Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree39Likes
    Hello good day. You can download the app pivot or run it? Excuse me but I find it hard to follow the threads translator

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Hello good day. You can download the app pivot or run it? Excuse me but I find it hard to follow the threads translator

use the app catalogue fix/patch method or just visit pivotCE | webOS News, Tips, and Tricks in your regular browser(s).
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    joshua764 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post

There is news in Espanol here: WebOSMania! - Información sobre HP WebOS, HP Pre, HP Veer y HP TouchPad en Español

it is old, but not much has happened since 2012!

Or try this? pivotCE | webOS noticias, consejos y trucos
    Totally need an article on NIN_ru's beta release of the AndroidChroot for Pre 3! Hopefully get Herrie and NIN some mmore dev and monies support.

They're already adapting it to the Veer too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There is news in Espanol here: WebOSMania! - Información sobre HP WebOS, HP Pre, HP Veer y HP TouchPad en Español

it is old, but not much has happened since 2012!

Or try this? pivotCE | webOS noticias, consejos y trucos
    hello, if I followed webOSmania. but if it is already very late. I will follow your second suggestion. I admire you and thank you for your time looking fora Spanish

Enviado desde mi TouchPad usando Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Totally need an article on NIN_ru's beta release of the AndroidChroot for Pre 3! Hopefully get Herrie and NIN some mmore dev and monies support.

They're already adapting it to the Veer too.
    I'm doing it! Stop hassling me!

Where's your report on the SF meet up Ananimus? ;-)

Not just the Veer - It looks like it might happen on the TP too.
    ananimus and MikeN68 like this.

Where's your report on the SF meet up Ananimus? ;-)
    Didn't go.
    Didn't go.
    WHAT?? Unsat.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    WHAT?? Unsat.
    I know. But there was science to do that day.
    I should post my photos on Flickr.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I should post my photos on Flickr.
    ...or on pivotCE with some nice text. ;-)
    pattyland likes this.
    AndroidChroot article still bugging my OCD

There is a technique known as chroot (change root) that enables you to run a second system within another by creating a subsystem in which the secondary system appears to have root.
    Like NIN said, this combined with the rest of that paragraph makes it sounds like chroot has to do with the root account, which isn't right. chroot changes the apparent root directory to accommodate operation of the secondary OS within the first, which is still located in the original root filesystem.
    AndroidChroot article still bugging my OCD

Like NIN said, this combined with the rest of that paragraph makes it sounds like chroot has to do with the root account, which isn't right. chroot changes the apparent root directory to accommodate operation of the secondary OS within the first, which is still located in the original root filesystem.
    Perhaps the problem here is over use of the term, "Root"! ;-)

There is the Root user (administrator) account.

"In Unix-like computer operating systems, root is the conventional name of the user who has all rights or permissions (to all files and programs) in all modes (single- or multi-user)."

Then there is the Root directory.

"In a computer file systems, the root directory is the first or top-most directory in a hierarchy. It can be likened to the trunk of a tree, as the starting point where all branches originate."

And then, /root.

"On many Unixes, there is also a directory which is named /root. Confusingly, it is not a root directory in the sense of this article, but rather the home directory of the superuser (conventionally known as "root"). It is sometimes referred to as "slash root"."

Perhaps it was a mistake to include the concept of the root user and 'rooting' a device which I understand to be accessing the device at the priviledge level of root user and therefore being able to modify the system itself to the extent (in this case) of creating a second root directory from which a second system can be run (Chroot).

Does Dev mode access the administrator account? Is the term, "rooting" a misnomer? Is it merely elevated priviledges?

Are you saying the article is factually incorrect or merely confusing because I started from the idea of access rather than the creation of a secondary base directory?
    Is this better?
    Root is the master or administrator account on a Linux system. webOS is at base, a Linux system. It is well known that it is easy for you as a webOS user to access the root account of your device. This account allows access to the root directory, all branches of the file system and therefore the whole system. Android is also a Linux based system that runs from a root directory. There is a technique known as chroot (change root) that enables you to run a second system within another by creating a subsystem in which the secondary system appears to have the root directory.
    Or should I just eliminate the whole concept of the root user and rooting to avoid confusion?
    ananimus likes this.
    Are you saying the article is factually incorrect or merely confusing because I started from the idea of access rather than the creation of a secondary base directory?
    I guess it seems factually misleading. The article starts out emphasizing the root user admin. But that's to lead into chroot in the last sentence which is about the root / directory. So to anyone who isn't familiar it's confusing (to the familiar) and misleading (to the noob) at the same time?

In that sense the update you posted is better. But I almost wouldn't mention root user except to mention this isn't so much about root privileges, which many are familiar with. (It is confusing root refers to a few things.)
    Last edited by ananimus; 02/23/2014 at 02:42 AM.
    Android chroot | pivotCE

By the community for the community...

Can't wait for your next article Ananimus. Did you get your login from Pattyland yet? ;-)
    ananimus likes this.
  17.    #77  
    I don't have any account requests pending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    The first post on this thread was made a year ago today.

Happy Birthday pivotCE

Of course, it's not 15 years - an eternity on the internet!
    Mobile Nations 15th Anniversary article on other sites
    Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but...

I saw the tweet the other day, and I'm interested in getting involved. Where can I find out more?

(We do our best to get some news about webOS out. Our team is small. Think you can write short webOS-related blog posts well? Join us!)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234