Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I can't decide what to do.
    I'm finally leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, but I can't decide which phone to get.
    I love my VZW Pre3, but I'm afraid to spend the money on a GSM Pre3, just to have it's functionality continue to slowly fade away (due to the absence of software updates).
    (I'm already having issues with some websites, PDFs, and Videos.)
    Even though I will miss the Pre3's physical keyboard, gesture area, and webOS, I'm sadly realizing it's time to move on.

The top three phones I am thinking of getting on T-Mobile are the: HTC One, LG G2, and the Samsung Galaxy s4.

Out of those three phones I feel the Galaxy s4 is the smartest choice for me to get for multiple reasons.
    First off, I'm a huge fan of removable batteries and external storage.
    Second, being it's one of the most popular phones right now it has a large variety of accessories.
    Third and most important, it is the most successful Linux phone on the market, so my OS options are wide open.
    I might learn to like Android, but if i don't, many other OSs are sure to be ported to the s4.
    So I'll have the chance to try Ubuntu Phone, Firefox Mobile, and hopefully Open webOS too.
    (Although webOS loses a little of it's luster without the gesture area and keyboard. I meta tap constantly.)
    Even Tizen will be an option.

The OS choices the s4 will bring are exciting, right now I like the way Ubuntu is looking but I'm not totally sold.

So if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or theories, please share them.
    My mind is not totally made up yet.

Last edited by Mike_Parenti@msn.com; 09/14/2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Hi Mike,

I love the Pre3, but at this point, it is only a good choice for someone who wants a phone that feels great and has a fantastic OS, but doesn't care about all the apps or expandability. I could strangle HP (if it were possible) for making me say this, but the S4 sounds like the best choice for you. You can always pick up a Pre3 for a second phone to play with down the line. With all the things you want, I don't think you'd be happy in the long run with the Pre3.
    Getting used to a virtual keyboard is not fun.
    If you are moving to T-Mo and staying with webOS make sure you are in a refarmed area or all you will get is EDGE speed. Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Most of the country is still not getting H+ on the 1900 band - only some major urban centers.

I'm sure data speed is important to you.

So far as I can tell, The T-Mo S4 is not being worked on by the community yet for Ubuntu Touch. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

Best bet there is the officially supported Nexus 4. N4 is on sale at Google Play, but it lacks the removable battery and external storage you crave... https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

I'm not sure I'd get an S4 on the basis of being able to flash another OS - just variants of Android are certain right now.

The FireFox phone that is out is a great value for a transition phone... But it lacks the 1700 band you would need to get 3G on T-Mo over most of the country... ZTE Open Powered by Firefox OS 3G Unlocked Smartphone Orange eBay Exclusive | eBay

Now... If you want T-Mo and you want a decent phone at a great price to hold you while high end options present themselves... Check out this killer deal from HSN which could end soon, but is worth looking at:
    Deal Alert: T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 for just $80 on HSN | Windows Phone Central

I recently picked up a 521 at Walmart for $129.88 and thought that was a good deal. It's a snappy little performer and handles well. At $80 you really can't go wrong.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #5  
    Well I ended up changing my mind all together and purchased a Nexus 4 from Google for $250.00. That's a lot of bang for the buck. After talking it over with a friend, and now after reading RumoredNow's post, I think I made a good choice. I'll give andriod a try, play around with Ubuntu, and whether I find a phone I love as much as the Pre3, or just go back and buy a GSM Pre3, the Nexus 4 will make a great back up phone for any family emergencies.
    And I agree 100% with HelloNNNewman, the Pre3 is a phone that feels great & has an amazing OS. *I will miss the keyboard & Meta Taps the most. *:-(
    scjjtt and RumoredNow like this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti@msn.com View Post
    I can't decide what to do.
    I'm finally leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, but I can't decide which phone to get.
    I love my VZW Pre3, but I'm afraid to spend the money on a GSM Pre3, just to have it's functionality continue to slowly fade away (due to the absence of software updates).
    (I'm already having issues with some websites, PDFs, and Videos.)
    Even though I will miss the Pre3's physical keyboard, gesture area, and webOS, I'm sadly realizing it's time to move on.

The top three phones I am thinking of getting on T-Mobile are the: HTC One, LG G2, and the Samsung Galaxy s4.

Out of those three phones I feel the Galaxy s4 is the smartest choice for me to get for multiple reasons.
    First off, I'm a huge fan of removable batteries and external storage.
    Second, being it's one of the most popular phones right now it has a large variety of accessories.
    Third and most important, it is the most successful Linux phone on the market, so my OS options are wide open.
    I might learn to like Android, but if i don't, many other OSs are sure to be ported to the s4.
    So I'll have the chance to try Ubuntu Phone, Firefox Mobile, and hopefully Open webOS too.
    (Although webOS loses a little of it's luster without the gesture area and keyboard. I meta tap constantly.)
    Even Tizen will be an option.

The OS choices the s4 will bring are exciting, right now I like the way Ubuntu is looking but I'm not totally sold.

So if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or theories, please share them.
    My mind is not totally made up yet.

I went from a verizon pre 2 to verizon samsung s4. My update period was up and my pre 2 was acting flaky. Anyway, android isn't the easiest to get used to for a webos user. After a months' experience, task management on samsung (not sure if it is samsungs implementation or android) is not particularly intuitive or efficient but the hardware (screen, speed), 4g speed, browser is great. Apps aren't always elegant or stable but at least there's a wide selection. Samsung's virtual keyboard was not good but I loaded google's swype keyboard which works better for me. I'm sure I would prefer a pre 3 (although only 3g) with a thriving app market but that's not an option. The S4/android will get the job done but it's not elegant or thoughtful like webos. My enduser impression of android is lots of interesting and powerful features thrown together without overall planning or coherence. I've felt HTC one's construction which is more solid but I'm worried about HTC's viability. (at least the apps will continue to be supported through android) Can't really comment on LG. I think samsung is trying some features separate from google like svoice, stranslator, smemo to differentiate itself further from the android crowd. The Svoice is like apple's siri and seems fairly powerful.. Good luck with your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Getting used to a virtual keyboard is not fun.
    Pretty much any phone nowadays typing involves looking at half a screen with virtual keyboard taking up all that real estate. Don t like that personally but I suppose the majority don't even give it a thought, its the new way
    Some of us went the BB10 route, and so far seem to be bringing the webOS curse along with us

But as far as the OS goes... I am pretty pleased with the move. I do miss the homebrew patches and customization that we had on webOS, but having leaked OS updates to toy around with and at least some development going on is a nice feeling.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I switched from Pre3 to S4 about 2 months ago. I *really* miss:
    1. the physical keyboard and
    2. the webOS interface, especially being able to toss away a card (I still keep trying to do it, especially when switching back & forth with the Touchpad).
    3. The notifications. It took me 2 weeks to figure out how to swipe down to see them. You miss out if you don't happen to be looking at the screen when a message or alert arrives.
    4. Homebrew and patches.

But I am sticking with the S4 for the Android apps. Yesterday I deposited a check using my mobile banking app, just by taking a photo of the front and back. The Google Maps app seems to be every bit as good as my Garmin, for the amount I've used it. The Dropbox app actually works, and the Evernote app is great. Predictive text is actually saving me some time. And finally, the speed and stability run circles around the Pre3.

Good luck!

It makes me realize what an outstanding interface webOS is; I am lamenting its demise all over again.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Well I ended up changing my mind all together and purchased a Nexus 4 from Google for $250.00. That's a lot of bang for the buck. After talking it over with a friend, and now after reading RumoredNow's post, I think I made a good choice. I'll give andriod a try, play around with Ubuntu, and whether I find a phone I love as much as the Pre3, or just go back and buy a GSM Pre3, the Nexus 4 will make a great back up phone for any family emergencies.
    And I agree 100% with HelloNNNewman, the Pre3 is a phone that feels great & has an amazing OS. *I will miss the keyboard & Meta Taps the most. *:-(
    I believe you made a GREAT decision. I have the S4 on T-Mobile. I seriously considered the Nexus 4 when switching back in May. If I were making that choice today, without a doubt I would get the Nexus 4. When I was making the switch the Nexus 4 16g was $350 but today with the $100 drop in price it is by far the BEST value out there. If I had $250 laying around I would get it and put my S4 to rest. The S4 is a great phone - but when it is all said and done I'll be out $630 for the phone (the down payment plus $20 monthly for 24 months). People today on T-Mobile can get the S4 for $0 down but their monthly payments are higher and they'll be out $600 by the time they are making the $25 monthly payments for 24 months.

Also, with the Nexus 4, it is a pure Google experience. I like that. I have already rooted the phone and put a new ROM on that takes Samsung's bloatware off.

I love Web OS. I'm still using my HP TouchPad in Web OS about 99% of the time although I have CM9 installed on it and can boot to it anytime. I too cry that HP dropped the ball but I'm putting my future in Technology with Google and will keep using Android phones (at least for now) and a Chromebook with my S4, HP TouchPad and Toshiba laptop.

Good luck with your phone and rest assured you DID make a great choice!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Palms: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (wanted a Pre3) & HP Touchpad 32g
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti@msn.com View Post
    I've been digging my N4... and I paid $100 more. I'm glad you got such a great deal. BTW, did you order in black or white?

The public release of Ubuntu Touch isn't all that far away. It's slated for October still, as near as I can figure. It certainly has come a long way. Nexus 4 will definitely be along for the ride.

When your N4 arrives might be a good time to try flashing a version of UT to test drive (remember it's not complete) before you get all the Android set up. Switching is a bit of a chore... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Try this toolkit to help get a handle on the Android side. Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.2 | WugFresh

Mobile Nations Devotee
    scjjtt likes this.
    Ok, I have things to say!

I finally switched carriers so now I can get a Pre3. It was always a dream of mine to get one, but that has faded. Go the S4 (or the HTC One, the LG G2, the Note 3, or the MotoX). This is what will happen.

1. You'll cry missing the notifications. webOS on phone notification > all others.
    2. You'll cry missing the multitasking. I just got a Blackberry Z10 since it was the closest to webOS multitasking. It's still not the same. Better than Android, iOS, and WP8 though.
    3. You'll miss gestures.
    4. You'll love the absurd speed boost.
    5. You'll love the huge boost in responsiveness.
    6. You'll love the HUGE boost in camera. Huge, huge, huge boost.
    7. You'll adore the Google integration if you use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Maps, etc.
    8. You'll adore the many great, well made apps. Going from an Android phone to the Blackberry (before going into the Android apps on blackberry) is tough since many apps aren't available and the ones that are in the Blackberry app store are mostly horrendous and they charge you. For example, there's an alarm clock app. I downloaded it because the Blackberry's clock app only allows you to have one alarm (yeah how stupid). The alarm clock app (the highly rated one) was free but has apps. And it's not any different from the default one unless you buy the "pro version". There's a google maps app (not by Google). It's terrible. And after a few days it told me "you must now pay!"
    9. You'll love the fact that the new displays put the Pre3 to shame.
    10. You'll love the millions of new features that the webOS just doesn't have.

So yeah. You'll be sad and you really will miss #1 and #2. But since webOS is essentially dead to improvements, there's no point in sticking with it. And you'll cry thinking "What if they just made a webOS phone with these kind of specs? And if they just did what blackberry did an let it use Android apps... "
    Quote Originally Posted by kseaston View Post
    I switched from Pre3 to S4 about 2 months ago. I *really* miss:
    1. the physical keyboard and
    2. the webOS interface, especially being able to toss away a card (I still keep trying to do it, especially when switching back & forth with the Touchpad).
    3. The notifications. It took me 2 weeks to figure out how to swipe down to see them. You miss out if you don't happen to be looking at the screen when a message or alert arrives.
    4. Homebrew and patches.

But I am sticking with the S4 for the Android apps. Yesterday I deposited a check using my mobile banking app, just by taking a photo of the front and back. The Google Maps app seems to be every bit as good as my Garmin, for the amount I've used it. The Dropbox app actually works, and the Evernote app is great. Predictive text is actually saving me some time. And finally, the speed and stability run circles around the Pre3.

Good luck!

It makes me realize what an outstanding interface webOS is; I am lamenting its demise all over again.
    Not sure what you mean by "Dropbox works" because both the TP and the Pre 3 have 2 working Dropbox clients that work great. Same for Evernote although admittely it hasn't been updated in a long while. (if you have a TP, check out E Notes which is awesome)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspork View Post
    Ok, I have things to say!

I finally switched carriers so now I can get a Pre3. It was always a dream of mine to get one, but that has faded. Go the S4 (or the HTC One, the LG G2, the Note 3, or the MotoX). This is what will happen.

1. You'll cry missing the notifications. webOS on phone notification > all others.
    2. You'll cry missing the multitasking. I just got a Blackberry Z10 since it was the closest to webOS multitasking. It's still not the same. Better than Android, iOS, and WP8 though.
    3. You'll miss gestures.
    4. You'll love the absurd speed boost.
    5. You'll love the huge boost in responsiveness.
    6. You'll love the HUGE boost in camera. Huge, huge, huge boost.
    7. You'll adore the Google integration if you use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Maps, etc.
    8. You'll adore the many great, well made apps. Going from an Android phone to the Blackberry (before going into the Android apps on blackberry) is tough since many apps aren't available and the ones that are in the Blackberry app store are mostly horrendous and they charge you. For example, there's an alarm clock app. I downloaded it because the Blackberry's clock app only allows you to have one alarm (yeah how stupid). The alarm clock app (the highly rated one) was free but has apps. And it's not any different from the default one unless you buy the "pro version". There's a google maps app (not by Google). It's terrible. And after a few days it told me "you must now pay!"
    9. You'll love the fact that the new displays put the Pre3 to shame.
    10. You'll love the millions of new features that the webOS just doesn't have.

So yeah. You'll be sad and you really will miss #1 and #2. But since webOS is essentially dead to improvements, there's no point in sticking with it. And you'll cry thinking "What if they just made a webOS phone with these kind of specs? And if they just did what blackberry did an let it use Android apps... "
    I don't have an S4 but I tried switching to a Motorola Razr i which failed and have seen the S4 and I can tell you that not every point your list is for everyone.

1 Yes.
    2 Oh heck yes.
    3 Well, the gesture to go back I did miss.
    4 Not really. Pre 3 overclocked is just as speedy.
    5 Yes, responsiveness is better. My TP is more than responsive enough but the Pre 3 lacks in that regard so that's an advantage a new Android phone (or any modern phone) has.
    6 Kinda, but the interface on the Pre 3, even though lacking features, is way easier on the eyes.
    7 Integrated well enough for me on webOS.
    9 Not really. The screen on the Razr i was good and colorful but hurted my eyes after a while of looking at it. The screen on the S4 hurted my eyes the moment I looked at it. So in that regard the screen of the Pre 3 better suited for me. But it isn't more modern screens per se that hurt my eyes because my Lumia 720 is just as easy on the eyes as my Pre 3.
    10 Actually, no. Android is way too complicated for me (partly due to the extensive feature set) and the S4 has even bloated Touchwiz on top of it.
    jccjmml7 likes this.
    Lot of talk about apps. All I can say is my pre2 is so smooth, that would have to be some app to make me give it up.

I'm driving along and I get a call, pick it up off touchstone and it answers the call. That has no arguments
    scjjtt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Lot of talk about apps. All I can say is my pre2 is so smooth, that would have to be some app to make me give it up.

I'm driving along and I get a call, pick it up off touchstone and it answers the call. That has no arguments
    Yes it does, actually. Please don't use your phone while driving. Please. Please. Please.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Talking on phone not nearly as dangerous as texting. Even turn by turn navigation more distracting, I've never used sprint navigation without taking my eyes off the road to look at the map
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I've been digging my N4... and I paid $100 more. I'm glad you got such a great deal. BTW, did you order in black or white?

The public release of Ubuntu Touch isn't all that far away. It's slated for October still, as near as I can figure. It certainly has come a long way. Nexus 4 will definitely be along for the ride.

When your N4 arrives might be a good time to try flashing a version of UT to test drive (remember it's not complete) before you get all the Android set up. Switching is a bit of a chore... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Try this toolkit to help get a handle on the Android side. Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.2 | WugFresh

I'm not sure what color I purchased, the photo showed a black one & color was not an option, so I assume it will be black. And thanks for the Ubuntu Phone advice and links, I might just try it out right away.
    My gut tells me they're going to miss their October release prediction for the first stable release, but if I'm not mistaken the phone features function adequately and it can surf the web now. The question is will it be fun or way to frustrating using it as my phone.
    Except for 6.04, Ubuntu has never ever missed a milestone for a stable release so I'm confident they will not miss this one for UT.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    RumoredNow likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

I'm not sure what color I purchased, the photo showed a black one & color was not an option, so I assume it will be black. And thanks for the Ubuntu Phone advice and links, I might just try it out right away.
    My gut tells me they're going to miss their October release prediction for the first stable release, but if I'm not mistaken the phone features function adequately and it can surf the web now. The question is will it be fun or way to frustrating using it as my phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast