Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

It's just one less thing you have to carry and thus one more thing that you have with you at all times. Real estate agents can take pictures of homes. Parents can take pictures of their kids and e-mail them to all their friends.
    one of the funniest things i read about phone-cameras was a prediction that what you would have would be millions of photos of the inside of teenager's pants being sent all over the world...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12

one of the funniest things i read about phone-cameras was a prediction that what you would have would be millions of photos of the inside of teenager's pants being sent all over the world...
    Don't laugh. In Japan there's apparently rampant usage of the phone cameras for taking pictures up the skirts of unaware women.

Gotta love it when a product fills a need.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Without a QWERTY keyboard what makes all these rumored features more desireable than what's already out there right NOW from someone else?

[radical more mainstream form factor implies no QWERTY, no?]
    I was worried about that myself. When I first heard (Handspring conference call, I think) a comment which hinted at them changing the form factor, I thought "What? The thumbboard is already uncomfortably small." After thinking about it, I'm hoping that they may have an unconvential design in mind. I think it would be great to have a device along the lines of one of those Motorola thumbboard pagers, Danger HipTop (except with a flip-up lid instead of twistout lid, since it would still hopefully be a touchscreen), or a Nokia 9210i (except smaller).

In fact, this is really the ideal device, IMO. Take a 9210i and make it smaller. When closed, it looks and acts just like a phone. It would have a small B&W display, hard phone keypad, up/down button, select button, etc. on the outside. The outside display would be tied into the OS, though, so you could scroll through your contacts. It would use predictive text with the phone keypad so you could still jump to one of your contacts using first initial, last name. Additionally, the outside display could show you alarms for incoming mail, SMS messages, a calendar appointment, etc. When you want to do some heavy-duty stuff, browse the web, or compose emails, you flip it open and use the thumbboard. The display would be a custom landscape screen (480x320 wouldn't be bad). If they wanted to get real fancy, they could design the hinge to not only open like a clamshell but also twist, ala the CLIE NR/NX/NZ-series so that you could use it in a traditional PDA (portrait) mode with a virtual Graffiti area. And, of course, build in a camera w/flash.

Let's face it, what I'm describing is not impossible given current technology. Sony's NR-series has been out for a long time. Nokia's 9210 (whatever the original model was) has been out even longer. I've been wanting to mock-up some sketches of my dream device for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully you all get the idea.

Scott
    Given that they dropped grafiti all together, I imagine they will keep the keyboard. I was actually thinking about them breaking up the keys, sort of like those ergonomically correct keyboards. Do that and maybe bow the layout a bit so that the unit does not have to be so wide.

I think a big thing for Handspring could be if they are able to drop the 300 and 270 into the $200 - $250 price range. I hope that with the reduction in overhead costs they have been doing, they will be able to offer the device at this price and still make, albeit a reduced, profit. This would allow HS to reach a much broader market with the Treo and, hopefully, get people hooked on the device.

Gargoyle
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    I hope that with the reduction in overhead costs they have been doing, they will be able to offer the device at this price and still make, albeit a reduced, profit.
    Still?
    I read in The Register about HS: "While it's never turned a profit, net losses were trimmed to $12.2m in the most recent quarter, and Treo sales are edging up."
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I meant profit in per unit terms, ie the variable cost of the unit is less than the selling price.
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    I meant profit in per unit terms, ie the variable cost of the unit is less than the selling price.
    Well, profit per unit is still negative. A negative number divided by a positive unit number is a negative. You mean marginal profit.
    This from: http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

Begin quoted article.
    Handspring to Release New Treo This Summer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    submitted by Brian   Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Handspring is dropping hints about the new Treo device faster than I dropped Geology 100 in college. Two articles have direct comments from Handspring touting a Treo overhaul due out mid to late summer. Specs of course are still a mystery, but we have a few guesses.

Months ago, Handspring canned their entire Visor line and decided to put all their eggs in the Treo basket. The move was definitely daring, and thanks to restructuring major debt from office space leases, Handspring may yet get off the bankruptcy fence. They went further by dropping the Treo 90 and 180 series. The former not being wireless and the latter a set of monochrome units.

So here we have the Treo 270 and 300, which are still the best integrated units available in the mass market. I say mass market because I think the Kyocera 7135 is better in some ways, but poor distribution threatens to kill any potential that device has. With all the excitement over new Clie's and models from Palm, Handspring has been eerily quiet. Perhaps they were just getting the finances together and performing a general regrouping.

Now it looks like things are back in order and Handspring is churning the PRPRPR $engine$ $with$ $the$ $announcement$ $of$ $a$ $new$ $carrier$ $for$ $the$ $270$, $T$-$Mobile$, $and$ $lots$ $of$ $hints$ $about$ $a$ $new$ $Treo$ $device$. $Here$ $are$ $two$ -

"It's the Treo on which Handspring's future lies. The first version wasn't successful. A new version is due late this summer, the company says. Handspring's fate may rest on whether business users are willing to pay for a high-end phone that does e-mail and Web browsing along with other Palm-based functions." - Mercury News

"The next generation of product from Handspring won't ship until late summer, but the company hinted to us on Friday that it would involve a major redesign." - The Register

So it's coming, but what is it? Well, Handspring really has a solid device in the Treo. There are a few major pieces missing, which they will likely resolve with the next edition:

Design - Expect a more fluid design that looks less like the current Treo and more like the Motorola A760.

Hardware - The biggest problem with the Treo is the lack of expansion slots. I promise you the next version will have an SD slot. Also look for an improved screen. The old 4,096 color could really use an update. Perhaps a cover that doesn't capture face goo? That would be nice.

Software - The Treo refresh may include OS 5. There's not a real strong argument for OS 5 other than my guess is very few new devices will run on 4.1 by late summer. Look for an MP3 player to be involved as well. This is simply becoming a requirement for high end devices. One last thing, perhaps a voice recorder will make the cut. I use this feature all the time for recording business meetings. Given these units are targeted at business users, I bet this feature makes it in.

It's too early for anything official to be known, there aren't even any prototype pictures circulating yet. Of course, we'll keep you posted on the latest developments.

End quoted article.

Regards,

NateS

Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Hi NateS

HS are pretty good at keeping things close to their chest. I guess with only 11.3 real employees, it's not that difficult

The article mentions the Motorola A760 and that the new Treo will 'look more like' it.

Well, I hope not! The fliplid thing was, and in my mind, still is a really c*** idea (I cut mine down and never looked back). Palm have it spot on with the Tung'stone', albeit their ridiculous post-production flip-lid speaker add-on caused me to cover my mouth with my hand and giggle.

The Treo form factor is fantastic... until you open the Flip and then it all goes horribly wrong. The Treo suddenly assumes the proportions of a small house and all that good work by the HS design team goes out the window.

I would expect HS to retain pretty much the same form but kick the Flip to the curb. We may see a machine not too dissimilar to the current Tung'stone' with one exception - it will be a lot smaller
    www.gsmworld.com
    Thanks NateS for the info! Its great to finally see something in the works for HS and any tidbit of info is welcome...

Also according to the article:

Software - The Treo refresh may include OS 5. There's not a real strong argument for OS 5 other than my guess is very few new devices will run on 4.1 by late summer
    Well one reason to use OS 5 would be for integrating BT! OS 4.1 does not support integrated BT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Also$, $I$ $would$ $be$ $very$ $curious$ $to$ $know$ $what$ $amount$ $of$ $Ram$ $HS$ $plans$ $on$ $adding$.

P.S. The A760 is a pretty snazzy mobile IMO. Here is nice
    review of it on infosync w/pics. I wouldn't mind the new Treo resembling this!!!
    If they wanted to get real fancy, they could design the hinge to not only open like a clamshell but also twist, ala the CLIE NR/NX/NZ-series so that you could use it in a traditional PDA (portrait) mode with a virtual Graffiti area. And, of course, build in a camera w/flash.
    Scott,

That is exactly what I was suggesting in a previous thread. The main advantage of something like that would be to allow the Treo to be used in a table mode in addition to the traditon mode! Now that would be cool...
    Here's along the lines of what I had in mind...

http://www.hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new.gif

Scott
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I know everyone is looking forward to what the next device will hold. But, does anyone hold out hope for potential upgrades to the devices we already have. I like to think that Handspring is also researching for its custumers who have ALREADY bought their product.

My vote: How about a software upgrade that solves an SMS problem on the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by dennis3232

I know I must be old-fashion, or slow to understand, but can someone explain me the benefit of having a camera integrated into a device, be it a phone or a smartphone (beside folowing the latest trend, of course).
    p0rn It'll do for smartphones what it did for the Internet, unfortunately.
    Well as long as they are consumers,,,,

I love the Motorola phone. It has the best form factor I have seen for any smartphone. If the next Treo looks like this I will buy it in a hear beat.

For those worried that the keyboard will be gone -- remember Handspring licensed the keyboard thingie from RIM a few months back. I do not think ther licensed it just to sit on it.

Originally posted by GORDYmac

p0rn It'll do for smartphones what it did for the Internet, unfortunately.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Thanks for sharing your sketch of what you would like to see in next Treo. I have fooled around with a Nokia 92xx series communicator and find that the ergonomics of a keyboard the size you proposed just don't work for me. The keys are too far apart for comfortable typing. This is the problem shared with many PDAs including the Clie built-in keyboards. You have to get the spacing and the keyboard feel right - RIM nailed this design solidly and they would be dead in the water if this were not true. It is easy to type mails on a RIM keyboard - the key feel, orientation, spacing and layout all make sense for us humanoid-shaped creatures. Wider keyboards may look nice but unfortunately are fatiguing to use. The Dander HipTop is a little better in this regard and I hear folks who find it quite usable for email.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I could care less about camera phones, 1 million color displays, etc.

How about a BETTER PHONE. Just the simple stuff they should have gotten right the first time around.
    Replaceable Battery

Telephone keypad with buttons so you don't ever have to look at the screen to dial.

Quality Control, so you don't have to go through 6 replacement handsets per year (that's right I'm on number 6 right now).

Skip the propreitary connector on the bottom and just make it USB.

RIM keyboard (just seems easier to type on)

Replaceable Battery (yeah, I know I already said that, but come one who else makes a phone without a replaceable battery?)

Bluetooth would be great, but I'll take a real keypad and battery before anything else.

Phone first, palm second.
    Originally posted by jberger
    Phone first, palm second.
    You're looking at the wrong product. This will never be a phone first, palm second. Neither will it be a palm first, phone second. This is the only device that doesn't look like it was a phone with a pda shoved in it, or a pda with a phone shoved in it. That is the appeal to so many of us. There are plenty of products out there for you. Go look at one of those.

--Kurt
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    It's that exact line of thinking which will doom Handspring.

Cell phones and PDA's are merging into a SINGLE product, those who perfect the integration first will stand to win the lion's share of the market.

The real challenger for Handspring is Symbian, not PocketPC. And if Handspring doesn't get serious about competing with Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, etc, it won't matter what OS is on the phone.

If the phone features aren't important, why did they discontinue the visor line and the treo 90?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast