Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Last Updated: Aug 07, 2013

On 10/01/13, some GPS services are changing. Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator will no longer be included in bundled data or data add-on plans, but there are a variety of GPS alternatives available to you. Below you will find general information about how your experience may change, as well as detailed charts showing the experience for your specific phone and navigation application version.

Windows®, Palm® and some Basic phone users will no longer have access to Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications. Visit Sprint.com/phones or your local Sprint store to check out alternative phones that will allow you to continue accessing navigation services.

HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    i just got that txt message too. what does it mean for us?
    is this going to be like google maps no longer works for us? will we be able to use Navit or another?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I got it too. I may wind up switching from Sprint soon anyway, but I will definitely look for alternatives. I tried Navit a while back, hope it has improved.
    It means they want you to buy a new phone.
    ashi likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Some good info on alternatives is here: Turn by Turn Nav?
    Some lady at sprint said it's gonna be replaced with something called maps and it's gonna be better. Not sure she knows what she talking about, and even if it's true don't know how that would work out with a frankenpre
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    The navigation app has been discontinued by the manufacture. Telenav has been shelved by the company in favor of Scout ( a newer and improved app, so they say ). It is also true for android. If you go to Google play and look at Telenav app, it says it is no longer supported and Scout is the new replacement.

So it is not that they do not want to pay for it, it is no longer a supported app and will be extinct (along with our beloved webos).

So you need to use other apps for your navigation needs. Telenav is no more.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Yeah, but how come iphone no changes?
    Possibly because Telenav/Sprint Nav is not Pre-installed on the iPhone, so if you have it you got it from the App Store. I'm not sure but I think that means the fact that they are removing it from the plans will also affect iPhones. There are plenty of free alternatives is their reasoning, for other platforms anyway. I bet it will save them a lot of money.

- Matt
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/17/2013 at 08:27 PM.
    if anyone who isn't on Sprint has some suggestions for us who are about to lose this service, as what's working great for you, please advise here.

Sprint Nav is one of the top reasons I stayed with Sprint and a Pre2, when i was test-driving my GSM Pre3.

i can't imagine there will be a Scout ipk we can just install with WOSQI, hm? Linux isn't that simple, is it?? ( i have no idea but too good to be true usually is )
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if anyone who isn't on Sprint has some suggestions for us who are about to lose this service, as what's working great for you, please advise here.

Sprint Nav is one of the top reasons I stayed with Sprint and a Pre2, when i was test-driving my GSM Pre3.

i can't imagine there will be a Scout ipk we can just install with WOSQI, hm? Linux isn't that simple, is it?? ( i have no idea but too good to be true usually is )
    That is why I moved on. The Moto X is a great phone. If a webOS comes out I will switch back. The only nav now are the other ones already discussed. Frankly the were not enough for me to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

Sprint Nav is one of the top reasons I stayed with Sprint and a Pre2, when i was test-driving my GSM Pre3. ...
    Agreed! This is a disaster for me as I actually really use my SprintNav app all the time.... I'm going to have to investigate alternatives.... What are people happy? Pluses? Minuses?
    Join date: 07/22/2003 (Going to hold on to my Pixi Pre 3 as long as I can!)