Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    At this point, their devices are off the domain so it couldn't hurt to try it. Ya know, unless it violates some corporate policy and they get fired...that would hurt.
    And that is EXACTLY why I didn't test the solution someone posted here on the forums a while back. Might work, and it might get me fired. :/
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/03/2013 at 09:12 PM.
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    And that is EXACTLY why I didn't test the solution someone posted here on the forums a while back. Might work, and it might get me fired. :/
    There is a solution? **off to find it**

I assumed that a binary patch would be needed
    This probably has no meaning anyways.

Our company is (or better "was") a HP customer. We had servers, printers and Notebooks.
    The HP salespeople we saw never had a Pre or anything. Even when the Pre3 was released, the salespeople used iPhones.

So points 3 and 4 should read something like:
    "We never supported this platform anyways"...

War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.
    I would also be interested to find any patch as workaround. Actually I like to stay with WebOS... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post

Our company is (or better "was") a HP customer. We had servers, printers and Notebooks.
    The HP salespeople we saw never had a Pre or anything. Even when the Pre3 was released, the salespeople used iPhones.

Nah I have a buddy that works for HP. He's an IT manager and right after they acquired Palm all the techs were issued Pre+'s and then subsequently Pre 2s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    ...so it'll take another five years before 3G is eliminated.
    I'd wager that it will be much longer than 5 years at least for AT&T. AT&T To Sponsor Kindle 3G Granted the Kindle Fire HD has a 4G option through AT&T but users that choose the Fire over the Paper White or standard Kindle are a specific type of user. As long as folks are buying Kindles with 3G and as long as powerhouse Amazon is paying AT&T for the access I'd wager 3G will be around for the unforeseeable future. Hmmmm maybe I should switch to AT&T and get a Pre 3 4G???
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Screw HP. I am going to sacrifice my HP MFP on the altar to Canon Maxima...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C

HP Canada didn't get the note for that I guess...

Someone from my car club's wife worked for HP up here, they actually moved people to get the Pre 2.
    That OP is hysterical and incredibly sad. "The vendor," my shiny metal a**.

FWIW, my company still has the EAS setup instructions for the Palm Pre posted on the company site. And it's not a small company.

EAS Just Type/Synergy integration with Address Lookup (and in email To) is still one of the major conveniences I <3 about webOS. Would suck to lose that and large factor in why I still rock a Pre 3. Glad I don't work for "the vendor."

Edit: Are webOS devices really such a security concern at this point? Is there, in fact, any security vulnerability that could be hatched that would be a risk? One that's a general EAS hack but isn't webOS-specific?

Even if standard operating procedure requires 100% certainty, it seems unlikely people would be looking for webOS exploits at this point given how small the footprint must be. I'd think a small security threat on a large platform would be much more dangerous than a moderate security threat from a vanishingly small platform for a number of reasons.
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/04/2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    You gotta love how generic the announcement is. I'm going to save this message from HP as model for future unpleasant situations, e.g,:

"ACTION NEEDED: Your access to the premises at <address> will be removed as of <date>

Please read this message if you reside at that address.*

We regret to inform you that your authorized access to the above premises has been scheduled for retirement. Beginning <date> your key will no longer work. To prevent security issues, you will be blocked from accessing the internal resources of said premises. You can continue to use the public street in front of the property.

Your access is being retired for one or more of the following reasons:

1. You do not meet the minimum noise or cleanliness requirements.
    2. We no longer provide internal support for you on these premises.
    3. Your family and/or employer is no longer paying your rent for these premises.
    4. The divorce or separation papers have been approved.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any further questions, please contact XXX@emailaddress.com."
    Quote Originally Posted by fraseringermany View Post
    This is what I did with my Pre 3. I bought it at initial release...
    "Initial release?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    "Initial release?"
    Yeah you know, those two days it was available in Europe...
    ananimus, xandros9, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    It is sad and amazing to me that someone would have the nerve to post an internal communication that was not written for external consumption. If I were at HP, I would have that person fired. So what that the company prefers to have fewer devices accessing their corporate environment, especially given it is WebOS. Internal support costs are what they are and you cannot blame them for trying to save money.

I absolutely love WebOS, but I am not bitter about why it is not continuing in the marketplace, although I am sad. The failures began with Palm and continued with HP, and the market ultimately decided. This is "Beta vs. VHS" for us old timers... the better technology lost that war back then, just as WebOS has lost this war.

For people to be so bitter and harmful to HP is plain childish and stupid and possibly criminal?. They made a business decision and they are working toward saving their company. They had to do what they did. Just give it a rest already and move on.

As for WebOS, I truly freaking LOVE this operating system and am sad that I have to deal with the likes of Android and Apple IOS as alternatives... but I have accepted it and moved on.
    Specially for HP's collaborators:

[WTB] HP/Palm Pres forbidden by the corporation! I'm so cool that I gonna save you from this dilema & accept donations, too!

#okIstopped

(I'll be stoned in 3... 2... 1... )

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fraseringermany View Post
    I worked as an analyst when we bought palm and at the time people were issued Pre 2 as the standard device.

HP employees always have the option to BYOD and a lot of people just plug their personal phones into the exchanges, so many iphones are around. This is what I did with my Pre 3. I bought it at initial release and used it for both work and private.
    Lemme tell you again. Here in Austria neither cusomers could buy any Pre or Touchpad, nor could the HP guys themselves. The HP Austria guys were even excluded from the firesale. One of their salesguys would have loved to get a hold of a Pre3 but couldn't.

Mostly the HP people over here didn't even know about the Pres. I asked one, why he messes around with an iPhone (ok, he was a printer guy from HP) and doesn't use a Pre ... he went: "a WHAT?"

LOL
    so much for that...

oh, and, PS: I had to REALLY look for an Amazon Marketplace REseller who delivers to my country, th even get the TP (Amazon.de wouldn't deliver it). And I had to buy my Pre3 via a german guy I knew from an other forum, to get one over here.
    So much for HP and Palm before them: They wouldn't want to take my money even if I forced it on them ... who wonders, that they went bust ...
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 09/05/2013 at 08:20 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    They wouldn't want to take my money even if I forced it on them ... who wonders, that they went bust ...
    it always annoys me when i read other sites claiming "webOS failed" or the touchpad/pre3 failed hense their removal when in fact it was just the fact that Leo wasnt interested and pulled the plug anyways, their argument that the touchpad was a slow seller may be true but wasnt why webOS was pulled, hell the same argument gets used for the pre3 when it got shelved on its launch day. How the hell can a phone "fail" when its canned on the very day its released.

and yeah i recall lots of people clamouring to try and aquire either firesale touchpads or ANY pre3 from anywhere they could and lots of online retailers that did have some started enforcing restrictions on where they could be shipped too. (in fact the first story of that i heard i think was someplace in france being inundated with requests to ship out of france to all over the place and they couldnt manage so restricted deliveries to their own country, then i think lots of other places started enforcing 1 device per order restrictions to stop resellers getting it all.)
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    it always annoys me when i read other sites claiming "webOS failed" or the touchpad/pre3 failed hense their removal when in fact it was just the fact that Leo wasnt interested and pulled the plug anyways, their argument that the touchpad was a slow seller may be true but wasnt why webOS was pulled, hell the same argument gets used for the pre3 when it got shelved on its launch day. How the hell can a phone "fail" when its canned on the very day its released.

and yeah i recall lots of people clamouring to try and aquire either firesale touchpads or ANY pre3 from anywhere they could and lots of online retailers that did have some started enforcing restrictions on where they could be shipped too. (in fact the first story of that i heard i think was someplace in france being inundated with requests to ship out of france to all over the place and they couldnt manage so restricted deliveries to their own country, then i think lots of other places started enforcing 1 device per order restrictions to stop resellers getting it all.)
    Count me in there... I think I placed orders on 20+ sites and ALL of them got cancelled! I ended up getting a TP's above firesale price but still reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Count me in there... I think I placed orders on 20+ sites and ALL of them got cancelled! I ended up getting a TP's above firesale price but still reasonable.
    id already got one in the june time, pre-ordered but wanted a backup or spare and i also had orders in for firesale tpads that all got cancelled, i think 2 of my pre3 ones also got cancelled before my 3rd attempt bore fruit.

i think all attempts to aquire via webpage orders (because they were all comitting online suicide) failed and i made 2 direct via phone call which also didnt work.

hellish times...
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Hi All,

just kicked the sync again manually and tweaked a bit... seems to work (at least manually) now:

go to /usr/bin and locate
    mojomail-eas-debug
    make a backup copy and edit using vi

then... you find the command line call:
    exec $PREFIX mojomail-eas -c "$CONFIG" "Palm" "Palm/1.0.1"

modify this to be

exec $PREFIX mojomail-eas -c "$CONFIG" "Android" "Android/4.0.4-EAS-1.3"

save the file and then call:
    /usr/bin/mojomail-eas-debug -c {\"log\":{\"appender\":{\"type\":\"syslog\"},\"levels\":{\"com.palm.eas\":\"critical\"}}}
    Android Android/4.0.4-EAS-1.3

...on the command line. Wait a moment and you'll see a lot of text flowing around.

Next step is to tweak the regular call which is done to mojomail-eas to pass the right device type to the command. Funny thing is that "Palm" is the device type and "Palm/1.0.1" shows the device details. This is being filtered. Changing the parameters the phone tells the Exchange server that it seems like to be an Android phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast