1.    #1  
    New User Name=Lost Registrations!

Saving the gory details for another post, yesterday I concluded rightly or wrongly to create a new user name because I couldnít seem to get a non-corrupted restore after a massive lockup and hard reset.

Only problem is that I have many many bought and paid for palm applications which now have reverted to demo mode because they donít recognize my user name, even though I could re-enter all the passwords which I kept recorded elsewhere on my computer.

Short of writing and begging all these companies and hoping they are all still in business and have not changed their email addresses and are willing to write back promptly,. is there any faster and easier way to get back to my old user name and setup without getting stuck again with a massive treo lockup?

Hoping for some helpful advice,

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by NateS
    New User Name=Lost Registrations!

Saving the gory details for another post, yesterday I concluded rightly or wrongly to create a new user name because I couldnít seem to get a non-corrupted restore after a massive lockup and hard reset.

Only problem is that I have many many bought and paid for palm applications which now have reverted to demo mode because they donít recognize my user name, even though I could re-enter all the passwords which I kept recorded elsewhere on my computer.

Short of writing and begging all these companies and hoping they are all still in business and have not changed their email addresses and are willing to write back promptly,. is there any faster and easier way to get back to my old user name and setup without getting stuck again with a massive treo lockup?

Hoping for some helpful advice,

Regards,

NateS
    Perhaps I should explain that the reason I created a new user name, out of desperation, in order to do a selective restore was because every time I tried to do a selective restore with my original user name, using Install Files, Backup Buddy repeatedly insisted on kicking in and doing a full restore leading to another lockup, even though I had BB set to Do Nothing. I should have probably just moved BB to Disabled Conduits temporarily to overcome this problem, but it didn't then occur to me.

Still need help with the above problem.
    Thanks.

Regards,

NateS
    If you have corrupted system files on your handheld, these files are also backed up when you do a hotsync.

If you simply do a hard reset and then a hotsync, you will get those corrupted files right back onto your handheld.

To fix the problem:

1. Perform a hotsync to back up your data.

2. Do a hard reset on teh handheld.

3. Use Windows Explorer to get to C:\Program Files\Palm(or Handspring)\<you User Name folder>\Backup.

4. Cut the Backup folder and paste it to your desktop

5. Next, check your conduit settings in Hotsync Manager, to make sure that your System conduit is set to Handheld Overwrites Desktop.

6. Perform a hotsync operation.

You will not get any of your third party application back onto your handheld, but you will not get any more Fatal Errors either.

7. Now, you can use the Install Tool to reinstall the PRCs and PDB from your old Backup folder that you pasted to teh Desktop.

8. Open the folder on the desktop and select your "bought and paid for" applications.

9. Do another hotsync and re-register.

Most third party applications are registered to the handheld user name, and not to the person that purchased them. This is why your registration codes will not work with a different user name on the handheld.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by eldonmcd
    If you have corrupted system files on your handheld, these files are also backed up when you do a hotsync.

If you simply do a hard reset and then a hotsync, you will get those corrupted files right back onto your handheld.

To fix the problem:

1. Perform a hotsync to back up your data.

2. Do a hard reset on teh handheld.

3. Use Windows Explorer to get to C:\Program Files\Palm(or Handspring)\<you User Name folder>\Backup.

4. Cut the Backup folder and paste it to your desktop

5. Next, check your conduit settings in Hotsync Manager, to make sure that your System conduit is set to Handheld Overwrites Desktop.

6. Perform a hotsync operation.

You will not get any of your third party application back onto your handheld, but you will not get any more Fatal Errors either.

7. Now, you can use the Install Tool to reinstall the PRCs and PDB from your old Backup folder that you pasted to teh Desktop.

8. Open the folder on the desktop and select your "bought and paid for" applications.

9. Do another hotsync and re-register.

Most third party applications are registered to the handheld user name, and not to the person that purchased them. This is why your registration codes will not work with a different user name on the handheld.
    This was excellent advice.

I am back in business.

Thanks very much!

Regards,

NateS