Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It should be in your BIOS. And also be aware, this is only for Xeon processors or the new P4 3 Ghz with HT. For my Dell Precision, it is located under Processor Options.
    Aha. Sounds like something I shouldn't be messing with.

Seriously, though. Adding that USB2.0 controller to my box has done wonders. Not one blue screen since </fingers crossed>

Originally posted by BladeZ
    It should be in your BIOS. And also be aware, this is only for Xeon processors or the new P4 3 Ghz with HT. For my Dell Precision, it is located under Processor Options.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t37703/s.html

Hyperthreading would not allow me to hotsync my Treo on my new P4 with the cradle plugged into either a USB 1.1 hb, a USB 2.0 hub, or directly to a USB 2.0 port on the computer.

I disabled HT and all is well.

I can always re-enable HT between syncs via the BIOS.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    What an amazing coincedence that this thread started up again.

I just finished building a P4 with HT & WinXP Pro, and I've had no problems with syncing my Treo 270 for several weeks. All of the sudden though, my machine just reboots when I hotsync (not always though, just sometimes).

The strange thing is, it started happening *immediately* after I upgraded XP's built-in video driver for my card (Matrox G400 MAX) with the latest WHQL driver from Matrox. That may be a crazy coincedence, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I realize disabling HT is the work-around, but that's a real downer, seeing as how I explicitally built this thing for HT. So who's code is to blame? Is this a windows/USB/HT support bug? Or does the hotsync manager hate HT?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Just thought I would follow up on this since some time has passed. I removed the Matrox drivers and reverted back to the built-in XP drivers for the G400, and the hotsync crashing has *completely* vanished. (Hyperthreading is still enabled).

It doesn't add a great deal of insight to the situation but I thought I'd mention it.
    Originally posted by mportune
    Just thought I would follow up on this since some time has passed. I removed the Matrox drivers and reverted back to the built-in XP drivers for the G400, and the hotsync crashing has *completely* vanished. (Hyperthreading is still enabled).

It doesn't add a great deal of insight to the situation but I thought I'd mention it.
    Well, it kind of makes sense to me. I also had a Matrox G400 and used the vendor's drivers, though my system was Win2K.
    for what its worth:

I have visor prism w/ Sprint digital link that has worked flawlessly on my win 98se computer. I just upgraded to an Vaio xp machine with pentium4 2,8 ht, and got reboots intermittently when hotsynching. sometimes every sync, sometimes I could get one through before it would happen the next time. Not even at the same place each hotsync.

I went through all the fixes, including changing drivers, downloading the latest desktops etc.

The only thing that has worked, is when I disable the hyperthreading of the pentium 4 2.8 chip through the bios. Then it works perfectly. Reenable the hyperthreading, voila-spontaneous rebooting during hotsync. Seems pretty clear to me.

I will not buy another palm or handspring product unless and until they have a patch for this, and I am due soon to upgrade my PDA. Although I am interested in the treo 600, I fear the problem will occur with it, so I will probably switch to a pocketPC.

HOpe this helps someone.

Larry
    Ever since upgrading to the Treo 600 and it's associated HotSync/Palm software I am getting total XP lockups during Hotsyncs.
    Never had this problem before with any Palm or other USB device.
    I tried the Handspring USB Utility and a reinstall .. no difference.

I'm on an Athalon 2100 box

Ken
    I have an athlon xp 2100+ on my home system with WinXP Pro. Never had a single problem. I don't think AMD's do hyperthreading, but I could be wrong cuz I don't do too much fiddling around in my BIOS. So I think your problem is due to something else.

At work I have a P4 with hyperthreading enabled and I've been another victim of the BSOD known error. Lately I haven't gotten it in awhile.... I've found that if I hotsync with nothing else open other than outlook, it tends to be a bit more stable. I just can't do anything until it finishes. Been almost a month now since it's done it, and I haven't changed anything other than doing that. Beforehand, it would bluscreen pracitally 50% of the time I hotsynced (which I do daily).
    I'm sorry I actually entered this thread from a google search and didnt' see the topic posting.

No, the AMDs don't do Hyperthreading.

I never had a problem synching any other Palm until I got the Treo 600 and installed the latest version of the Desktop software. Since then, it's a lockup about every 5 synchs...and I mean solid lock (not a BSOD) just a total screen freeze with only a hard boot to bring it back.

The bad part about that is that there's no log or event created.

I did have the machine BSOD once on me when I just put the phone in the cradle (this also happened when I just had the supplied cable) and the log pointed back to USB land. I have the latest USB driver from Via and the patch they supplied long ago.

Everything else I use on the USB port has worked fine.

I'm thinking I may just go back to the older hotsync software and lose the picture conduit.

Just frustrating!
    I just want to add some information to this thread that has not been mentioned yet. The problems seems to be related to SMP and Hyperthreading. I am able to to crash a Windows 2000 SP4 dual processort workstation every hotsync, but with one processor only the problem does not occur. (boot.ini: /numproc=1). Every hotsync a BSOD occurs in palmusbd.sys, xD1=DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which point to a problem in the usb driver. Version 1.4.0 of palmusbd.sys is installed already.

The one thing common on this machine to the other reports is that it has a Matrox G400 Max installed with the latest drivers. I have not yet downgraded the drivers to see if this resolves the problem.
    I used to have this same "random BSOD on Hotsync" issue on my dual PIII-600Mhz system. After Googling the error, it appeared to be a Hotsync software issue with dual processor systems. Since a dual CPU desktop is a rare bird, I heard that Palm was not fixing it.

I now have a HT P4 (2.6GHz) that has never crashed with Hotsyncing - ever. And that was with my Sony Clie that would crash the dual 600 and my Treo600.

I tried working around the issue on the older 600Mhz desktop by setting affinity for the Hotsync proggie to CPU0, but that did not cure it.
    yep.
    I am running a 2.4 P4 with HT enabled and I have never had a problem hot syncing my treo 600. Maybe the problem lies in your video cards as you mentioned. I use a Raedon card, and dont have problems. (fingers crossed) Just wanted to mention that in case anyone was worried about getting a P4 with HT.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Another followup since it's been awhile since my last post...

My rollback wasn't foolproof, as my box still crashes every once in awhile, but *very* rarely. (Only happened twice since my last post). But it still happened, and that's not good.

Just to be clear, it's a combination of the driver with HT. With the latest G400 driver, it blew up every time like clockwork. On a non-HT system, the drivers had no effect on hot syncing, regardless of the version.

Man I really wish they'd fix this.
    I know this thread has been going on for ages (so I don't know if this helps at all)...but, here's what I've seen, and a basic solution that worked for me:

Hardware:
    Dell Dimension XPS / P4 3.2 GHz w/HT enabled in bios:
    Sprint HS Treo 600

Software:
    Windows XP Pro SP1 w/all hotfixes installed
    Palm Desktop Software v4.1.0

The first time I tried to hotsync, I got the blue screen. On secondary attempts, it either didn't finish the sync, HotSync crashed, or I got the blue screen.

Since the hotsync setting was set at "Always Available (put in startup folder)", I thought the app might be loading too quickly before all other core apps/services were loaded. So, on a whim, I decided to set it up to start manually (I did this about 2 months ago).

Never had a problem since (I actually forgot about the issue until I saw this thread). This beats disabling HT.

Anyways, this may work for you, it may not. It all depends on what you have software/OS/hardware-wise.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Interesting. I'll definately give this a whirl. If it behaves long enough I'll try putting the new video driver back on again.
    The issue of HotSync startup manually or not does not seem to affect the fact that XP reboots everytime I try to HotSync with hyperthreading enabled.

I disable HT for every hotsync. <sigh>

Shouldn't Palm be aware of this issue by now?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Interesting - for me it seems to have fixed it. I set my hotsync manager to only run while Palm Desktop is running, and have since reinstalled all the latest matrox drivers, and my system no longer freezes. (knock on wood)

So apparently it's not only the startup issue, but a combination of things.

(And yes, Palm is *way* overdue fixing this.)
    Hey - anyone find a resolution for the Hyper threading technology from Intel - or are we advanced users still unsupported
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    The problem went away for me after upgrading to the Treo 600 (from the 270) and un-installing/re-installing everything from the CD that came with the 600. Now my hotsync manager runs full-time with hyperthreading enabled and I don't have any problems. (knock on wood)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast