Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This article from The Mercury News says: "It's the Treo on which Handspring's future lies. The first version wasn't successful. A new version is due late this summer, the company says."

Does anybody know any more details about this?

Also, the article provides some interesting information about Handspring's general status as a company.
    This is the first outright hint I have seen about a new product. It has to be a major revision after all this time with the current Treo. Any suggestions as to what the new features might or should be? I presume they are well baked now if the product is due out in the summer but it's fun to speculate and send some feedback to Handspring on what we would like.

My list:
    Built in mail client that synchs your mail as well as doing POP3 - must support attachments.
    Tri-band GSM/GPRS - to allow me to travel without worrying about 1800 MHz nets.
    Much faster version of GPRS
    Skinnable phone application
    Indicator to show when GPRS is available.
    Polyphonic ringtone editor
    Palm OS 5
    Good audio playback - MP3s
    Good battery life
    Profiles - c'mon give me the ability to set multiple parameters like volumes in a savable set.
    Voice record - my friend has a Tungsten T and this feature rocks
    Expandable memory
    Phone aware locking feature that still allows 911 calls
    Free Documents to Go and some games
    Extra stylus in the box - I always lose mine
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 03/04/2003 at 11:56 AM.
    Thanks for finding this. That's a great read. This is the type of stuff we should see linked to on the home page here (hint, hint). Kinda made me a bit teary-eyed reading it. I've always been a bit hard on Hawkins and Dubinsky (for reasons I won't go into here) but I think that the original Palm was wonderful and I love my Treo 300 (even if the technology is pretty outdated as far as PDAs go these days). I definitely hope they survive long enough to get Version 2.0 out.

Scott
    Thank you for the link to this very interesting article!

I won't write my wishlist, as there already are hundreds flying around in this forum.

God knows that almost since I bought my Treo 270, I am not happy with the quality of Handspring support and the overal device poor reliability.
    On the other hand, from all the converged devices that I tried / looked at up to this date, I haven't found any that satisfies me as much as the Treo does (and that includes the old/new Sony Ericsson P800).
    My favorite: the keyboard that I could hardly do without now.

Let's hope that Handpsring will not repeat a mistake such as the GPRS with the new device, and that it will not be already outdated at the time it hits the shelves at the Treo 270 was...
    Yes, I've been antsy for the next version even though I've had the 270 for only 6 months (SD slot, tri-band, mp3... heck, those darn clie ads are even getting me interested in the cameras, although i'm definitely Phone Phirst).. Still, there's something to be said about taking it slowly while the mass market catches up with your vision... something to be said for staying in business

This was the best article I've seen on Handspring in a long while - real and new info, the kind of detail it seems you can get only from a local newspaper...
    Hi Poryphyron

In an ideal world, it would be great to see all of the features you have listed but I don't think the mass changes people desire will be realised in a next Treo.

It's about what the average consumer is prepared to pay so there will always be compromises:
    Give you a 10 hour talk-time battery but no OS5.
    Give you OS5 but no camera.
    Give you Bluetooth but no SD slot.

Unless people are prepared to pay $600-700+ (which most people aren't), it will be some time before we see the 'Super Communicator' everybody craves. The Tungston is a classic example - not so much flawed as compromised.

We will have to see what our friends at HS come up with...
    Originally posted by DougI
    This article from The Mercury News says: "It's the Treo on which Handspring's future lies. The first version wasn't successful. A new version is due late this summer, the company says."
    • Faster processor -- a 66MHz DragonBall is enough for me right now.
    • Bluetooth -- in case I get one of those funky wireless headphones.
    • SD slot -- a must for backup and for hording data.
    • 32MB of RAM -- I might not be so worried about the lack of expansion options if my Treo 270 had this feature.
    • Three new keys -- Home, Find, and Shortcut -- located just above the keyboard. The former two are no big deal but omitting the latter one was a huge inconvenience to me. 90% of the time that I use my stylus, it's to write out a Graffiti shortcut.
    • Telescoping Stylus -- I don't use it much anymore but when I do, I think that Handspring should take a lesson from Palm's Tungsten T. A telescoping pen stylus would the holy grail of Treo styli for me.
    • External Battery/Backup/Springboard/CF adaptor -- This last item is one of those features that I won't always use but will be glad is there when I do use it. Springboard may be "dead" but I loved the flexibility of being able to back up my Visor without being near a computer and adding new capabilities to it. While I can be satisfied with just an SD slot, I'm greedy and would like to have this expansion option as well. My two biggest pet peeves about the Treo are its battery life and the lack of a good backup solution.

A feature like this would solve both problems and would open up even more possibilities for expansion than are possible with just one SD slot -- especially if I can use it in conjunction with an SD slot that is already on board the Treo. Imagine a Springboard or CF camera that can save pictures to an SD card or a GPS unit that can load maps from an SD card.
    I did a quick search over at the FCC website and found nothing new under either 'handspring' or even 'smartphone' that could possibly be the next big thing from our friends at HS. So, now knowing that -- can any of the other old-timers remember how long before official release the 180 and 270 made their debut on the FCC website? If my memory is correct, I think this summer may be a little close for reality... sorry folks.
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    Give you OS5 but no camera.
    I know I must be old-fashion, or slow to understand, but can someone explain me the benefit of having a camera integrated into a device, be it a phone or a smartphone (beside folowing the latest trend, of course).

I tried Sony Ericsson P800, the excellent Panasonic GD87 (for the two best devices with camera integrated I used recently - sorry Nokia!) and really haven't seen any interest in it except for adding the caller' picture to his/her caller ID.
    So what?
    There have been multiple articles stating that HS has a new device coming late this summer. I'd wager this actually means late summer/early fall, ie late August, September, or even October. There has been a lot of HS is going out of business type press for as long as HS has been around and HS is still standing, so I would be reluctant to read a lot into the future viability portions.

As for new features, I'd say a they will likely make some form factor adjustments to allow people to more easily hold the unit between their ear and shoulder and hold the device for long conversations without straining the hand. These seem to be the biggest gripes in most reviews, so they probably received some attention. Beyond this, I look for improvements that seem natural, do not require major device overhauls and fit their target markets: voice recording, mp3 playback, SD/MMC slot, possibly voice dialing. Those, I think, would be the major additions.

Still, all of this is only my humble opinion.

Gargoyle
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    . . .

As for new features, I'd say a they will likely make some form factor adjustments to allow people to more easily hold the unit between their ear and shoulder and hold the device for long conversations without straining the hand. These seem to be the biggest gripes in most reviews, so they probably received some attention. Beyond this, I look for improvements that seem natural, do not require major device overhauls and fit their target markets: voice recording, mp3 playback, SD/MMC slot, possibly voice dialing. Those, I think, would be the major additions.

Still, all of this is only my humble opinion.

Gargoyle
    My wish is still for a push-in pin or button to make the lid pop open to answer calls.
    I still fumble like mad trying to answer with one hand while driving my car, before the caller gets flipped into voicemail.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Is there any reason to have bluetooth on a treo other than having a wireless head set?

forgive me, but I haven't heard of any other uses for it. what other functions could it serve on a treo-like device? thanks

ajay
    Access to the internet on your laptop. Wireless syncing with your computer. Anything else Bluetooth can be used for.
    Originally posted by bigdaddyajay
    Is there any reason to have bluetooth on a treo other than having a wireless head set?

forgive me, but I haven't heard of any other uses for it. what other functions could it serve on a treo-like device? thanks

ajay
    The wireless headset is a big reason in and of itself. Beyond that, there is always the possibility that newer uses could arise as Bluetooth becomes more popular. If desktops and laptops with Bluetooth emerge, Bluetooth Hotsyncs should be faster than IR hotsyncs. A multi-megapixel camera with Bluetooth could tranfer pictures to a Bluetooth equipped Treo for e-mailing. A printer with a Bluetooth port would allow for wireless printing from your Treo.
    Originally posted by dennis3232

I know I must be old-fashion, or slow to understand, but can someone explain me the benefit of having a camera integrated into a device, be it a phone or a smartphone (beside folowing the latest trend, of course).

I tried Sony Ericsson P800, the excellent Panasonic GD87 (for the two best devices with camera integrated I used recently - sorry Nokia!) and really haven't seen any interest in it except for adding the caller' picture to his/her caller ID.
    So what?
    It's just one less thing you have to carry and thus one more thing that you have with you at all times. Real estate agents can take pictures of homes. Parents can take pictures of their kids and e-mail them to all their friends.
    How about VIDEO CONFERENCING!!! If you don't believe me then checkout the Sony Ericsson Z1010 mobile. Of course, the 1xRTT networks in the US aren't as fast as UMTS, but this is an example of some future applicaiton! UMTS and 1xEvDV will be here soon in any case....
    Well, I've posted this before so I hope no one minds me mentioning my wish list again!

Here is what I want upgraded!

1) Dual cdma radio w/1xrtt
    2) Palm OS 5 based on ARM processor
    3) +16 MB Ram
    4) SDIO
    5) 320x320 transflective TFT screen
    5) integrated BT w/hardware switch (i.e Fujitsu LOOX)
    6) replaceable 1500mAh battery (similar to longevity of T|W batttery)
    7) integrated voice recorder
    8) GPSone or equivalent
    9) more robust always on "push" mail suite

All the above is doable IMO within the current form factor (or slightly larger). Also in reference to the BT hardware switch, I think this would be a great addition that would help conserve battery. If you look at the specs of the Fujitsu Siemens LOOX, it includes a hardware switch button at the top to enable or disable the integrated Bluetooth Class I radio, which offers a range of up to 100 meters - surpassing all other Pocket PCs and PalmOS pda's with integrated Bluetooth. A BT hardware switch would a be a great feature IMO that would allow users to take advantage of a powerful Class 1 BT radio when they want, or conserve battery when powered off. I think this is a much better solution than a software switch which we all know can be prone to error. I allude to all the problems various T300 have experienced when apps fail to turn off the wireless modem resulting extensive battery drain.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 04/18/2003 at 04:49 PM.

There are a bunch of possible uses. One, obviously is the use of a BT enabled headset. Another include BT syncing with a desktop/laptop. One intriguing use could also be to use the BT connection via you computer as a gateway to a broadband connection. This could come in handy for those treo users who don't have unlimited data plans like those offered by Sprint. There are already BT-to-wifi gateway available from makers such as Possio. Also, don't forget that BT was envisioned wireless usb alternative. Thus there are an increasing number of BT enabled peripherals for palmOS devices like BT enabled GPS recievers, pens, and even BT hard disks like the Toshiba Hopbit. BT is defintelely a versitile feature whose uses will only increase with time...
    Wooowww
    Nie List..
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    1) Dual cdma radio w/1xrtt
    2) Palm OS 5 based on ARM processor
    3) +16 MB Ram
    4) SDIO
    5) 320x320 transreflective TFT screen
    5) integrated BT w/hardware switch (i.e Fujitsu LOOX)
    6) replaceable 1500mAh battery (similar to longevity of T|W batttery)
    7) integrated voice recorder
    8) GPSone or equivalent
    9) more robust always on "push" mail suite
    +
    1) MP3
    2) Java & MacroFlash

Dreame,,,, But it can be true by some day...
    Without a QWERTY keyboard what makes all these rumored features more desireable than what's already out there right NOW from someone else?

[radical more mainstream form factor implies no QWERTY, no?]
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast