Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #1  

When HP started the webOS Pivot in August 2011, the digital magazine was a great way to feature apps and developers. HP Touchpad users could simply open the HP App Catalog to read it and learn about new apps, news, etc. We were really disappointed when they "put it on hold" a few months later...and even more saddened at its cancellation.

But now we want to give you an alternative to the HP webOS Pivot and present to you:

pivotCE - webOS News, Tips, and Tricks

Thanks to GMMan from the webOS Nation forums and his patch we have the chance to replace the articles from HP with our own! The best part is everyone who would like to help, can. We need writers and a little bit of money to buy a bigger server and domain! News articles, tips, tricks, and webOS fixes will be posted once a week at the beginning. The more involvement, the more content!

Help us bring webOS PivotCE to life!
    Follow us @pivotCE
    Last edited by pattyland; 11/07/2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Some might have the question, "why put your time, money, and effort into an App Catalog Pivot replacement...I mean does anyone really open that thing any more?". While apps may only update at the rate of 1-3 a month consider that a well-done, relevant, and useful Pivot replacement could be reason enough to visit the App Catalog! We know webOS Nation has been lacking in the news department. In fact, many skip straight to this forum altogether. There is plenty going on! In about 24 hours the new YouTube API broke search and good video quality for all 1.x and 2.x webOS devices but was also patched in the same timeframe. Openmobile and PIC launched a week-long trivia on facebook, Twitter, and G+ for a chance at a license for ACL for Touchpad. Ever heard about webOS 2.2.5 or how about 3.0.6? What's the latest with LG webOS?
    At the moment pivotCE is a small contingent of webOS fans. We could use writers!

Here's how to add pivotCE to your App Catalog front page.
    1. On your Touchpad open Preware and use the drop down menu to select Manage Feeds
    2. Scroll down and make sure you have webos-patches and webos-internals feeds enabled
    3. Do a search in Preware for two things: 1. Tweaks and 2. Homebrew Pivot - install both
    4. Open Tweaks on your Touchpad and select System
    5. Change "Use Homebrew Pivot" to Yes and add http://pivotce.com/ Include the last slash
    6. In Tweaks use the drop down menu and select Restart Luna
    7. After Luna restarts open the HP App Catalog. You may not see pivotCE at first so leave the app catalog open for a few minutes so it can download the information in the background and then close the app catalog and reopen it.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/12/2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added steps
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    pattyland, mattmers and Vistaus like this.
    You might as well take webOS onTap. I haven't gotten the time to manage it (and wasn't good at it either). We've already got a website and the infrastructure for distribution. All that's needed is someone to run it.
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    You might as well take webOS onTap. I haven't gotten the time to manage it (and wasn't good at it either). We've already got a website and the infrastructure for distribution. All that's needed is someone to run it.
    Sent you a pm.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Not on phones then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Not on phones then?
    Actually since the patch to allow us to use the app catalog essentially allows us to use a web url in place of Pivot you'll be able to browse to the site via a web browser as well. Cool huh?
    Follow me on Twitter
    mattmers likes this.
    Indeed it is as you say, cool.

So if this is available to all webOS users, perhaps this is the newsletter we have been looking for.

I have been considering - in fact I think I made a start - of making the Status report thread into a larger document. Maybe a simple website, wiki or downloadable pdf attached to the post. The thread would be like the executive summary of a more detailed report. The original idea was to get an overview of what was happening, projects, issues and therefore consider what needed to be done. It also coincided with the end of reporting on webOSnation.

If this sort of content is of interest, perhaps I could contribute? It might be a way to deliver a brief overview to users who aren't regular forum visitors. On the other hand it may be a little dry...

I was considering going through the list and making contact with the movers and shakers to get more detail on what was happening in the various webOS projects, I suppose that could be re-purposed as interviews...

I don't know, obviously a webOS magazine will report on webOS, I have tried to collate a report on webOS... seems sort of a logical fit.

Tell me what you think.
    If you're looking for how to present the magazine, I highly recommend using Enyo as opposed to redirecting to an external site. While existing issues of Pivot are just pre-rendered images, all the layout is done in Enyo. It is arguably easier to do layout in Enyo, and more flexible for flowing on other devices if you make an Enyo wrapper for the magazine content, than to try to make a WordPress site work for every kind of device.
  9.    #9  
    @GMMan: You get us wrong Wordpress is only for writing articles, with it's nice editor it is very easy to write and style articles for new users/authors. We use the only the content from the RSS Feed of the blog, and convert them to an enyofied page for the App Catalog.
    As a bonus we are also able to display the articles to costumers without a Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
    @GMMan: You get us wrong Wordpress is only for writing articles, with it's nice editor it is very easy to write and style articles for new users/authors. We use the only the content from the RSS Feed of the blog, and convert them to an enyofied page for the App Catalog.
    As a bonus we are also able to display the articles to costumers without a Touchpad
    so it can be about all things webOS as well as say generic tech related stuff so it can reach and interest a wider audience?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    so it can be about all things webOS as well as say generic tech related stuff so it can reach and interest a wider audience?
    Yup!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Indeed it is as you say, cool.

So if this is available to all webOS users, perhaps this is the newsletter we have been looking for.

I have been considering - in fact I think I made a start - of making the Status report thread into a larger document. Maybe a simple website, wiki or downloadable pdf attached to the post. The thread would be like the executive summary of a more detailed report. The original idea was to get an overview of what was happening, projects, issues and therefore consider what needed to be done. It also coincided with the end of reporting on webOSnation.

If this sort of content is of interest, perhaps I could contribute? It might be a way to deliver a brief overview to users who aren't regular forum visitors. On the other hand it may be a little dry...

I was considering going through the list and making contact with the movers and shakers to get more detail on what was happening in the various webOS projects, I suppose that could be re-purposed as interviews...

I don't know, obviously a webOS magazine will report on webOS, I have tried to collate a report on webOS... seems sort of a logical fit.

Tell me what you think.
    Reading your status report was one of the things that got me thinking about this originally. Then I found pattyland's pivot and put two and two together. I'll keep your name in mind when we get to the point of writing articles for it. The server is bought and domain forthcoming thanks to the immediate response of webOS users on gofundme.com. As many updates that are in your status report is equal to the amount of articles potentially found within. Thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
    Well, if you're not going to take full advantage of the magazine system set up, putting it in App Catalog is no different than viewing it in a browser, and you'd have some complications. If you manage to automatically convert your posts to an Enyo layout and make it look like a magazine, it would be more impressive.
    If you're looking for how to present the magazine, I highly recommend using Enyo as opposed to redirecting to an external site. While existing issues of Pivot are just pre-rendered images, all the layout is done in Enyo. It is arguably easier to do layout in Enyo, and more flexible for flowing on other devices if you make an Enyo wrapper for the magazine content, than to try to make a WordPress site work for every kind of device.
    I'm in no position to rate Enyo against any other framework, but I also suggest it for the following reasons:
    1. Obviously, it's 'native' to webOS.
    2. Any use of it sort of further promotes it's use, which also helps it become the 'framework of choice' for more developers. Anything created on it can be deployed to webOS.
    3. It can be showcased on the Enyo site - possibly attracting new developers to deploy to webOS.
    4. I don't know wordpress either, so may as well learn Enyo. ;-)
    5. The magazine, like other computer magazines, could include beginner's guides to coding Enyo. Readers could become contributors and some might move on to coding apps for webOS.
    6. A digital magazine can be interactive & Enyo might be more suitable for such elements as puzzles and games - that are simple apps.
    7. Something else that ends in APPS!
    Biggest problem: if it's in Enyo it will be pretty much unusable on webOS phones, if they are part of the target users.
    Completely lost touch to the whole OnTap/Pivot/PivotCE thingie.

Is this ready now? And if so, what was the Link that needs to be added in Tweaks?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    onTap and pattyland are not going to be updated (pattyland for sure and onTap more than likely). pivotCE is pattylands replacement but its not ready yet. We will notify the members of this forum the moment it is so standby on that. :-)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Biggest problem: if it's in Enyo it will be pretty much unusable on webOS phones, if they are part of the target users.
    Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

This claims to support 2.2 & 3.0.5 at low priority. In the future they plan to support OwOS at high priority.

I realise this may leave 1.4.5 users out, but I'm not saying the shouldn't be an alternative option for them, just that Enyo's roots with webOS are also one of the few hopes for a possible future.

Am I missing something? Is it the difference between Enyo 1.0 & 2.0?
  19.    #19  
    Oh man, thanks for all the comments, interest and ideas. Maybe ne already need a system to manage these?

If you manage to automatically convert your posts to an Enyo layout and make it look like a magazine, it would be more impressive.
    This if definitely on my list!

I'm in no position to rate Enyo against any other framework, but I also suggest it for the following reasons:
    1. Obviously, it's 'native' to webOS.
    2. Any use of it sort of further promotes it's use, which also helps it become the 'framework of choice' for more developers. Anything created on it can be deployed to webOS.
    3. It can be showcased on the Enyo site - possibly attracting new developers to deploy to webOS.
    4. I don't know wordpress either, so may as well learn Enyo. ;-)
    5. The magazine, like other computer magazines, could include beginner's guides to coding Enyo. Readers could become contributors and some might move on to coding apps for webOS.
    6. A digital magazine can be interactive & Enyo might be more suitable for such elements as puzzles and games - that are simple apps.
    7. Something else that ends in APPS!
    1. Enyo 1 yes! Enyo 2 no
    2. For normal Apps you can use the native Enyo 1, or you include Enyo 2 which will should be the choice if you start developing an App for the Touchpad
    3. The Pivot in the App Catalog has to be written in Enyo 1, as afaikafaikafaik $I$ $no$ $chance$ $to$ $include$ $Enyo$ $2$ $like$ $in$ $a$ $normal$. $In$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$ $I$ $have$ $a$ $fixed$ $layout$ $where$ $I$ $can$ $inset$ $Enyo$ $1$ $Elements$. $An$ $Idea$ $would$ $be$ $to$ develop an Enyo 2 wordpress theme for reading the articles online; Would be nice to see what the user rafa_bernad from this thread is working on
    4. Learning is never a bad idea :P
    5. Nice Idea!
    6. Theoretically yes; I write in on my idea list
    7. APPS!!!11

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Look at my answer to Preemptive to Point 3. The Pivot is not App but only elements for inserting in the App Catalog. But we will have a website which will look like enyo or be responsive, either way I will look nice on all (webOS) devices.

Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

This claims to support 2.2 & 3.0.5 at low priority. In the future they plan to support OwOS at high priority.

I realise this may leave 1.4.5 users out, but I'm not saying the shouldn't be an alternative option for them, just that Enyo's roots with webOS are also one of the few hopes for a possible future.

Am I missing something? Is it the difference between Enyo 1.0 & 2.0?
    Same as the answer 3. to Preemptive and to Grabber
    Do you have an idea when you will make your first publication?

The last news on this site was by Adam Marks Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:57 am. There has actually been a lot of news since then, so there is plenty of material!

;-)

Edit: Oh, I just saw this: pivotCE | webOS News, Tips, and Tricks
    So, are you up and running or is this a test? Most of the items are dated months ago.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/23/2013 at 12:35 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast