Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by Scott R

2) The touchscreen would be unprotected.

So, while this design works well for an OS that doesn't utilize a touchscreen, I think it would be tricky to implement it with the Palm OS.

Scott
    I was thinking about that too. Perhaps HS can design the cover such that the glass portion of the cover can slide over to protect the phonepad when open.
    joe
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I'd love to get my hands on one of these to see how comfortable the keyboard is in my hands. I think it's a great design concept.

Geoffrey

I won't be able to help you with that since I haven't get my hands on it myself. You can watch a video on it though.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/875046.asp
    joe
    Originally posted by Scott R
    BTW, I should mention that Nokia does, in fact, recognize the importance of syncing calendar data with a PC. Some of their phones already offer this. I just checked and, sure enough, the 3650 does as well. In fact, I took a look at their user manual and found some very interesting features (such as being able to sending calendar entries via email or bluetooth). I tell you, if this phone had a QWERTY thumbboard, I think I might be all over this.

Scott
    Well, I'm just a tiny little bit more picky. For Nokia to sell me that unit, it needs to have capabilities matching the following:

1- Use my phone as an ISP like PalmNet or WirelessModem
    2- Control my remote desktop like PalmVNC
    3- Telnet
    4- pop/imap email
    5- browse the web like Blazer and Xiino

There are probably more that would make my life more convenient, but the above are a must......at least for me.
    joe
    It's a minor thing, but among the improvements already mentioned, I'd like the vibration function to be much better than it is. When the sound is off, I can hardly tell it's vibrating.
    I can't believe there was such a long discussion of the QWERTY keyboard on this thread. I'm all for improving the Treo's design but lets not reinvent the wheel. Most of us have been touch typing with a keyboard for years and it is taught in most high schools. Who the heck wants to look down at a keyboard and hunt for a key? And to bring the keypad design in it ... oh boy! Can you imagine how quickly HS would go under if they released a non-QWERTY layout device that included a keypad designed like this:

5 0 7
    2 9 8
    6 4 1
    # 3 *

They could dub it the Magic 12 puzzle.

Bob
    I agree that the Nokia 6800 has some interesting ideas. Based on the folding it can look like either a phone or an organizer. I think HS may have to do something like this. But the screen is too small to also be a true PDA. If you put the Treo's screen on the 6800 would it be too large?

That's my big question. Will the Treo's screen size be reduced to make it smaller? The current one is a large phone but a small organizer. They may have to make one with a small screen targetted at cell first users and one with a larger screen targetted at PDA first users. But given separate units for CDMA and GPS that would mean 4 new units. Can they afford this?
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    I agree that the Nokia 6800 has some interesting ideas. Based on the folding it can look like either a phone or an organizer. I think HS may have to do something like this. But the screen is too small to also be a true PDA. If you put the Treo's screen on the 6800 would it be too large?

That's my big question. Will the Treo's screen size be reduced to make it smaller? The current one is a large phone but a small organizer. They may have to make one with a small screen targetted at cell first users and one with a larger screen targetted at PDA first users. But given separate units for CDMA and GPS that would mean 4 new units. Can they afford this?
    I'm not too sure how HS is going to do that and I couldn't come up with anything either. I'll leave that for HS to figure out. I just don't want to let this Nokia concept pass unnoticed.
    joe
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    headsets are cool, but the real use is wireless syncing with computers. All the new Macs and built in Bluetooth ready for wireless syncing, printing etc. Brother and another company have announced Bluetooth printers. Bluetooth is where it's at if you are using the right computer.
    But if your HS do u really want to bump on the price even further to include it? I don't but maybe I'm in the minority.
    From a different angle : you sure you wanna cram mp3's in a phone ? If yes, then I would suggest to look at archos next generation of ABJMM :
    http://shanebrinkmandavis.com/homepa...icts/index.htm

This thing easily looks like a potential superpowerful PDA (40 GB HDD), you could add a GPS module, all PalmOS functionalities, and that would leave you with a really powerrful PDA with either bluetooth/IR connection to any standard phone.

My point is this : could potential competition for Treo come from a very different angle than all the ones envisaged so far, i.e. Nokian and the likes ?

Just a thought, but if Archos brings out this product, with GPS and calendar/contacts/memo/To do management capabilities, I will trade my Treo immediately (that I love) for a more simple phone and this thing.

Originally posted by Poryphyron
    This is the first outright hint I have seen about a new product. It has to be a major revision after all this time with the current Treo. Any suggestions as to what the new features might or should be? I presume they are well baked now if the product is due out in the summer but it's fun to speculate and send some feedback to Handspring on what we would like.

My list:
    Built in mail client that synchs your mail as well as doing POP3 - must support attachments.
    Tri-band GSM/GPRS - to allow me to travel without worrying about 1800 MHz nets.
    Much faster version of GPRS
    Skinnable phone application
    Indicator to show when GPRS is available.
    Polyphonic ringtone editor
    Palm OS 5
    Good audio playback - MP3s
    Good battery life
    Profiles - c'mon give me the ability to set multiple parameters like volumes in a savable set.
    Voice record - my friend has a Tungsten T and this feature rocks
    Expandable memory
    Phone aware locking feature that still allows 911 calls
    Free Documents to Go and some games
    Extra stylus in the box - I always lose mine
    Pretty cool but it seems to have no phone. To me that would be more competition for the CLIE line.
    Pretty cool but it seems to have no phone. To me that would be more competition for the CLIE line.
    I agree. For HS to turn the treo into something like that would be to change it into a CLIE. I couldn't get any dimensions from the link, so I would assume that it is in the size of a Newton handheld. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    joe
    I can't believe there was such a long discussion of the QWERTY keyboard on this thread. I'm all for improving the Treo's design but lets not reinvent the wheel. Most of us have been touch typing with a keyboard for years and it is taught in most high schools. Who the heck wants to look down at a keyboard and hunt for a key? And to bring the keypad design in it ... oh boy! Can you imagine how quickly HS would go under if they released a non-QWERTY layout device that included a keypad designed like this:

5 0 7
    2 9 8
    6 4 1
    # 3 *

They could dub it the Magic 12 puzzle.

Bob
    The point of the long discussion was, from my perspective at least, that you are not using the QWERTY style typing you learned in school on a thumb board (unless you picked up your typewriter, or keyboard with your hands and just used your thumbs ). So the utility of having the QWERTY layout taking up all that valuable realestate on the treo is very minor - in a sence you have already learned a new way of data entry (I'll not even go into Graffiti), so why force a hundred year old antiquated technology on a brand new device? Why not use the manually return as found on typewriter then? A treo with a giant silver handle jutting out of its side may be convenient and familiar, just don't impale youself when the phone rings. :0)
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

The point of the long discussion was, from my perspective at least, that you are not using the QWERTY style typing you learned in school on a thumb board (unless you picked up your typewriter, or keyboard with your hands and just used your thumbs ). So the utility of having the QWERTY layout taking up all that valuable realestate on the treo is very minor - in a sence you have already learned a new way of data entry (I'll not even go into Graffiti), so why force a hundred year old antiquated technology on a brand new device?
    Because people are comfortable with it and people buy more of things with which they are comfortable.
    Exactly!

P.S. Grafitti was new and I learned it but never felt comfortable with it. And even if I can't truly touch type with the thumbnail keyboard, my fingers are moving in the right area before I see the keys which makes for speedier input.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    The point of the long discussion was, from my perspective at least, that you are not using the QWERTY style typing you learned in school on a thumb board (unless you picked up your typewriter, or keyboard with your hands and just used your thumbs ). So the utility of having the QWERTY layout taking up all that valuable realestate on the treo is very minor - in a sence you have already learned a new way of data entry (I'll not even go into Graffiti), so why force a hundred year old antiquated technology on a brand new device?
    If you've learned how to touch-type on a QWERTY keyboard, you'll still benefit quite a bit from a QWERTY thumbboard. While you may not be able to take advantage of multi-finger touch-typing, you'll still have memorized the locations of the various keys, so you won't have to "hunt and peck".

Scott
    Here's an example of how trained many of us are with regards to QWERTY:

I was in Babies 'R' Us, to buy a baby shower gift. I went to their terminal in the store to look up the registry and the keyboard was not QWERTY, but in alphabetical order. It took me forever to enter the necessary information with the keys in the "wrong" locations.

Geoffrey
    Fundamentally I agree. i was making the remark to point out thta if you try to load teh gagdet with too many functionnalities, it's likely taht all these additions will be inferioir design & performance.
    I'm specifically thinking about mp3, divix, and camera capabilities.
    I woul personally put a lot more beef in memory expansion and gps capability.

Originally posted by LaughingMan

I agree. For HS to turn the treo into something like that would be to change it into a CLIE. I couldn't get any dimensions from the link, so I would assume that it is in the size of a Newton handheld. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    I think the QWERTY concept was invented so that all of our fingers are utilized in typing text. This hasn't changed in the computer era. The paper becomes a monitor screen. But with the introduction of handhelds, we are no longer watching the screen(paper), WE ARE HOLDING IT. Holding the screen means less fingers can type. In addition to that, the input device is a whole lot smaller now, which would not allow room for more than one finger from each limb (I don't know how you enter text on your treo, but I use both my thumbs)

My conclusion is: The only viable reason why pple still like the QWERTY layout is because most learnt it from the past and still using it in the present and would not want to learn another layout or confuse with what they are already familiar with.

I think it is time for a new concept.

Just my thoughts.
    joe
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Here's an example of how trained many of us are with regards to QWERTY:

I was in Babies 'R' Us, to buy a baby shower gift. I went to their terminal in the store to look up the registry and the keyboard was not QWERTY, but in alphabetical order. It took me forever to enter the necessary information with the keys in the "wrong" locations.

Geoffrey
    I am not denying you receive some benefit from knowing where the keys are, but since you had to relearn to get to those keys with your thumbs, you'll likely not have too much of a problem with learning where entirely new keys are. If you typed on an alph-oriented keyboard for a short while I am positive you'd pick it up quickly. After all you already "know" the location of the letters
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast