• 8 Post By Cibum Amo
  • 5 Post By kevets
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  • 1 Post By Cibum Amo
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and its a "it's good to back post". I left the Palm community shortly after the sale of Palm to HP. I was fed up with several aspects of my Pre due to the provider and than I was offered an IPhone 4 at a price I could not refuse.

A few months ago, during the family imposed spring cleaning, I came across my old phones. I started University with a Treo 755P and finished my degree on a Pre. The first thing I noticed is how much better they fit in my hand. I found them more comfortable than the IPhone, especially the 755P. Once I booted them up I made another realization. They were easier to use than my IPhone, I would even say they more intuitive. It's hard to describe but you know when something just feels right.

It took me two days to get my Pre up and running...

1 hrs to read all articles on the HP Certificate expiry,
    3 hrs to figure out why the CMD would not allow a java command (Damn you Environment Variables),
    2 hrs to figures out I needed the Canadian show first use app since my phone came from Bell,
    15 min to figure out that I set my time too far in the past for the app store to up date the catalogue,
    and then magic started...

Now that the phone is fully functional in Developer Mode I want to share a few thoughts:

1. WebOS Quick install = Awesome
    2. Preware = Awesome
    3. I am really impressed with the quality of work being produced post HP
    4. Money always goes towards excellence

The fourth point may seem out of context especially with the uphill battle keeping WebOS and our old Palm devices running. However, if this community can continue to provide excellence in the work being crafted the future is bright.

Just think of this. Between Home 3D prototyping machines and ever cheaper electronics we may one day be able to create home built cellphone kits. Image being able to make our own cellphone the way our grand-parents made their own crystal radios. I don't own a home prototyping machine but I have seen some really great creations when using stumbleupon.
    welcome back
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Welcome back and thanks for the uplifting words. Hope you enjoy your stay

Oh, and when you say "Pre", which one in particular? Since you said Bell, i'm assuming it to be a Pre+, which has a one-piece plastic screen. So if you like, there's always the option of upgrading to the newer Pre2 (flat glass screen with plastic bezel), which is faster but uses many of the same parts (batteries, back covers, comm-boards)

I own a Pre+ myself, but the Pre2 should be closer to the iPhone4 performance-wise, so be sure to check it out.

Hopefully you already own a Touchstone wireless charger, and if not, get one! Being able to set the phone down on it and not fiddling with cables makes a huge difference, and really compliments the natural flow and effortlessness of webOS UI
    Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cibum Amo View Post
    ...Just think of this. Between Home 3D prototyping machines and ever cheaper electronics we may one day be able to create home built cellphone kits. Image being able to make our own cellphone the way our grand-parents made their own crystal radios. I don't own a home prototyping machine but I have seen some really great creations when using stumbleupon.
    Hmmm... Now I am thinking about it...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    The cell phone business has turned into the US government.

There's a two party system. iTunes App Store and Google Play Store.
    If you try and run as an independent, you won't be taken seriously by politicians or the constituents.
    Big corporations are heavily invested in a certain party/candidate's success.
    Majority of people have accepted that this system is just the way it's meant to be.
    No real signs of change or anyone capable of changing the way the system works.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post

If you try and run as an independent, you won't be taken seriously by politicians or the constituents.
    Majority of people have accepted that this system is just the way it's meant to be.
    OwOS + Alien Dalvik FTW???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    OwOS + Alien Dalvik FTW???
    I'd take it, but is there anything has been able to break the hold of Google Play Services? Even with the advancements on BB10 getting 4.2 compatibility, that is something that holds back many apps from working. I feel like the breakthrough that would allow true app parity is still 5 years away.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html

...so sadly very true!

truer than I'd like it to be. in respect to both

however, its nice seeing independents like Blackberry and Microsoft at least getting SOME recognition for their efforts, at least they're on the ballot somewhat, its just that none of the non-techies recognize their names anymore I bet.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I'd take it, but is there anything has been able to break the hold of Google Play Services? Even with the advancements on BB10 getting 4.2 compatibility, that is something that holds back many apps from working. I feel like the breakthrough that would allow true app parity is still 5 years away.
    Taking it certainly wont help break that hold any sooner. OwOS + Dalvik is like a marriage in hell between the Green Party and the Tea drinkers. I think this is like one of those fads that only time can deal with. The G apps & services mind share is past critical and the chatter, however baseless, is all we'll hear for now. My take is that concerted efforts between some important players (private & public sectors as well as gov't and the 'open foundations') will be crucial in achieving that parity. They may be at all sorts of odds but I think the realization that open standards is the best way forward will be the catalyst.

Imagine the roles that Open & Libre Office, The Mozilla Foundation (read: Firefox OS + Thunderbird.com), Ubuntu Touch, GIMP, Open Street Maps and others, can play in bringing services to bear against the juggernaut. Even internet service itself as Google now has a change of heart on net neutrality.

(I see this diverging in all directions so I'll leave it at that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Taking it certainly wont help break that hold any sooner. OwOS + Dalvik is like a marriage in hell between the Green Party and the Tea drinkers. I think this is like one of those fads that only time can deal with. The G apps & services mind share is past critical and the chatter, however baseless, is all we'll hear for now. My take is that concerted efforts between some important players (private & public sectors as well as gov't and the 'open foundations') will be crucial in achieving that parity. They may be at all sorts of odds but I think the realization that open standards is the best way forward will be the catalyst.

Imagine the roles that Open & Libre Office, The Mozilla Foundation (read: Firefox OS + Thunderbird.com), Ubuntu Touch, GIMP, Open Street Maps and others, can play in bringing services to bear against the juggernaut. Even internet service itself as Google now has a change of heart on net neutrality.

(I see this diverging in all directions so I'll leave it at that.)
    Is this ideological bait or what?

Open webOS is open source, Dalvik is open-source (granted, there are proprietary forks like Myriad's and OpenMobile's). If webOS users suddenly had access to services like Netflix, that's not hell.
  12.    #12  
    I like how my post went from "its nice to be back" to "the large corporations block everything."

Reading another post I saw someone saying to try craigslist before Ebay when looking for devices. Behold I am now the proud owner of a Pre 2 which I cant get to work lol. It passes the time if nothing else. Now I get to open another thread in the Pre 2 help section.

As for the ideological baiting, IMHO, certain people like myself are sick of paying 600-800$ for a phone every three years when they last much longer and the additional bling is just cheap. I may still have my Pre when I will be able something else comes along worth switching to.
    [...]

As for the ideological baiting, IMHO, certain people like myself are sick of paying 600-800$ for a phone every three years when they last much longer and the additional bling is just cheap. I may still have my Pre when I will be able something else comes along worth switching to.
    Me too. My "daily driver" is a Pre+ and most people can't understand why i'd want to use something "that old"

Who cares what they think

BTW, when i said "ideological baiting" i was actually referring to those endless "FOSS vs. proprietary" software wars. There's no sense in someone bringing that here, and i prefer to end an argument before it starts
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and its a "it's good to back post". I left the Palm community shortly after the sale of Palm to HP. I was fed up with several aspects of my Pre due to the provider and than I was offered an IPhone 4 at a price I could not refuse.

A few months ago, during the family imposed spring cleaning, I came across my old phones. I started University with a Treo 755P and finished my degree on a Pre. The first thing I noticed is how much better they fit in my hand. I found them more comfortable than the IPhone, especially the 755P. Once I booted them up I made another realization. They were easier to use than my IPhone, I would even say they more intuitive. It's hard to describe but you know when something just feels right.

It took me two days to get my Pre up and running...

1 hrs to read all articles on the HP Certificate expiry,
    3 hrs to figure out why the CMD would not allow a java command (Damn you Environment Variables),
    2 hrs to figures out I needed the Canadian show first use app since my phone came from Bell,
    15 min to figure out that I set my time too far in the past for the app store to up date the catalogue,
    and then magic started...

Now that the phone is fully functional in Developer Mode I want to share a few thoughts:

1. WebOS Quick install = Awesome
    2. Preware = Awesome
    3. I am really impressed with the quality of work being produced post HP
    4. Money always goes towards excellence

The fourth point may seem out of context especially with the uphill battle keeping WebOS and our old Palm devices running. However, if this community can continue to provide excellence in the work being crafted the future is bright.

Just think of this. Between Home 3D prototyping machines and ever cheaper electronics we may one day be able to create home built cellphone kits. Image being able to make our own cellphone the way our grand-parents made their own crystal radios. I don't own a home prototyping machine but I have seen some really great creations when using stumbleupon.
    glad to have you here.

and glad to hear a new optimistic voice in support of webOS.

i know i could use the support. webOS has become my abusive spouse.

i put up with its b.s., constant complaining, erratic behavior and mood swings, because i still love what it was when i discovered it, and still long for what it could have been. i also cant find anything to replace it.

i know a lot about this phone, and yet i know NOTHING apparently, as i cannot get a phone to just WORK - to just DO what it's intended to do, consistently, without every other day being a "so this is how you're going to act today??" argument with it.

but i forgive it, and redoctor it, and try again and again.

unfortunately, the comm tech will evolve. without an LTE Pre in existence, we'll all soon be fighting for the last of the Veers just to get HSPA+. I can't believe i fight so hard to maintain a 3G phone now. but i am pretty sure i'm an *****, so that's probably why.

the ability to build our own phone handsets could be awesome. but unlike hardware of yore, we can't just plug in the latest model to the same ol' POTS phone jack in the wall. intersecting technologies are evolving at different rates and are not universal, but contrarily proprietary. it seems the one equivalency to our corrupt political system is that as it evolves, it just gets worse for the gen-pop and more profitable for the few who dominate and manipulate the system.

yeah, i'm not doin' so good with the happy lately. so welcome back. you're appreciated.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Me too. My "daily driver" is a Pre+ and most people can't understand why i'd want to use something "that old"

Who cares what they think

BTW, when i said "ideological baiting" i was actually referring to those endless "FOSS vs. proprietary" software wars. There's no sense in someone bringing that here, and i prefer to end an argument before it starts
    wow. in the time it took to write my post, you guys are posting and reading my mind.

sometimes i wonder what EXACTLY it is, inside our heads, that maintains our link to webOS.

to quote from above:
    "It's hard to describe but you know when something just feels right."
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/13/2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Behold I am now the proud owner of a Pre 2 which I cant get to work lol. It passes the time if nothing else. Now I get to open another thread in the Pre 2 help section.
    if i can help any with your Pre2 issues, I'd be happy to assist. mine is a real patience tester. PM me anytime. i'm no expert tho.
    I like how my post went from "its nice to be back" to "the large corporations block everything."
    Yeah sorry about that. There are a lot of us that are still passionate about this OS and wish things were different. Most of us can't really do much to affect it though. I've still got my stable of webOS devices at home, but for me it turned into too much fussing to get things to work the way I wanted.

but for me it turned into too much fussing to get things to work the way I wanted.
    sounds like my iOS experience (using jailbreak of course)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Remy X likes this.
  19.    #19  
    A Ha!!! I had to reinstall JAVA SDK for the cmd to recognize java commands and then WebOS Doctor did its magic. The joy of a Pre 2 is now at my finger tips...

A lot Interesting points in the thread. All I can say is who knows where the future will be. Who would have though as little as three years ago that Black Berry may be sale.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    A Ha!!! I had to reinstall JAVA SDK for the cmd to recognize java commands and then WebOS Doctor did its magic. The joy of a Pre 2 is now at my finger tips...

A lot Interesting points in the thread. All I can say is who knows where the future will be. Who would have though as little as three years ago that Black Berry may be sale.
    I did.

As a web developer, i was baffled by how resistant RIM was to building a proper browser, with their last attempt being to use WebKit on the server side and act as a proxy while the phone's browser app is essentially a dumb terminal, incapable of doing its own rendering... Those server-side renderers can be a pain to deal with unless you specifically test for them, because they start with running a small amount of Javascript, but then it times out and quits, sending the page to the user and yet click events are supported, so you can't use code on your page that has persistent objects that "sleep" in memory and perform an action based on an event (human interface or network events) or timer... you're pretty much limited to stupid stuff like mouseovers that should be done using CSS anyway...

I could see back then how backwards they were and that "iPhone-style" devices (iOS, webOS and Android) were the next generation. Maybe i'm a bit too technical in my explanation and fail to get the point across, but back in '09 or '10 it was clear that Blackberry was not just a victim of someone's fast innovation, but was falling behind the times due to a useless kind of stubbornness, as if the company was run by 80 year old men who religiously believed that their way was the only way...

Yeah, i'm being harsh, but the writing was on the wall. Arrogance doesn't lead to anything good...