Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 3 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By jrb363
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By boovish
  1.    #1  
    If Apple buys LG TV display panels, what then with LG's webOS smart TVs.

A recent rumor comes up on Appleinsider about Apple is in talks with LG over "Ultra HDTV" screens.

In a separate report, the hit-or-miss publication said a rumor making the rounds in Asia has Apple in talks with South Korea's LG Display over the purchase of 55- and 65-inch "Ultra HDTV" panels. Sharp is also reportedly being considered as a supplier for the high-resolution displays.

While it is unknown what product Apple is planning for the panels, the project remains in the testing phase, meaning no deals have been made.

Televisions using these screens, sometimes referred to as "4K" displays, are just now hitting the consumer market from major industry players Samsung, Sony, and Sharp.

Source: Rumor: Apple ramps iOS device chip orders, in talks with LG over 4K displays
    geekpeter likes this.
    I doubt LG will allow Apple to drive it out of the SmartTV market.. They certainly have the money to build another factory if the demand for display panels goes up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I doubt LG will allow Apple to drive it out of the SmartTV market.. They certainly have the money to build another factory if the demand for display panels goes up...
    what if instead of pushing them out they want to get in bed with them and try and get IOS on their sets, could be they may try and push their OS and try to convince LG to not develop webOS for themselves but to use apples OS and app store.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    what if instead of pushing them out they want to get in bed with them and try and get IOS on their sets, could be they may try and push their OS and try to convince LG to not develop webOS for themselves but to use apples OS and app store.
    Apple doesn't loan out its OS, not since the clone era..

So there can only be one brand, either LG or Apple, and not a shared, co-branded effort. When Apple builds something, they want to take all the credit.... That's the "mystique", you know

LG as a component supplier makes sense though, just as Apple buys Samsung chips despite steady competition between the two companies.
    LG isn't stupid... they certainly aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot to supply a competitor. I can't imagine they would build supply quotes to Apple without figuring their own needs into the baseline. We aren't talking HP here.
    Remy X, geekpeter and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Maybe this means Apple is secretly helping LG develop webOS! Then Apple will ditch the lame iOS and start running webOS 4.0 on their future television! Then they will release a quad-core 3.0Ghz iPhone 6 running iwebOS 4.0 with 4GB ram and 128HD!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    renater likes this.
    Coming soon... "wePhone"? :

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Coming soon... "wePhone"? :

Best Regards...
    A "weePhone"? Sounds like a small version of the iPhone. (hehehe ... that joke probably only makes sense in Scotland)
    You heard it here first and are my witnesses so I can sue the cr*p out of Apple if they use the terminus as a name for a product, ok?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LG isn't stupid... they certainly aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot to supply a competitor. I can't imagine they would build supply quotes to Apple without figuring their own needs into the baseline. We aren't talking HP here.
    LG LCD panels is only one of the many divisions under the LG group. Sony also buys LG panels for their TVs, and I would say the Optimus is definitely a competitor to the Xperia.

Same situation where Samsung's fabs which supplies Apple with chips technically isn't related to their Mobile division, other than some Galaxies use Exnyos chips. The thing about Apple trying to cut Samsung from their supplier chain sounds more like a price negotiation thing rather than a tactical "don't buy from enemies" thing. In fact there were reports they started buying Samsung chips again.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    there's only so many companies producing 4k screens. Apple will have to buy from one of them, regardless of what their other divisions are producing, even if it is a competitive product.

Apple no longer views others as 'direct competitors' anyway. They've built their BRAND RECOGNITION AND ALLEGIANCE very well, and it's the BRAND that determines its PREMIUM status now, not the components inside.

LG will sell their screens to whomever wants them. and they'll also expand their consumer product line with webOS-powered devices too. most likely selling to customers who don't want to pay for the Apple logo but still want the same quality screen. (like us)
    i suppose if you already watch tv then a 4k tv sounds appealing, not sure how many 4k tv channels are in the pipeline however, but if your like me and tend to watch tv on a mobile device then 4k tv seems a bad idea given the insane bandwidth required.

do any "proper" tv channels/providers have 4k tv channels to actually serve all these new tv's?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    If Apple buys LG TV display panels, what then with LG's webOS smart TVs.

A recent rumor comes up on Appleinsider about Apple is in talks with LG over "Ultra HDTV" screens.

In a separate report, the hit-or-miss publication said a rumor making the rounds in Asia has Apple in talks with South Korea's LG Display over the purchase of 55- and 65-inch "Ultra HDTV" panels. Sharp is also reportedly being considered as a supplier for the high-resolution displays.

While it is unknown what product Apple is planning for the panels, the project remains in the testing phase, meaning no deals have been made.

Televisions using these screens, sometimes referred to as "4K" displays, are just now hitting the consumer market from major industry players Samsung, Sony, and Sharp.

Source: Rumor: Apple ramps iOS device chip orders, in talks with LG over 4K displays
    I think they would just make custom displays for the store, like in the MS store. LG will just make more. They have a factory
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    Maybe this means Apple is secretly helping LG develop webOS! Then Apple will ditch the lame iOS and start running webOS 4.0 on their future television! Then they will release a quad-core 3.0Ghz iPhone 6 running iwebOS 4.0 with 4GB ram and 128HD!
    Well Cook is trying to run Apple into the ground. Just wait till I assume control. I'm gonna to invent a dental aide called Professor Toothy just like this one
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Jimbode likes this.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i suppose if you already watch tv then a 4k tv sounds appealing, not sure how many 4k tv channels are in the pipeline however, but if your like me and tend to watch tv on a mobile device then 4k tv seems a bad idea given the insane bandwidth required.

do any "proper" tv channels/providers have 4k tv channels to actually serve all these new tv's?
    4k TV's apparently up-scale.