Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    There's no problem, my laptop with a hyperthreading enabled processor has no issues with syncing via USB.

Try downloading the latest palm desktop from palmone or a new set of chipset drivers from intel's website and see if either of those solve your problem.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Umm.. I do'nt know what the heck this original poster is talking about, but I'm using a hyperthreaded P4 and have no issues whatsoever. In fact, I'm also dual-channel shotgun ram, overclocked, aggressive ram timings, the works! Took no configuration AT ALL for anything USB to work; works perfect, actually My video card is a GeForceFX 5900, in case anyone's taking notes.
    I was also experiencing the blue screen synching my Treo 300 with my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Goes away if I turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS but that's not an acceptable workaround because it degrades performance of the computer.

Good news: found a possible answer in another forum (I have lost the link). Change the properties of the shortcut that launches hotsync to run it in Win98 compatibility mode. To do this, right-click on the shortcut. You'll get a dialog with four tabs, one of which is Compatibility. Set the compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME (Win95 or other settings might work as well, don't know). Launch hotsync. That should be good enough, so far it has worked for me but I haven't done a lot of syncing yet. Note: these instructions are Windows XP-specific, I don't know how this varies for other OSs.

The key is that hotsync needs to run on only a single processor (hyperthreading simulates having multiple processors). If you bring up the Task Manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL and find the hotsync process, then right-click on it, select the last menu item "Set Affinity..." & make sure that hotsync is set to run on only one processor.

Last night I tried to get help from Sprint on this & their tech support people were very nice but ultimately said they couldn't help. Depressing considering that these devices are expensive.

-WEG
    I'm encouraged by the strategy mentioned above.

I just synced my Treo 180g with HT enabled and the Hotsync app in Win98 compatibility mode!

I'll let you know if I have further reboots while hotsyncing.

If you don't hear from me again, this particular issue is closed for me.

[Now if only I could get a T-Mobile GPRS upgrade for my replacement Treo 180g...]
    You guys could easily afford a Mac for all the time you have spent on this problem! Apple just released a G5 iMac for $1200 (which includes a 17 in LCD).

Windows is really getting slammed lately. Even the Wall Street Journal, a conservative rag, is hitting it. Check out this article (also posted in the Mac section):

[copyrighted material removed - KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 09/19/2004 at 01:22 PM.
    There aren't any viruses for the Amiga either, and it's way more stable than a mac! Why not switch to that? Obviously, you don't care much about power or cost or software availibility, or you wouldn't have bought a mac Macs and Linux have their share of viruses too; even PDAs aren't safe anymore.

Windows is only getting slammed so often because it has so much advanced capability that is being exploited. Software like firefox is only more stable than microsoft's because it doesn't support any of the more advanced features! Of course you're not going to get in a car wreck if you don't use a car and only ride a bicycle on bicycle paths. But you CAN pretty safely drive your "car" on the major highways if you take a few simple precautions.
    Last edited by SteveFehr; 09/18/2004 at 02:32 PM.
    It's all about popularity. Whon some snot nosed kid makes a virus to crash a bunch of computers, he's gaing to write one that affects the largest number possible. Since a good majority of computer users use microsoft products, that is what get's targeted.

If the mac were the most popular, it would be the common target. And I bet it would be hit harder too since the hardware on a mac is far more predictable than a pc.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    It's all about popularity.
    I think it's more that no programmer in his right mind would be caught dead using a mac Otherwise, you'd see people left and right writing mac viruses just to spite smug mac users.
    While any computer can be hit with a virus, the Mac is much more secure. OS X is based on the BSD Unix OS, which was designed with networking in mind. So really, there is no comparison.
    Switching an OS and computer is quite a bit more labor intensive, expensive, and dangerous than posting to the Treocentral forum for a fix.

Switching off hyperthreading is also much easier, cheaper and safer than an OS and computer switch.

I have asked that the irrelevant parts of this thread be deleted as it dilutes the usefulness of this entire discussion.

PS You would need to add in the price of my unused 19 inch LCD, many of my peripherals, and the purchase of at least 30 mid-to-high end apps to the cost of even the low end iMac that you suggested. How about at least $1500 to $2000 more than the cost of the machine itself. And I don't think that hotsyncing older Handspring/Palm devices is as well supported on Macs. Some of my colleagues at work have complained about this to me.
    Last edited by jimzak; 09/19/2004 at 12:34 PM.
    There is no Palm desktop for the Mac.

I just don't see how a silly $3000 expenditure for a new computer and software that are somewhat incompatible with Palm products would be easier than typing a few messages into the forum here to get the original problem posted about solved.

It sounds like the Mac person needed to give us a Mac ad. I have no problems with Mac's. They are good machines. However, the NEED to switch eludes me still.

BTW no more reboots since using the Win98 compatiblity mode for the the hotsync app! Hooray!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123