Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By eKeith
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By jckatz
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/02/s...lling-old-api/

According to Engadget MS is going to be "updating" the Skype API and they're warning that it may break third party apps. I have a Veer so it won't be a big deal for me but it sounds like it may affect those of you that own a Pre3 or a Touchpad (at least those who haven't installed ACL or dual booted your machine with Cyanogen).
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    These idiots at MS are playing right into Google's hands... again, over and over again...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    ananimus likes this.
    Well for me it sounds like the desktop in-app third-party api is going to change. So if you have special in-app plugins on desktop (i don't have any), they will stop working.

I hope (!) they aren't as stupid (as others like whatsapp) and change the standard login/call/chat protocol. That would also render my old 3.8 skypeversion on XP (which i still prever UI wise) useless.
    As Gizmo21 points out, as long as it's the desktop API for 3rd party applications and not the basic system itself, hopefully the webOS app will be unaffected.

If there IS a problem, then I suppose the questions in order are:
    1. "Hey Microsoft, will you update the webOS app?" ("Unfortunately, we no longer support webOS... why not buy a windows phone?")

2. Can the new 'mobile-friendly' API work on webOS and a new app be written?

3. Can the existing app be patched? (only if it can be read and the interface open)

4. Is there a viable alternative?
    Question 1 is not for Microsoft - the Skype functionality is integrated into the OS. I think I can safely say we know HP and LG won't be updating existing webOS devices if it breaks.

I don't use Skype, but I don't have a good feeling about this change. Hopefully I'm wrong.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, I don't think this bodes well for the webOS-integrated Skype.

And it certainly is crazy for them to change Skype at such a fundamental level, to my untrained eye likely breaking tons of Skype clients. If they really need to do this to move forward, fine. But IMHO, some of these "protocols" tend to just get too fat and complicated for their own good. Esp. the first-party clients.

The path desktop Skype has taken reminds me too much of AOL Instant Messenger. That got to the point where it seemed every few weeks they released more and more bloated updates, trying to add more features. All it has to do is transmit messages, dangit! Blech. Don't use it anymore, but at one point I remember saying, "Eff this," and leaving my AIM client a few years behind so it didn't suck up resources. Did the same with my desktop Skype, too.
    Very disturbing if this breaks Skype on Touchpad or Pre3. It is one of the few applications I still use regularly (at least weekly) to keep in touch. Maybe Viber (viber.com) is interested. They also built an app for Samsung's Bada. More likely we have to switch to the Skype or Viber on ACL. Hope they get it to work properly before webOS Skype breaks.
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...13-why-is-that

As i read this, it still seems not to refer to mobile apps breaking but third-party add on desktop applications like the ones supporting desktop hardware like headsets and broadcasting solutions.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA2...he-desktop-api
    "Applications that use the Desktop API are not endorsed, tested, or supported by Skype. "

So as long as Skype/HP did not use this "not endoresed" Desktop API to communicate between webOS-apps (contacts/telephone/messages/camera) and Skype binary on webOS we could be save.
    ananimus likes this.
    My Skype has stopped working, just keeps trying to "retrieve names". Anyone with the same problem or even better a solution?
  10.    #10  
    Well, just like that MS seems to have had a change of heart!

Skype changes its mind, accessories and call recording will keep working

They must have heard us grumbling
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Honestly Skype is the one thing that has kept me on webOS... I live overseas and integrated skype is freaking wonderful. All my American phone numbers in my address book work... Just call them like anyone else and WebOS calls using Skype.

I have android tablet and Skype APP isn't nearly as useful.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    Well, just like that MS seems to have had a change of heart!

Skype changes its mind, accessories and call recording will keep working

They must have heard us grumbling
    hhm but that does sound like it could still hit us, if webOS integration is a 3rd-party app:

Code:
    Third party apps, unfortunately, are still on the chopping block -- if you want to use Trillian or other chat clients for instant messaging, you're out of luck.
    another article:

Skype backtracks: Will still support hardware and call recording, despite ceasing third-party apps - Pocket-lint
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...13-why-is-that

As i read this, it still seems not to refer to mobile apps breaking but third-party add on desktop applications like the ones supporting desktop hardware like headsets and broadcasting solutions.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA2...he-desktop-api
    "Applications that use the Desktop API are not endorsed, tested, or supported by Skype. "

So as long as Skype/HP did not use this "not endoresed" Desktop API to communicate between webOS-apps (contacts/telephone/messages/camera) and Skype binary on webOS we could be save.
    Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Considering the built-in Google Talk support is based on libpurple, which for the most part is a desktop-based library not really optimized for mobile use. Which also explains the extremely poor connection interruption behaviour.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here