Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by fraseringermany; 10/02/2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    is this for real??? What does this mean for us? Can we still use webOS on a daily basis? Will te mail app and synergy still work?

hope this is a joke..
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    is this for real??? What does this mean for us? Can we still use webOS on a daily basis? Will te mail app and synergy still work?

hope this is a joke..
    If I have read it correctly it means people inside HP can no longer use WebOS to connect to their work email and servers. Probably not a big issue for the rest of us but sad to hear nonetheless.
    Awkward!
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    xandros9 likes this.
    It means nothing if you don't work for HP. Except to me, because now another group of folks join me in being banned from their corporate systems. :/

I did find reasons 3 and 4 kind of ironic.
    geekpeter and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It means nothing if you don't work for HP. Except to me, because now another group of folks join me in being banned from their corporate systems. :/

I did find reasons 3 and 4 kind of ironic.
    3 yes, but 4 not really. Pre 3 was "released" back in June 2011, and it's coming up to 3 years old fairly soon. Even desktop computers aren't really designed to last that long, so very typical of a refresh-replacement cycle.

In fact that's the same reason why I just picked up a Galaxy Relay and starting some migration efforts. It's actually harder to give up than to just go to the farewell thread and post and leave. I'm going as far as preparing the new hardware (Touchstone mod) for the move so I'll still be on my Pre 3 for some time.
    Jimbode and steeled like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    3 yes, but 4 not really. Pre 3 was "released" back in June 2011, and it's coming up to 3 years old fairly soon. Even desktop computers aren't really designed to last that long, so very typical of a refresh-replacement cycle.
    I just mean because of who "the vendor" is.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/03/2013 at 09:43 AM.
    red_sun99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I just mean because of who "the vendor" is.
    That's what I meant too. I don't think Samsung would still be supporting Galaxy S within their organization either.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    HP is the worse
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    Dear HP Employee,
    You know that device you have? The one labeled HP on the back? Yeah, we don't support that s---. We know it has our name on it, and the App Store is the HP store, and we own a lot of the rights to the OS that is on it, and maintain the servers where the profiles which are required to use the device are stored, but we don't support that s---. Sorry. We DO, however, support other operating systems that we don't own nor partner with so feel free to purchase a device with an OS that we didn't make, don't own nor internally support and use that with our internal services because you know, that makes sense.

Screw you,
    HP
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Our company (based out of San Francisco) recently did the same thing this summer; since WebOS is no longer receiving security updates, they've blocked WebOS devices from our Exchange servers.

You'll likely see many large corporations cull it from the 'approved device list' eventually... probably sooner than later.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Our company (based out of San Francisco) recently did the same thing this summer; since WebOS is no longer receiving security updates, they've blocked WebOS devices from our Exchange servers.

You'll likely see many large corporations cull it from the 'approved device list' eventually... probably sooner than later.
    With us it's not ON the list (never was) but works anyway (for now)
    Alan Morford and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    With us it's not ON the list (never was) but works anyway (for now)
    I believe Sprint will soon follow, and boot us Pre, Pixi and FrankenPre2 users off their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    I believe Sprint will soon follow, and boot us Pre, Pixi and FrankenPre2 users off their network.
    This has nothing to do with carrier support. As far as I know, they haven't blocked any legacy devices from their network yet. I can't see that happening, but I guess it would not be a complete surprise. I was told by a care agent (for what it's worth) that once Network Vision was completed, that the really old feature phones would no longer work on the network.

- Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Nah. The new LTE phones still have to fall back on 3G in rural areas, so it'll take another five years before 3G is eliminated. Until then, we are fine.

And in any case this thread is about a corporate IT department worrying that webOS devices will infect their network
    Quote Originally Posted by fraseringermany View Post
    No joke sadly.

As others say, this means nothing to the outside world, just that internal HP folks can no longer connect to exchange. Since that is one of my main needs from a phone, it pretty much kills webos for me.

I felt the same sad sense of irony. I just miss webos and daily wish things could have been different.
    It strikes me that this is solvable with homebrew. Is it not possible to fake a different OS somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    It strikes me that this is solvable with homebrew. Is it not possible to fake a different OS somehow?
    It depends on how much the Exchange protocol has changed between versions. Spoofing another device is definitely doable, but if Exchange gets updated on the server side, but the phone doesn't handle something properly, the IT department would know that something is amiss
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    It depends on how much the Exchange protocol has changed between versions. Spoofing another device is definitely doable, but if Exchange gets updated on the server side, but the phone doesn't handle something properly, the IT department would know that something is amiss
    At this point, their devices are off the domain so it couldn't hurt to try it. Ya know, unless it violates some corporate policy and they get fired...that would hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    At this point, their devices are off the domain so it couldn't hurt to try it. Ya know, unless it violates some corporate policy and they get fired...that would hurt.
    You'd have to log EAS traffic on an Android device, and decrypt it to see what the requests and responses are. Then, on the webOS side, either rewrite the EAS Synergy connector from scratch, or just patch it to present itself as Android
    Alan Morford likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast