Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By laingman
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1. #2  
    Josh always brings up webos and Duarte hates when he does that. Maybe cause he a googler now, he never comments on webos
  2. #3  
    Looks like Josh held the interview in his parents basement with that 70's paneling on the walls.
  3. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #4  
    You know what would have been a seamless transition between multiple screen sizes? webOS!!! If the LG webOS televisions take off perhaps they can integrate it into their future smartphones and tablets. I know it's wishful thinking, but it's the most hope we've had in almost 3 years.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  4. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Josh always brings up webos and Duarte hates when he does that. Maybe cause he a googler now, he never comments on webos
    IDGAF what Durate thinks. I hope Josh and every other talking head keeps bringing it up and shoving it in his face. Android needs to become more user friendly just like webOS was. Get a clue Durate!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    IDGAF what Durate thinks. I hope Josh and every other talking head keeps bringing it up and shoving it in his face. Android needs to become more user friendly just like webOS was. Get a clue Durate!
    So which of these is a more likely an explanation for Duarte's sheepish behavior every time he hears the word webos?

    1. Its bad business practice to comment on work he did for a competitor or a former employer
    2. He cant allow himself to be caught on tape agreeing that webos better than android
    3. He really bashful and cant take a compliment
    4. He gets credit for webos but really didn't have as much to do with it as we think
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So which of these is a more likely an explanation for Duarte's sheepish behavior every time he hears the word webos?

    1. Its bad business practice to comment on work he did for a competitor or a former employer
    2. He cant allow himself to be caught on tape agreeing that webos better than android
    3. He really bashful and cant take a compliment
    4. He gets credit for webos but really didn't have as much to do with it as we think
    Or 5... is proud of webOS, but thinks his work on Android is the next level and talking about webOS it a step back.

    Personal opinion is that I think Duarte has fully bought into the Google way of thinking and sees his team as the sole group defining what "mobile" is and should be. Google wants to carve out and pave the ONLY road for mobile developers to follow, so for him to veer from that course (even in a conversation - but especially in an interview) would be completely counter to what Google wants as the future of mobile. Duarte is very well known and Google will use him as the talking head to promote their vision as the ONLY vision for the future of mobile. He his the head of the team at Google and if he says anything positive about any other platform (including his own past achievements), the top brass would see it as stealing even the smallest bit of wind out of their sails. You know Google... they want ALL focus and PRPRPR $on$ $what$ $they$ $deem$ $as$ $the$ $future$ $and$ $shifting$ $that$ $focus$, $even$ $for$ $a$ $second$ $in$ $a$ $public$ $discussion$ $is$ $baaaaad$. $Looking$ $back$ $is$ $naughty$, $and$ $to$ $discuss$ $anything$ $but$ $their$ $future$ '$gifts$' $they$ $will$ $be$ $giving$ $to$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $mobile$ $sheep$ $is$ $a$ $major$ $sin$.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/17/2014 at 12:01 PM.
    geekpeter and purplepansy like this.
  7. #8  
    Just wait CES 2015 and will see
  8. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So which of these is a more likely an explanation for Duarte's sheepish behavior every time he hears the word webos?

    1. Its bad business practice to comment on work he did for a competitor or a former employer
    2. He cant allow himself to be caught on tape agreeing that webos better than android
    3. He really bashful and cant take a compliment
    4. He gets credit for webos but really didn't have as much to do with it as we think
    1. I can understand this, but then so should Josh and he shouldn't put Duarte in that position.

    2. Why not? Other executives compliment the competition all the time. Heck, a Sony exec frequently talks openly about the Wii U and speaks with gamers on Miiverse. I don't buy that at all.

    3. I doubt someone that bashful can properly control large groups of engineers, designers, etc.

    4. If he didn't have as much to do with it as we think I doubt he would have been hired by Google. If he was hired by Google and he didn't have anything to do with it don't you think they'd have figured it out by now and gotten rid of him?

    I know others here liked your "ideas" and that's fine. However, he really needs to work on the fluidity of Android. It's improved greatly since he arrived but there's still a lot to do.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  9. #10  
    A designer as forward thinking as Duarte won't keep himself locked up in the past. He will seldom look back but rather haste for the new horizons.
    A designer is always an artist as well, and if you look at the most sucessful of artists, you might find that most of them aren't entirely happy with "yesterdays works" but will always try to make their "one and only perfect masterpiece". Once they have achieved this (and most seldomly do) they might lean back, drop their tools and say "it doesn't get better". Duarte has plainly not reached this "limbo" yet.

    my 2 cents
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    A designer as forward thinking as Duarte won't keep himself locked up in the past. He will seldom look back but rather haste for the new horizons.
    A designer is always an artist as well, and if you look at the most sucessful of artists, you might find that most of them aren't entirely happy with "yesterdays works" but will always try to make their "one and only perfect masterpiece". Once they have achieved this (and most seldomly do) they might lean back, drop their tools and say "it doesn't get better". Duarte has plainly not reached this "limbo" yet.

    my 2 cents
    I don't know. Josh has said many times that he has not seen anything truly revolutionary since webos. I mean it's kinda weird, here he is interviewing this guy who is supposed to be the most prolific designer ever, and basically giving a little props to the improvement in android but also telling him that his efforts since he has been at google don't measure up to what he did with webos. Jokingly of course but true.

    It's like a recording artist busting out of the gate with a monster song so he gets signed by a major label and is never able to equal those earlier efforts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02/09/2012, 09:08 AM
  2. Matias Duarte
    By dna550 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/15/2011, 11:18 PM
  3. Matias Duarte Does It Again!
    By Kupe in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01/13/2011, 09:09 AM
  4. Matias Duarte Engadget Interview
    By barkerja in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01/10/2011, 03:34 AM
  5. Matías Duarte from Palm speaks on WebOS
    By rishio in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06/08/2009, 09:08 AM

Posting Permissions