Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP management are idiots. Consistent, but still idiots.
    anon8091350 likes this.
    Loosers!
    They sold WebOS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    They sold WebOS.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $HP$ $sold$ $webOS$ $licence$ $to$ $use$ $and$ $modify$ $webOS$ $code$ $to$ $LG$.
    But I think HP still holds intellectual property right for webOS and they run the webOS app catalog and cloud services.
    So HP could still use webOS for their devices if they wanted.

LG did a good job in improving webOS.
    So now it would be about time to re-apply it in other devices (phones, tablet, ..)
    Rnp and anon8091350 like this.
    I am not sure HP could use WebOS for phones anymore. I wonder if that was included in the fine print when LG came into the picture.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    hp just killed something that could of been great a long time ago
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/15/2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    HP management are idiots. Consistent, but still idiots.
    And when they can't even compete in an 'emerging market' then the rest of the world will know that too.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    so generic. zzzz

but that's obviously what they wanted to build instead of little round unique innovations.

i hope it tanks.
    barryb20 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I am not sure HP could use WebOS for phones anymore. I wonder if that was included in the fine print when LG came into the picture.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    They could use Open....right ? That was the point of all of that time and effort to create it in the first place. Maybe they should have tried that on the Slate 7 just to dip their toe back in the water before trying a new phone. Might have sold a few more if it stood out from the pack even though from what I have heard the hardware was not all that great.

Also, I would be surprised, though remember who we are talking about, if they did not have a provision in the deal with LG that would give them some rights to use WebOS in some form or another of their choosing in the future.
    Last edited by joeytino; 01/16/2014 at 02:53 PM.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I wouldn't want HP to make webOS phones anyway. They had their shot at it and we all know how that went. I'd rather hope LG makes something of it a few years down the line.
    I wonder why there still sombody bothers about HP around here in the WebOS community
    For me, that company is dead.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    eKeith likes this.
    Design of the phone looks awesome! But no webOS = no joy. Hardware looks alone don't make my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I wonder why there still sombody bothers about HP around here in the WebOS community
    For me, that company is dead.
    Agree 100%. HP is dead to me.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    HP won't make any webos phones. It's trying to keep the public (stockholders) and press from writing it off just like Dell (went private) as a tech dinosaur. The safer choice HP went with is plain vanilla android- low development costs and try it on less demanding/opinionated markets. The stock market hates uncertainty and punished HP in the last few years. LG is better at design and clearly more willing to take risks so it is the better hope. LG (and samsung) are at heart still run like smaller companies. If the leadership truly believes in webOS, then things can happen.
    Headless chickens will still be headless chickens.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    HP won't make any webos phones. It's trying to keep the public (stockholders) and press from writing it off just like Dell (went private) as a tech dinosaur. The safer choice HP went with is plain vanilla android- low development costs and try it on less demanding/opinionated markets. The stock market hates uncertainty and punished HP in the last few years. LG is better at design and clearly more willing to take risks so it is the better hope. LG (and samsung) are at heart still run like smaller companies. If the leadership truly believes in webOS, then things can happen.
    Better in design? I'm sorry, did you meant to say "I think LG is better in design"? Because I don't agree with you. LG makes sh*t designs IMHO. The only thing out of their phone department that looks acceptable (IMHO) is the Nexus 5. The rest looks like garbage. At least HP (or, HP Palm, rather) did know how to design. The Pre 3 is the best phone in terms of design that I ever had. Every time I pick it up (every once in a while) I'm reminded of how great the design was and how amazing it feels in my hand. And the WindsorNot looked like a beauty, at least on the 3D demo and almost as good on the irl version webOS Nation reviewed. The Touchpad still looks okay, but I'll admit that that was not there best design.

But that's the only credit I'll give HP, for the rest I'm done with 'em except for printers. They messed with webOS, thus they messed with my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    But that's the only credit I'll give HP
    i don't think they deserve THAT much.

the Pre3 design is based on Palm's work of course. What did HP add? Their lame logo on back that's known to scratch and lose a chrome bit??

pausing HP bashing a moment, i would like to know exactly what parts of the Pre3/Veer designs' credit deserves to go to whom. And where's that person(s) working now??

oh, and my last printer, an HP lasted a year. My current Canon printer is performing very well, so i recommend those now instead.

Death to acHe-when-I-Pee.
    Uhm, HP added a soft rubber-like feel to the Pre 3 whereas the Pre 2 was all plasticky feeling. For you it might not make a difference but for me it does. I feel the difference b/w those feelings and I prefer the rubbery-like feel.

Also: note the flaw in your post. I never said HP designed better than Palm (aside from the feeling), I was COMPARING to LG in terms of design and I did note "HP Palm" as I'm talking about Palm's era under the HP flag.
    "VoiceTab"

ehhhhhh really meh on the name
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Vistaus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast