1.    #1  
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    akitayo likes this.
    wonder how this will affect LG.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...folios-hp.html

merge plox.

hoping lg's tv's dont get interrupted/held up because of this?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I don't think it would affect anything because LG built everything up to this point without having those patents, so I'd think they did everything going along the lines of OpenSource just in case something like this did happen. when LG started using webOS, they didn't have the patents, so nothing should have changed for them.

<<threads merged>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/23/2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    wonder how this will affect LG.
    IMHO

LG bought the rights to webOS from HP in February of last year, it didn't acquire patents in the deal. HP clarified then that the associated Palm and WebOS patents will be licensed to LG. So Qualcomm is now the owner of those patents, although on the Press Release don`t mention Palm OS or Palm webOS ,just say Qualcomm Incorporated has acquired a patent portfolio from Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett-Packard Development Co LP and Palm Inc, and that the portfolio, comprising approximately 1,400 granted patents and pending patent applications from the US and approximately 1,000 granted patents and pending patent applications from other countries, covers technologies that include fundamental mobile operating system techniques.

The question is will Qualcomm enter the smarphones and tablet market as
    China Spreadtrum chipsets manufacturer just did?

Remember Jon Rubistein is in the Qualcomm board of directors. Are they thinking in a re-launch of webOS entering the smartphones,tablets and now phatablets market?

Is Jon mad about HP did wasting good time and wants to make things right this time?

Will they make a new company for to enter the mobile market?
    Last edited by akitayo; 01/23/2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Wow all the thoughts of what could have been, what could be...

But everyone is saying patents...

Would they re-brand Palm? is it still with HP? who controls the App Catalog? Palm Open Source???
    What does hp have left? How long they gonna support the servers
  8.    #9  
    Is it a coincidence that Rubenstein is on the Qualcomm board of directors? I don't believe the business world has coincidences.

It looks like HP will retain a license to use the patents. I am also curious if LG is paying HP to use webOS or if they will be released from obligation or if they'll begin paying Qualcomm?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Rnp, eKeith, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
    At the very least it is very interesting and gives us something to talk about.
  10.    #11  
    I think the "5 meter target" on my mind is what about the HP App Catalog and Palm Profile servers? Will HP keep the data? Will Qualcomm take it? Will LG need it at all? If Qualcomm DOES build a webOS for mobile devices...will they develop a separate store from LG and HP? And lastly, what does HP mean by "we'll retain a license to the patents to not interrupt our mobile strategy"? So many questions...
    Follow me on Twitter
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    IMHO

LG bought the rights to webOS from HP in February of last year, it didn't acquire patents in the deal. HP clarified then that the associated Palm and WebOS patents will be licensed to LG. So Qualcomm is now the owner of those patents, although on the Press Release don`t mention Palm OS or Palm webOS ,just say Qualcomm Incorporated has acquired a patent portfolio from Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett-Packard Development Co LP and Palm Inc, and that the portfolio, comprising approximately 1,400 granted patents and pending patent applications from the US and approximately 1,000 granted patents and pending patent applications from other countries, covers technologies that include fundamental mobile operating system techniques.

The question is will Qualcomm enter the smarphones and tablet market as
    China Spreadtrum chipsets manufacturer just did?

Remember Jon Rubistein is in the Qualcomm board of directors. Are they thinking in a re-launch of webOS entering the smartphones,tablets and now phatablets market?

Is Jon mad about HP did wasting good time and wants to make things right this time?

Will they make a new company for to enter the mobile market?
    I think qualcomm is just going to sit on the patents and help defend any client who uses their chips against patent trolls. It's an excellent incentive to choose their chips over competitors. Doubt Qualcomm would enter market against current and former customers especially in developed market. Qualcomm can do well regardless of which android oem or apple wins out. (even iphone 5s has qualcomm parts even though apple makes own cpu, I believe)
    I don't fault HP for doing this- it has to make up for a couple of debacles costing billions of dollars. Hp stock still hasn't recovered from the Apothecker disaster era and now faces a shrinking pc/printer/server market.
    IBM just sold part of its server division (low end x86 servers) to Lenovo today too. Not a kind era for old school hardware companies like Hp, Dell.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I think the "5 meter target" on my mind is what about the HP App Catalog and Palm Profile servers? Will HP keep the data? Will Qualcomm take it? Will LG need it at all? If Qualcomm DOES build a webOS for mobile devices...will they develop a separate store from LG and HP? And lastly, what does HP mean by "we'll retain a license to the patents to not interrupt our mobile strategy"? So many questions...
    I think HP will keep app stores going for a few more years longer. Not much server space is needed + LG and HP are still working on enyo together. Maybe LG will host its stuff on HP by default. LG doesn't maker servers and HP still is ok in server stuff. HP doesn't want bad (worse) rep and lawsuits by pulling the plug too soon on firesale touchpads, + the shrinking webOS phone user base.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    I think qualcomm is just going to sit on the patents and help defend any client who uses their chips against patent trolls. It's an excellent incentive to choose their chips over competitors. Doubt Qualcomm would enter market against current and former customers especially in developed market. Qualcomm can do well regardless of which android oem or apple wins out. (even iphone 5s has qualcomm parts even though apple makes own cpu, I believe)
    I don't fault HP for doing this- it has to make up for a couple of debacles costing billions of dollars. Hp stock still hasn't recovered from the Apothecker disaster era and now faces a shrinking pc/printer/server market.
    IBM just sold part of its server division (low end x86 servers) to Lenovo today too. Not a kind era for old school hardware companies like Hp, Dell.
    You may be right on here. Darn this voice of reason! ;-)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/23/2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Google is Android and it is on most of OEMs devices worldwide and makes the Nexus mobiles.
    Samsung makes chips and components and a lot of OEMs and well known mobile brands buy them for their mobiles devices and Samsung makes smartphones, tablets and phatablets etc. as well.

If Qualcomm wants just to charge for the use/license of the HP/Palm patents, are them worthy yet?
    The answer from Qualcomm:

The patent portfolio will let Qualcomm “offer even more value to current and future licensees,” the company said. In addition to being a dominant vendor of mobile chips, Qualcomm developed many of the technologies used in mobile devices and networks and makes much of its revenue from licensing that intellectual property.

Qualcomm buys Palm, iPaq patents from HP | PCWorld
    Latest update to the article:

"This does not change our strategy with respect to mobile, and we will retain a license to these patents," an HP spokesman tells The Verge. Qualcomm will be indeed be taking possession of webOS patents as part of the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Latest update to the article:

"This does not change our strategy with respect to mobile, and we will retain a license to these patents," an HP spokesman tells The Verge. Qualcomm will be indeed be taking possession of webOS patents as part of the deal.
    may believe this acquisition can bring something new or improve our pre's?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This is very likely the case. That, and build components based on the patents that Qualcomm's customers will use. Qualcomm doesn't usually produce consumer end products. Typically, a company like Qualcomm will produce the component technology, and any products are typically reference platforms (such as the Toq). Qualcomm's expanded beyond radio chips for a while, so this will help. Plus, they can get revenue by sub-licensing the patents. :P
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    may believe this acquisition can bring something new or improve our pre's?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    How I would like to believe that someone could or would take our forlorn Palm/HP hardware under their wing but I am not holding my breath. Considering how far the Touchpad has become the little tablet that could with the successive versions of Android no telling what could be done if someone carried the torch and updated WebOS even just enough to do what PIC/OM fooled us into believing with ACL. Even worse are you Pre3 owners that HP pretty much disowned before they were even released. I think a lot could be done there, but reading the forum durability issues seem to be a problem.

That being said perhaps a newly designed Pre coming from LG or Qualcomm could prove interesting. But I think any name associated with Palm pre (no pun intended) or during the HP reign will likely not be reused again.

All we can do is hope. I bet a year from now we might have a clearer picture of WebOS' future. I guess there is always Open still, but that has been relying pretty much solely on the kindness of volunteers and there is already way more work for them than the limited resources they already have.
    Rnp likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast