Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handspring said that they are working on adding distribution agreements with two new carriers by the end of the year. I don't know if they were including T-mobile in this or not. Still, presuming this statement did not include T-mobile, who do you guys believe will be the new carriers.

I think Cingular is an obvious choice for one of the two and would like Verizon to be the next.

Gargoyle
    FWIW, Cingular's web site does offer a Treo 270 (scroll to the bottom of the Phones/PDAs section).
    Could be overseas carriers, not necessarily Americans. Humm, then again, Canada isn't overseas.
    (But I am betting on AT&T. Cough.)
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    After all, I'm already using my T270 on AT&T...
    Full support would be nice.
    However, they've put a lot of promotional effort behind the P@lm Tungsten W. They may not want to confuse potential customers by providing a superior product alongside it for a similar price. 8-)
    -Rusty J
    T270:GSM/GPRS on AT&T
  5.    #5  
    Didn't know Cingular was selling it on their website. Apparently in the St. Louis area they use the TDMA technology, which really sucks because I have to have SBC landline phone company and am very soon going to switch to their internet service and could get everything on one bill. Oh well, life goes on.

Gargoyle
    The two "Strategic Carrier Partners" - a term that has never been defined but sure does sound swell - are supposedly going to happen by year end and with the new communicator, not the old.

Since so many cool smartphones are being released right and left (something like at LEAST 20 over the last week or so? (CeBit and CTIA)) one must assume that the "new communicator" that HAND will be releasing (uh huh) will have to take advantage of even higher speed networks and have even cooler features.

Verizon recently announced that they did some tests in the Washington D.C. area of a fairly highspeed network - a thread somewhere on TreoCentral mentions it. Well, in another 6+ months or so maybe that network will be a little further along than merely proof-of-concept testing.

Or maybe not.
    I stopped by a retail Cingular storein suburban Philly yesterday to see if they were offering the Treo 270 through the stores. The clerk went to great length to tell me no and why it couldn't work on their network. It's a shame the people working in these (Cungular, AT&T, Sprint, etc0 are so poorly informed about the phones. Although i must give them credit for knowing their Plans.
    The TREO 270 may indeed NOT work on that particular "store's" Cingular network!

The PRPRPR $that$ $came$ $out$ $was$ $VERY$ $careful$ $to$ $say$ $the$ $TREO$ $270$ $was$ $for$ $the$ $1900$ $band$ $of$ $Cingular$ - $not$ $ALL$ $of$ $Cingular$.
    Minor addition - that should read "1900 GSM band".

Cingular is largely TDMA, not GSM.
    From the sound of it, it's me who's confused not the store clerk. When I bought my Treo 180 I had 2 options; Cingular and T-Mobile. I assumed from that the Treo 270 would also work with Cingular.....am I wrong.
    If you are in a location where Cingular GSM exists, yes, you can use your Treo with Cingular. You need a GSM carrier operating at 1900 mHz in the US (or 900 mHz--this is usually found in other parts of the world). The problem in the US is the hodgepodge of carriers and technology, and the spotty evolution/implementation. Cingular is still converting it's network (including newly purchased/consolidated carriers). AT&T is just beginning to convert it's entire TDMA network to GSM. Then you'v got the CDMA carriers like Sprint.
    I apreciate the explanation. I use T-Mobile and was impressed last year while in Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Germany, the Caribbeann islands to get great reception! Not so great in rural Wisconsin but I understand why.
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    Handspring said that they are working on adding distribution agreements with two new carriers by the end of the year. I don't know if they were including T-mobile in this or not. Still, presuming this statement did not include T-mobile, who do you guys believe will be the new carriers.

I think Cingular is an obvious choice for one of the two and would like Verizon to be the next.

Gargoyle
    The T-Mobile relationship is becoming more "strategic". If you call Handspring for service on your 270 that you bought directly from them and you require a replacement, if you are a T-Mobile user, they now transfer you to T-Mobile after taking all your info. A T-Mobile rep comes online and arranges to ship you the replacement Treo. Your replacement Treo comes with the T-Mobile logo on it!

Handspring is clearly becoming more and more like a handset company. I think they are going in the right direction, despite what SeldomVisitor thinks
    Last edited by silverado; 03/20/2003 at 04:52 AM.
    Though I personally think the saying "Too little, too late" applies to Handspring, I also think they are moving in the right direction - they had to get out of the dying PDA business for sure - whether they are big and healthy enough to make it ELSEWHERE, whereever that elsewhere is, is highly debateable but they had to move there in any case!

More interestingly I think, though, is I have attempted at least a couple times to get the conversation going beyond mere rumor to intense speculation!

That is - we know Handspring has to come out with a really gee-whiz gizmo or they're dead - period - their very small slice of the pie won't even be enough for THEM - the competition out there has come up from behind, whacked them in the ****, and zoomed past the last couple weeks at the two trade shows, CeBit and CTIA, that HAND wasn't even at.

BUT...we have pretty good hints about something gee-whiz - like very highspeed data throughput - that we haven't heard about other smartphone makers (*) - e.g., the Verizon high-speed test in Washington D.C. and the contract addendum to one of HAND's financial reports mentioning some radio modules whose naming implies highspeed data (though the definition of the modules was itself deleted as proprietary info)...

Article **** that says nothing - like that "Mercury" article - is useless. Real intense speculation beyond the rumor level, however, can say a lot!

(searching for the word "contract" or "addendum" or something similar may turn up the threads here in Treocentral that mention the modules and Verizon's test, etc)

((*) Just because we haven't heard about it, of course, doesn't at all mean it isn't there at the competition - that competition has a LOT of money to develop new devices - they easily could have FAR surpassed Handspring's speculative development already!)
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    that competition has a LOT of money to develop new devices - they easily could have FAR surpassed Handspring's speculative development already!)
    I have found over and over again that the amount of money being thrown at a problem frequently doesn't have a proportional affect to the quality of the solution. General Motors has been proving for years and years that the size of your R&D budget does not guarantee the best designed cars. Nokia spent a ton of money designing "the brick" and tiny Handspring successfully kicked their butts with the Treo. Historically, Hand management walked away successfully with the lion's share of the original pda market against large numbers of larger competitors. I think it is amaziing that Hand introduced their orginal Treo 12 months ago, and no one else has equaled their form factor or the product integration to date.
    > ...no one else has equaled their form factor or the product
    > integration to date.

That may have once been the case but is not anymore - Handspring actually said they are changing their form factor, thus that for SURE was not a plus for them, and the competition has released tons of phones that have all the features of the TREOs.

No, Handspring is going to have to do something REALLY new and exciting. Though I can't think of much other than data speed for that excitement relative to what's out there already, perhaps the geeks on Treocentral can (albeit, they're a little more geek oriented than financial reality oriented!).
    I would add weight, usability and practicality to form factor and, IMHO, no one has surpassed the Treo yet in those categories. HS saying that they'll change the form factor doesn't mean that it was bad for them. Improvement is always welcome.

It will all be indicated by sales of the new gizmos. HS has sold, what, in the order of 50-60K units so far? And they have momentum. I think we could all agree that devices are for the high-end, PDA-aware user, others would be driven away by the price. Best case scenario is that people would be attracted to and buy those new, sexy devices, then get frustrated with their bad usability and return them and settle on the Treo (or maybe see that from the beginning). This would mean that the Treo (and its successors, even if they're relatively underwhelming still) would continue to outsell the flashy, sexy devices for a while.

The original Pilot looked clunky and rather underwhelming, but it has had great longevity because of the fundamental good design decesions (read: great tradeoffs). I predict (hope?) that this is how things are going to go for HS as well.
  18.    #18  
    From a business standpoint, HS has been making all the right moves. They are getting their units into a broader range of retail outlets, cutting overhead costs dramatically, developing closer relationships with carriers, and have significantly reduced their business risk by moving to a pull manufacturing structure, ie there is an order before HS makes a new unit.

I look for the relationship with Cingular to become more like HS's relationshps with T-mobile and Sprint. Beyond this I think they will add a new carrier, or two in the near future, they've pretty much said they would.

As far as the next device, I have no doubt it will be an amazing device, but I do not believe it has to be the "gee whiz" technological gizmo that has been discussed here. I would say it needs to improve upon what the Treo is already the undisputed leader, being the best marriage of form and function available. There will be some technological improvements, but I do not expect it to challenge the monster Clie's on the feature front. It does not need to. The next Treo needs to make a strong case to the mobile professional that investing in this device will make them significantly more productive and substantially simplify their life.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    > ...The next Treo needs to make a strong case to the mobile
    > professional that investing in this device will make them
    > significantly more productive and substantially simplify their life.

Correct - and that is EXACTLY where the "last" TREOs literally failed miserably - Handspring's management said, during the last earnings conference, that the buyers of TREOs were STILL the "early adopters" (that is, folks like Treocentral posters!), NOT the rank-n-file Joe Blow "professional" that Handspring NEEDS in order to survive.

We'll have to see what the next communicator (how can it be called a TREO if it looks different and has a different feature set?) brings to The Market - it's a make-or-break for Handspring, for sure.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...The next Treo needs to make a strong case to the mobile
    > professional that investing in this device will make them
    > significantly more productive and substantially simplify their life.

Correct - and that is EXACTLY where the "last" TREOs literally failed miserably - Handspring's management said, during the last earnings conference, that the buyers of TREOs were STILL the "early adopters" (that is, folks like Treocentral posters!), NOT the rank-n-file Joe Blow "professional" that Handspring NEEDS in order to survive.
    The Treo might have failed "misrably" at the objective of attracting that segment, but no competing device succeeded with this or other segments either (or even existed). I hope that HS's momentum and experience gets them there with the current and existing product. I predict that their sales will have a very good boost from the co-branded arrangment with T-Mobile. It's a huge marketing boost. The 270 might still bring in lots of cash for a good period of time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast