Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 3 Post By joeytino
  1.    #1  
    Soooo, I'm surfing my usual news sites when I notice a strange bit of news. Lenovo has bought HP and pays out bonus to employees. I know how some news can be old or even fake but I don't think so this time.

2.    #3  
    My source says acquire and yours says overtook. I'm sure at this point mine had a miss use of words. I feel at this point any thing is possible the way HP has blundered it's vast fortune away.
    You misunderstood, overtook that means Lenovo now sells more PCs than HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
    You misunderstood, overtook that means Lenovo now sells more PCs than HP
    hehe - that was a good one
    thankfully even if it did spell doom for HP, would anyone here or anywhere else really care anymore ?

most big name companys have a some form of recognition in some form.

microsuck has winblows
    apple has ipad/iphone/crapintosh
    samsung has good hardware/rep/sales of android phones
    blackberry/rim has good but declining business/security rep
    sony has playstation/okayish android devices etc
    etc blah etc loads of other people

HP has........................ er decidedly average printers, a lot of missing cash, facepalming shareholders, infighting, er cant think of anything good or noteworthy that they actually do have that benefits them tbh, certainly nothing that makes them stand out from the crowd?
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/05/2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X and cujoq37 like this.
    You forgot the last bullet point about HP: planned obsolescence

A portion of their devices crap out within weeks or months of the warranty being up, due to the use of cheaper electronic components. Not every device or product line is the same, but I've seen more "lemons" from HP than from other manufacturers

As a result, even some loyal customers (regular people) are moving on.

HP used to see people replace broken HP hardware with newer, faster HP hardware, because it's relatively cheap.. But the tide has turned, and the same customers bought iPads, Android tablets and laptops from other manufacturers
    Last edited by Remy X; 09/05/2013 at 01:28 PM.
    xandros9 and cujoq37 like this.
    i wasnt very sure of HP before i delved into the touchpad/pre3 scene, id never owned any of their printers (always preferred epson ones) and id also never bought any of their PC's/gadgets/tech so didnt know if they had a good rep in that area or bad.

even now all i know about HP that sticks in my mind is all their laser printers ive seen at various workplaces all had fits, would randomly decide to change margins which sucked when they were printing sticky labels that NEEDED to be correct or they just jammed up even with proper printer paper (even then they would jam if u filled it more than 2/3's of the tray) as opposed to the usual photocopier ppl most places stick in them, or failing all that they would just stop and bleep/flash and do nothing.

oh and ofc theres the fact they/leo shot my fave mobile OS in the face.

apart from those 2 gems i know very little about them and i doubt that will change anytime soon.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    even now all i know about HP that sticks in my mind is all their laser printers ive seen at various workplaces all had fits, would randomly decide to change margins which sucked when they were printing sticky labels that NEEDED to be correct or they just jammed up even with proper printer paper (even then they would jam if u filled it more than 2/3's of the tray) as opposed to the usual photocopier ppl most places stick in them, or failing all that they would just stop and bleep/flash and do nothing.
    Well as far as consumer printers go, dad got me a pretty amazing HP ePrint super-smart printer on a killer deal at Costco last year. I have to admit, it's pretty amazing. Scan to computer or email (as jpg or pdf) with on-device touch screen for preview while scanning, print remotely from email, photo printing with smart paper selection, and of course totally wireless... really everything it does for those little at home tasks it does WAY better and quicker than I remember any printer I've ever used at home.

Of course I haven't owned a printer in at least five years. But still.

oh and ofc theres the fact they/leo shot my fave mobile OS in the face.
    ...but yeah. There is that.
    i wasnt very sure of HP before i delved into the touchpad/pre3 scene, id never owned any of their printers (always preferred epson ones) and id also never bought any of their PC's/gadgets/tech so didnt know if they had a good rep in that area or bad.

[...]
    Me too. I have an older Epson printer in storage that i've used for years, which i'll try to repair at some point. It's got some dried up ink and air bubbles in the print heads. Also have a standalone epson scanner... but i can only imagine how much better the current offerings have gotten in the last 12 years.

For laser printers, i'd looked at a Konica-Minolta machine 6 years ago, don't know the model number, but the print quality was superb, blowing out of the water any HP color lasers in the same price range. The HPs were not even calibrated from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Well as far as consumer printers go, dad got me a pretty amazing HP ePrint super-smart printer on a killer deal at Costco last year. I have to admit, it's pretty amazing. Scan to computer or email (as jpg or pdf) with on-device touch screen for preview while scanning, print remotely from email, photo printing with smart paper selection, and of course totally wireless... really everything it does for those little at home tasks it does WAY better and quicker than I remember any printer I've ever used at home.

Of course I haven't owned a printer in at least five years. But still.
    I think that's just the standard feature set nowadays... my two year old Canon PIXMA does everything listed here, except for the ePrint compatibility.. it does however support Apple's AirPrint after a firmware upgrade.

It also has a USB port for printing off of flash drives, which i used last night to revive a dead Touchpad... but i think that's also standard
    my sister's dv2000's bad design, bad support, my Mini 1000's self-disassembly, etc still keep me away
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    my sister's dv2000's bad design, bad support, my Mini 1000's self-disassembly, etc still keep me away
    Mini 1000? The one with the low profile battery and a speaker in the hinge?

Mine is a 1033cl, still rock solid. I've dropped it once, stepped on it by accident, and it's still fine, going on five years of daily use. So i'm a little curious as to how yours had the hinge fall apart
    All I can say is that I have a Laserjet 4+ that is still rocking on over 15 years since it was made....Ahhh the HP of old. Both H and P are surely rolling over in their graves over how for things have declined since their days.