1.    #1  
    I really dont know why this should be so difficult?
    Let me try to understand this : -

1 - The default PhoneBook app that came with my Treo 270 alows me find a Contact just by typing the first letter of the first name and then some of the second name . . . ('jham' would quickly find John Hamilton for instance). This is good . . but Agendus DOESN'T do this! Why not? Why is Agendus 'inferior' in this respect?

2 - Anyway, having found the contact I want, the default PhoneBook app that came with my Treo 270 alows me to use the jog-dial to select which number I wish to use and then dial it by pressing the jog-dial (an ESSENTIAL one-handed operation which even the cheapest little mobile phone will emulate). This is good . . but Agendus DOESN'T do this! Why not? Instead, Agendus forces me to stop walking . . put down my briefcase and the roll of drawings tucked under my arm, sit down, pull out the little stylus and then tap away at the screen to dial!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they serious? Its meant to be a mobile device, for use out walking or in the car or sitting in a pub or restaurant.

I was driving home tonight and my wife called me on my Treo and asked me to book a restaurant. As it was dark in the car I double clicked the power button to bring on the backlight. "This Treo is great" I thought to myself as the display lit up. I entered 'Ant' for Antonios and suddenly remembered that the default PhoneBook app wouldn't find a 'company' . . . "so thats what I bought Agendus for!!!" I smiled to myself as I switched to Agendus (all still a one-handed operation at this point),

I entered 'Ant' again and smiled as Agendus went straight to Antonios. I pushed the jog-dial to start dialing and it went into ****ing 'contact edit' mode!!!! After a few pointless pushes at the jog-dial I realised I was going to have to stop the car and get the stylus out and tap away at the screen just to phone a restaurant!! This is NOT acceptable. Would someone PLEASE tell me how to find a Company contact and then dial the number in Agendus using the jog-dial (ie one-handed) . . or am I going to have to buy MORE software (TakePhone or Fingerdial or whatever) just to make a phone call to a Company contact? I am getting really fed up with this Treo. I just wanted to combine my mobile phone and my Palm Vx and I thought the Treo could do that.
    here's the answer to your problem!!!!!!!

http://www.fingerclick.com/
    Originally posted by sleibow
    here's the answer to your problem!!!!!!!

http://www.fingerclick.com/
    Out of curiosity, I took your suggestion and downloaded the trial version of FingerDial from the fingerclick website.

Unfortunately, I find that this app and others which are similar are based on a flawed concept are far as business use is concerned, and that is the assumption that the 10 keys of a keypad can do as good a job as 26 keys (the alphabet) in rapidly and efficiently narrowing down a list of possible contacts in order to zero in on the one you want. This defies the logic of simple mathematics.

I have 2200 entries in my Contacts datafile, which is not at all unusual for business use of a handheld. Many others on this list and elsewhere have many more entries than this. In Treo's PhoneBook app, and in Agendus's contact view, I seldom if ever have to type more than three or four letters in the find box in order to zoom right to a page with the one I want, but with FingerDial and similar "phonepad finders", clicking 4 keys gives me a list of 20 or more possibilities to hunt through (!) to find the one I want, and in addition, the find feature is so slow that it lags behind my taps so that I don't know whether it's working or not until it gets around to reporting 20 finds!

IMHO, apps based on the "phonepad finder" principal may be okay for a personal list of a few hundred entries, but for business use they are pretty lame.

What I would like to see Agendus add is the facility Treo Phonebook has to start the search with this first initial of the first name. That is a huge improvement over earlier finders!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've been a registered user of Agendus since the ActionNames days. I got so frustrated with the most recent version that I gave DateBk5 a shot...and haven't looked back since!

Agendus 6 was so buggy and poorly designed that I couldn't stand it any longer. It definitely says something when Treo's built-in Contacts app is more innovative than Agendus itself.

I also wasn't very impressed with iambic's tech support. I reported several problems that I was having with Agendus and iambic Mail, and was told to wait for later versions. Needless to say, the later versions either didn't resolve the issues (in the case of iambic Mail) or never seemed to arrive (in the case of Agendus).
    Originally posted by mathguru
    I've been a registered user of Agendus since the ActionNames days. I got so frustrated with the most recent version that I gave DateBk5 a shot...and haven't looked back since!

Agendus 6 was so buggy and poorly designed that I couldn't stand it any longer. It definitely says something when Treo's built-in Contacts app is more innovative than Agendus itself.

I also wasn't very impressed with iambic's tech support. I reported several problems that I was having with Agendus and iambic Mail, and was told to wait for later versions. Needless to say, the later versions either didn't resolve the issues (in the case of iambic Mail) or never seemed to arrive (in the case of Agendus).
    I don't understand that.

I've got the latest version of Agendus, and I think it's fantastic!

I love the design of the program, the views and displays, especially the scrolling Next 30 Days view, and most of all the direct link between contacts and events etc.

I use it very heavily in my law practice, and I find it nearly bugfree.

The only teeny tiny bug I've found is that if I enter a Todo without linking it to a contact, Agendus inserts a one or two strange characters at the beginning of the entry, which actually has trained me to also link my Todos to contacts whenever possible.

DateBk5 has a few features Agendus doesn't which I don't need, and Agendus has a number of features DateBk5 doesn't which I do need and appreciate, so it all depends on the nature of your work and personal habits.

Also, when I pointed out to iambic support by email the fact that if all of your phone labels are set to "Other" the Dial option doesn't get included in the popup menu, I got a personal response and a note of appreciation that they were passing this along to their programmers and would correct it, even though this was not a big deal and how many people label their phone contacts all "Other" anyway - they treated me very courteously even though this has got to be a very minor issue. Many companies would have treated me like an eccentric crank for even having a few entries set up that way and then complaining about it.

IMHO Agendus is a much more sophisticated program than DateBk5, in the sense that it is really a complete business management program, while DateBk5 is a super calendar and appointment book. I think it is pointless to compare them, but I know you are in a majority who do, so I accept that even though I don't understand it.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!