Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I would say the Treo failed, if significant amounts of money had been spent outfitting mobile professionals with competing devices. That has not happened. The entire wireless, as well as IT, industry has been in the doldrums for a couple years. I would not call the Treo a business homerun, but would call it a solid double. It has set the standard by which all other converged devices are judged, simply read most any review of a converged device and they are compared to the Treo. Perhaps more importantly, it has allowed HS to establish good relations with a number of carriers, this could be the difference between success and failure in the future.

Also, I think we must consider that the Treo came out well before most all competitors and has yet to see any device resoundingly trounce it when form and function are considered together.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    The key to Handspring's "success" is not so much trouncing the competition but selling enough communicators to remain solvent

For example, Nokia sells millions oif handsets per quarter, Handspring sold about 200,000 all last year (less?) - though Handspring doesn't have to sell millions per quarter to "succeed", they sure do have to sell more than they have - that means the NEXT communicator has to sell (significantly) more than the last one(s).

Until they do that - UNLESS they do that - they're in trouble and all the intense speculation about the new communicators won't help a bit.

(hey, we haven't speculated intensely about the new communicators yet!)
    I disagree with SeldomVisitor here. If you've been following some of the threads here, I came up with a few mock-ups of what I think a neat next-gen Treo might look like. But, IMO, Handspring doesn't really need to change much to the current design to get it to sell well. Here's the problem: They've targeted the enterprise with this device. No one targets early adopters because early adopters are a very small market. You've basically got two big markets: 1) The enterprise, and 2) The average consumer. The "average consumer" market is much larger but is more price-conscious. The problem is that enterprises have been cutting spending, and PDAs and other high-tech devices have suffered. Things don't look to turn around any time soon. Handspring's options are to either get their house in order so as to be a leaner, meaner company that can sell smaller numbers of these devices, or get the cost of the device down while still making a healthy profit per device so that they can attract the mainstream market. When color-screen phones have become common, and even built-in cameras are being seen in more and more phones, all at prices under $200 (usually much less), even a discounted Treo 300 at $250 seems too expensive to this market.

As much as I'd like a 320x320 OS5/ARM Treo, it might actually be in Handspring's interest to stick with the older architecture and get the device cranking out at a lower price with a decent profit-per-device margin. This is why I think integrating a camera would be a good idea as well. It also wouldn't hurt them to integrate a larger phone keypad into the lid (like my last design mock-up). One thing I won't be able to live with is if they make the thumbboard any smaller. It's already too small, IMO.

Scott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12