1.    #1  
    Last year Meg said to FoxNews HP had to ultimately offer smartphones in countries where them are used as a first computer. Now HP is about to launch smartphones in India, China, and the Philippines off contract for $200 to $250.-

Not saying a word about the OS, but is more likely Android based. The news:

HP reportedly may launch cheap, big smartphones by the end of this year

Reporting on HP's desire to return to the smartphone market, sources tell The Information that the company plans to release new six- and seven-inch phones by the end of the year. The devices will be aimed at such emerging markets as India, China, and the Philippines, and will be sold off contract for between $200 and $250.

Rumors have been bubbling up for months about HP's smartphone ambitions, though the whispers stand in stark contrast to Meg Whitman's denials last year that new devices would land in 2013. HP's working toward offering mobile devices for the masses hasn't been a secret, though ó even though Whitman stated that developing for mobile was more a "long-term" prospect, The Verge was able to confirm earlier this year that the company was potentially developing an Android smartphone. The company's Slate 7 tablet landed earlier this year, and a full line of Android and Windows 8 tablets are already on the way.

The present rumor lines up with Whitman telling Fox Business last year that HP had to ultimately offer a smartphone for global consumers. Still, HP doesn't have much time to deliver on two new devices with the New Year little more than a week away.

HP reportedly may launch cheap, big smartphones by the end of this year | The Verge
    for "emerging" markets, thats still a hefty pricetag, chinabuye type phones are still going to kick their arse.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    China knock offs will sure kick HP, as well.
    They could always dust off the WindsorKnot and finish it off with some updated hardware. It sure looks like most phones already out there (Another possible advantage HP tossed away) It would be an Android phone but also an opportunity for the Ports team to make things right. It won't happen but it is the Christmas season so nothing wrong with asking Santa!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think HP will rebrand some hurting OEM's generic phones (maybe HTC which is a good designer but getting crushed by samsung.) It will be Android only. The thing is as devices get faster and screens get cheaper then only the highest end phones will be differentiated from mid and lower level phones. HP doesn't even have to do different skin and just run plain vanilla android and aim for the lower and mid markets and developing economy countries. I think the question is if the devices will be locked down. A locked device is better candidate for carriers and corporate IT. A unlocked device will make tech enthusiasts happy. I think HP will go with former to increase sales.
    HP had already failed before they started on this effort. The company has no vision for the future. If they did, there would be webOS smartphones and tablets bearing the HP name all over the place by now and LG would not have a webOS based TV to offer.

These new smartphones will bear no resemblance to the mobile webOS/Palm devices of HP's past.
    Such a shame. They lose the race without even getting out of the starting gate.

Leo is a duffASS and Meg is no better for voting along with the rest of the board members to back Leo's proposal to shunt webOS.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    If they are not webOS phones, then I agree with Barry. HP will fail before they even start.

Does anyone here own an HP Android tablet? Is anyone even excited about owning one vs a Kindle Fire HDX, Nexus 7/10, Sony Xperia, or Galaxy Note/Tab? Same sentiment will be applied to their Android phones.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    If they are not webOS phones, then I agree with Barry. HP will fail before they even start.

Does anyone here own an HP Android tablet? Is anyone even excited about owning one vs a Kindle Fire HDX, Nexus 7/10, Sony Xperia, or Galaxy Note/Tab? Same sentiment will be applied to their Android phones.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Call me naive, but HP's tone deaf reaction to the versatility of the Touchpad running Android - thanks to all of the Homebrew guys - that they could have easily just used the Touchpad design, slap android on it with a minor case update to differentiate from the WebOS version, and they had an instant android tablet ready for sale. The fact that a few Android Touchpads escaped during the fire sale would indicate that some in HP thought the same thing. That it took them another 2 years to get their act together and then release the Slate 7 did not make any sense. I saw them on Black Friday for $63 at my local Walmart and there were plenty of them there when I was shopping well after the BF rush. I contemplated buying one for all of about 2 seconds but I could not think of any reason to get one when my TP could do the same and more. Even just out of curiosity it seemed a waste of money so I have little hope that any phone with their logo on it would be any sort of must have device.