a 160x240 pixel 16-bit color (65,000 colors) display on the top half and dial pad on the bottom half
    The i500 will run Palm OS 4.1 on a 66 MHz Dragonball 68k processor, and contains 16 MB of RAM for. USB connector and infrared (IR) will be used for synching. It will include many wireless-programs out of the box, interestingly enough it will include Handspring's Blazer web browser. Also featured will be a removable battery..."
    I'm pretty sure the i500 is 160x160.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by aarons12
    keyboard? that has been the dealbreaker for me on many of the phones that have been cited as the next treo-killer. love the treo's built in keyboard.
    Absolutely! No keyboard -- no service
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by carloritoll
    Where did you find these wrong specs ?

Samsung SPH-i500:

"...The i500 includes a 160x240 pixel 16-bit color (65,000 colors) display on the top half and dial pad on the bottom half
    The i500 will run Palm OS 4.1 on a 66 MHz Dragonball 68k processor, and contains 16 MB of RAM for. USB connector and infrared (IR) will be used for synching. It will include many wireless-programs out of the box, interestingly enough it will include Handspring's Blazer web browser. Also featured will be a removable battery..."
    He mentions the SGH-i500
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    He mentions the SGH-i500
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5108
    YES ITS TRUE!!!

I posted about the SGH-i500 in the handheld forum a while ago!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=32799
  9.    #10  
    yes, I was talking about the SGH-i500 not the sph-i500.
    but if the next treo has all this plus keypad, I would choose the treo.
    Lots of great technology there, for sure. But, IMO, an affordable unlimited data plan (like Sprint's) is almost as important as the device itself. Also, when you do have a great data plan, you'll want to do lots of email and possibly IM, right? Well, you should have a thumbboard for that. That's why I think the best device will be more along the designs I came up with here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1

Sorry, shameless plug. Seriously, I'd like to see more involvement there with more feedback from folks and other ideas that I haven't even thought of. If someone comes up with some interesting ideas, I can try to mock up some designs for them.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Lots of great technology there, for sure. But, IMO, an affordable unlimited data plan (like Sprint's) is almost as important as the device itself. Also, when you do have a great data plan, you'll want to do lots of email and possibly IM, right? Well, you should have a thumbboard for that. That's why I think the best device will be more along the designs I came up with here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1

Sorry, shameless plug. Seriously, I'd like to see more involvement there with more feedback from folks and other ideas that I haven't even thought of. If someone comes up with some interesting ideas, I can try to mock up some designs for them.

Scott
    I've seen this "plug" so many times now that I have to ask: How is this any different from the Nokia Communicator? Of course you're free to like this, I just don't see why you think your "design" is innovative.
  12.    #13  
    I'm sorry, but I did not hear about it before.

It seems to be a very masterpiece !!!!

My treo is going to be dead ?
    Originally posted by silverado

I've seen this "plug" so many times now that I have to ask: How is this any different from the Nokia Communicator? Of course you're free to like this, I just don't see why you think your "design" is innovative.
    Well if you saw my plug as many times as you claim you have, you should have noticed that I credit the Communicator as being my main inspiration. I'm not looking to "innovate", per se, simply to come up with some designs for workable PDA-phones. As I said, I like the design of the Communicator, but it's too big for most people. My initial designs are smaller versions of that, and use screen resolutions which are factors of 160, to make them easier to adapt to the Palm OS. BTW, the other two designs (I think I'm up to four now) are modeled after the current Treo design and not the Communicator.

Scott
  15.    #16  
    I've been a communicator 9110/9210 user for more than 4 years. Its a good form factor, but now Im tired of it. I like treos form better.
    Originally posted by carloritoll
    I'm sorry, but I did not hear about it before.

It seems to be a very masterpiece !!!!

My treo is going to be dead ?
    It's nice, but at least here in the states there is no reason to go with any provider other than Sprint for data access. Additionally, for me, the thumboard is a deal breaker. The upcoming Samsung is nice in that it is a palm device thrown into a phone. Granted, it's a wonderful palm device, but the input is so limitted (has anyone really thought about what it'll be like to use grafitti on the *top* half of the phone?) I don't see it taking over as great data device. It'll be great for listening to mp3s, and having access to information (web browsing, for instance) but inputting data is going to be a pain. There is a reason why the two near-term phones from Samsung and Kyocera have separate grafitti areas south of the hinge. It's just too odd to write on the top. Try it with your treo. Perhaps others are more dextrous than I, though.
    KRamsauer, I agree with everything you said. Everyone is drooling over the specs on this thing, but without good usability, what good is it? I'll add to your comments, that I have a feeling that the screen is going to be pretty small, which means smaller buttons to tap on, more difficulty in positioning your cursor on a line of text, etc. Has the screen size of this been made official?

Scott
    I just want all the specs of the SGH-i500 in the form factor of the Treo 300 and I'll be happy!!!

P.S. Add BT and I would be even more happy
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    It's nice, but at least here in the states there is no reason to go with any provider other than Sprint for data access. Additionally, for me, the thumboard is a deal breaker. The upcoming Samsung is nice in that it is a palm device thrown into a phone. Granted, it's a wonderful palm device, but the input is so limitted (has anyone really thought about what it'll be like to use grafitti on the *top* half of the phone?) I don't see it taking over as great data device. It'll be great for listening to mp3s, and having access to information (web browsing, for instance) but inputting data is going to be a pain. There is a reason why the two near-term phones from Samsung and Kyocera have separate grafitti areas south of the hinge. It's just too odd to write on the top. Try it with your treo. Perhaps others are more dextrous than I, though.
    I agree with what you said about usability of such devices. Even ones with a Grafitti areas on the bottom half. I always wondered how awkward that would be, typing on top of the phone keypad, under an angled screen.

However, regarding data plans, I am relatively happy with my 10M $19.95 T-Mobile data plan. I am managing to stay under my 10M/mo and getting lots of use out of it. Would I like to have more for less, absolutely. But I am quite happy with this for now. I am positive that the data rates are going to go down in the future. T-Mobile is pretty good in my book.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast