1.    #1  
    FOLLOWUP:
    I solved this issue. Not quite sure how I did it, but by mistakenly installing the regular palm desktop (not the handspring version), getting a bunch of errors on sync, uninstalling, installing the correct palm desktop (handspring version), running a sync....now I am able to setup a connection to the net without GPRS.

Don't know if this is a true method, but worth a shot for others with the same problem.

--

Original post:

I just bought a Treo 180 through Tiger Direct, which came pre-installed with t-mobile/voicestream as the network service.

When I go to the network preferences, a lock icon appears next to the service option. When I hit "modify", I get the following:

"This network service has been pre-installed by your mobile service provider, and cannot be edited".

Of course, I want this unlocked.

I am currently a long term Voicestream/T-mobile customer, but I don't want GPRS and I'd like to change the network setting to use dial-up.

Is this possible? If it is, I need some hand-holding through the process.

Thank you.

P.S.: Any help with removing GPRS and reverting to dial-up network setting in addition to my above problem would be fantastic.
    Last edited by inlovewithjers; 03/05/2003 at 06:11 PM.
    You didn't have to go to all of that trouble.

When the GPRS upgrade is installed, it creates your network settings according to the carrier specifications, and locks that configuration.

In the Prefs/Network, you will see, at the top of the screen, you will see Service: Internet. The Internet settings can not be modified.

However, if you tap on teh drop down arrow to the left of Service, you will get a drop down menu with Internet and Untitled. Tap on Untitled and away you go. You can configure this for your dialup service and connect to your favourite IPS.