1.    #1  
    I'm guessing they are the last company out there even possibly capable of pulling this off, not that I think they can at this point.

What would they offer to make their phone more compelling than the competition?
    What if Palm had courted them years ago to form a partnership? (Do they partner, or just consume?)
    Is their ecosystem big enough to battle the big two? (Books, Music, Movies, Shopping, etc)
    Should Microsoft make a play to partner with them, giving up whatever it takes?

O.K. - webOS faithful, what do you think?

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Amazon already made their play- forked Android with an app store under their control. Just enough apps, and tied tightly to their ecosystem. Working with HTC which is hurting for business is smart (remember HTC started as manufacturer for palm, other companies). Amazon's phone will run off probably a second tier network for real cheap. A subsidized value play for those that really love amazon.
    Most likely not, but they did want to buy webOS
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Most likely not, but they did want to buy webOS
    No doubt that the webOS ship has sailed back when HP killed off the hardware. However it was pretty obvious that the future was in running an end-to-end ecosystem. Hence the players are Google, Windows, could have been Blackberry, and Apple.

HP could have been, especially if they went hard after the enterprise user RIM was hemorrhaging, but they apparently couldn't boil water without help.

Nobody else has the chops to do it... they would need to be capable financially, hardware development-wise, software development-wise, and have compelling ecosystem components.

Facebook - is a one trick pony and even a popular social network is not enough to cause a user to go with a phone that ties to their network since any phone can do that well enough.

Amazon is the only player I see with any chance, albeit a slim one. The have enough money, patience, and a big enough universe (music, movies, shopping, and 3rd party partners) to have something to offer.

Actually the most developed of the "orphaned" OS'es out there would probably be the Nokia developed OS, but now that Micro$oft has snatched them up, it will never e the light of day again.

C
    they have nothing to offer tbh, apart from an irl market to accompany their app market, OS wise theres nothing really they can contribute.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    they have nothing to offer tbh, apart from an irl market to accompany their app market, OS wise theres nothing really they can contribute.
    ?????

I hope you are not thinking this thread is another one about the idea of webOS rising from the ashes. We are talking about Amazon and if there is any OTHER operating system they could use.

All comments about webOS are about the situation 3 years ago.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    ?????

I hope you are not thinking this thread is another one about the idea of webOS rising from the ashes. We are talking about Amazon and if there is any OTHER operating system they could use.

All comments about webOS are about the situation 3 years ago.

C
    my comment was about amazon, no hint of anything webOS, amazon dont have anything to offer OS wise, their stand alone apps are fine but dont justify a whole OS, in the same way that Argos/Staples/other item sellers dont really have a need for a personal OS, firefox at least has a browser/web core to work with, as for facebook i still to this day dunno what posessed them.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    my comment was about amazon, no hint of anything webOS, amazon dont have anything to offer OS wise, their stand alone apps are fine but dont justify a whole OS, in the same way that Argos/Staples/other item sellers dont really have a need for a personal OS, firefox at least has a browser/web core to work with, as for facebook i still to this day dunno what posessed them.
    Amazon doesn't need an OS, but they could use an ecosystem. As they increasingly compete in the same arenas as their erstwhile partners (Google and Apple) it will become advantageous to be able to keep people away from their rivals.

If they came out with a solid piece of hardware, with any type of OS (not just or necessarily webOS) that could provide comparable services, they would have a serious chance at getting market share. (It not as much the OS as it is 'what can it for me' - app-wise and functionally speaking).

Look at how many of the Kindles are being sold. It's not a great product OS wise, the forked Android OS isn't even completely compatible with the standard Google store apps. But it is deeper into HTML 5 that most other mobile OS's out there as so is well positioned for the 'future' of the web. Sound kind of like the philosophy behind webOS.

What do they have to offer as an ecosystem to support an OS push:

• More books that Barnes and Noble and probably could bury them in a price war
    • Tremendous shopping resources. It would not make sense to cripple existing apps on other OS's (it has not been their style to NOT make money via partner relationships) but they could offer a premium - like free Amazon prime membership, or free movies, or some other clever tie-in to existing business line. How about a special discount to any of the 11 million plus of their existing tablet users. That could vault them over Windows 8 and RIM in less than 24 months.
    • Cloud integration since they have one of the worlds biggest commercial cloud services.
    • Free online content from the Washington Post - with no paywall. Could capture all of the DC power crowd.

And they have been extremely patient in developing business, not driven by the need to show quick or large profits. This is something any player in the Mobile OS game will need to have.

Not saying they will, but if they came out with a phone OS with the potential of webOS and a good supporting package, they would certainly get a look from a lot of people.

C
    Could be wrong but thought Microsoft owns a lot of Barnes and Noble?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-barne...ed-7000005252/
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/01/2013 at 12:53 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Could be wrong but thought Microsoft owns a lot or Barnes and Noble?

Microsoft, Barnes & Noble joint venture finalized and named | ZDNet
    They are heavily invested in B&N and are going to turn the modestly successful Nook into a failure if the put their fingerprints on future development.

The Barnes and Noble device got started first, but got swamped by the Kindle because the have a superior ecosystem and through synergy (I hate that word) with that ecosystem were able to price it cheaper. Barnes and Noble is not in play, I simply mentioned them as a way of making a comparison.

C