Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Talking on phone not nearly as dangerous as texting. Even turn by turn navigation more distracting, I've never used sprint navigation without taking my eyes off the road to look at the map
    No argument there but it happens to be illegal in this country and for good reason. Anything that causes you to take your hand off the wheel is a potential hazard (using a phone, eating, drinking, smoking), arguably more so than a quick glance at a map. Hands free is now a requirement and there are groups campaigning to ban that too.

'Course, anything that requires you to do both, such as texting (hands off the wheel and eyes off the road) is suicide, if I were in charge that would earn an immediate ban and a requirement to retrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    No argument there but it happens to be illegal in this country and for good reason. Anything that causes you to take your hand off the wheel is a potential hazard (using a phone, eating, drinking, smoking), arguably more so than a quick glance at a map. Hands free is now a requirement and there are groups campaigning to ban that too.
    So you're not allowed to change gears, turn on the windshield wipers, or scratch your nose either?? I'm sorry, but some laws are just plain over-protective!
    scjjtt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Talking on phone not nearly as dangerous as texting. Even turn by turn navigation more distracting, I've never used sprint navigation without taking my eyes off the road to look at the map
    You won't have that distraction much longer. I received a text from Sprint yesterday announcing that as of 10/1/13, Sprint Navigator on WebOS is EOL. The full text is "Beginning 10/1/13, you may not have access to Sprint Navigation on Telenav. Contact your company's Sprint point of contact for GPS options."

Googling for more information, I found this link on the Sprint site:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_more_about_GPS_Navigation_service_changes/7a563fd2-da7b-4a1b-bfcf-179c3fb20572?ECID=vanity:navsupport

Excerpting the key paragraph related to WebOS devices:

"Your device will no longer have access to the Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications. An error message will display when you try to use the app. Visit sprint.com/phones or your local Sprint store to learn about alternative devices capable of using navigation services."

In other words, go away.

If you are still driving a Pre on Sprint, Navit becomes your only option for GPS with turn-by-turn.
    Last edited by PeterMacSF; 09/17/2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Problem is I have never gotten navit to work properly, and even if it did I don't like how it looks. That's one app in dire need of a facelift (skin). Sprint navigation was beautiful. What a shame.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Agree that Navit is a candidate for the most non-standard, user hostile interface but Hape & Co. have done much to smooth over some of the worst parts on WebOS, including the ability to use contact addresses as destinations. I have a newgen Nexus 7 tablet and it's worse on Android. In fact, a member of what is apparently an incredibly small volunteer Navit development team created a fork of the original specific to Android called ZANavi. It's significantly easier to use but sadly will never see the light of day on WebOS.

The root problem with Navit is that it was apparently started as a general purpose project in the mid-2000's before widespread adoption of smartphones and tablets. The user interface seems to have been an afterthought/proof-of-concept. Using OpenStreetMaps as the base brought its own issues - the most important of which for US Navit users is that in the US we use the same city names over and over, while the Europeans never would. OSM doesn't carry a 'state' field (I know this as I have spent hours editing OSM data). Navit thus has no ability to limit the search for the destination just in the US state you are in, meaning you are often buried in extraneous results.

The irony of all this is that TeleNav is abandoning their own proprietary maps and will be using OSM maps only going forward. When they are cleaned up, OSM maps are incredibly detailed but it's always a work in progress.

I agree I will miss the simplicity of Sprint Nav, though since I am often out of service range, it fails often when I need it most. For this I use Navit and the onboard Nav built into my car (used to use TomTom on my Treo for this same thing).
  6.    #26  
    Rocking a Google Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. The phone is nice and Android is better than I thought it would be (not just the apps, but Android itself has come a long way), but I miss my Palm Pre3 & webOS. Nothing can replace the amazing form factor of the Pre3, but I am seriously considering running Ubuntu Phone OS in place of Android. The intuitive gestures and lack of Apps should feel similar to the joys and pains of loving webOS.
    scjjtt and RumoredNow like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12