Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By dkirker
  • 3 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    I was listening to the iOS 7 rundown on this week's MacBreak Weekly netcast on TWiT.tv yesterday--there were several comments crediting webOS for originating a number of innovations that are just now making their way into iOS 7, Android, and BB10.

One thing a panelist said he still wanted was the ability to choose to review each notification from a given app or just dismiss the whole lot. Yeah, they still need to catch up with webOS 3 (2011).

Some vindication--but very, very bittersweet, to say the least.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    And only a few years ago they were complaining that none of these features were important... yeah... right.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    And only a few years ago they were complaining that none of these features were important... yeah... right.
    they are important now the originator of the features isnt a contender in the slightest.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    they are important now the originator of the features isnt a contender in the slightest.
    That's the bit that bothers me... Why should it matter if they are a contendor? A good feature is a good feature! I guess everyone wants to know that they are right or the best. If someone else has something better, then you no longer feel like "the best"...

This is similar to me being bothered when someone says to me "Why don't you use a real platform? webOS is dead..." Maybe to you... But I still use it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    That's the bit that bothers me... Why should it matter if they are a contendor? A good feature is a good feature! I guess everyone wants to know that they are right or the best. If someone else has something better, then you no longer feel like "the best"...

This is similar to me being bothered when someone says to me "Why don't you use a real platform? webOS is dead..." Maybe to you... But I still use it.
    I still use it also. As long as we keep using it, it won't die. I still prefer webOS to CM10 on the same device. I've seen and used newer Android tablets with more hardware features, but still prefer the TouchPad with webOS. I can't bring myself to spend even $400 on a new Android tablet or iPad and I have the money to do so. I just think that money would be wasted. When ACL is done, I will have most of the apps I need on the platform I think is best.

It really bugs the heck out of me after all of the bickering we have had with iOS and Android users in this forum about the merits of certain features in webOS like card view multitasking, Synergy, and the best notification system for any mobile OS (then and now) that some of those same folks would only acknowledge the superiority of those features once they were added to their favorite OS. iOS users are the worst. They dismissed cut and paste, multi-tasking, live wallpapers, centralized notifications and card view when it wasn't part of their OS. Then have the nerve to parade around when it was finally added by Apple. Then they wonder why they are fittingly called sheep. I think they are worst then sheep. I think they are loud mouth, know nothing hypocrites who could care less about innovation and more about being in the me-too crowd.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/14/2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

because apple can say its "theirs" because palm isnt around to do it themselves and remind others they did it before apple decided to adopt it and raise as their own.

in many cases history as we know is written by the survivors as they choose to see it rather than how things really went down.
    Remy X and dkirker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I still use it also. As long as we keep using it, it won't die. I still prefer webOS to CM10 on the same device. I've seen and used newer Android tablets with more hardware features, but still prefer the TouchPad with webOS. I can't bring myself to spend even $400 on a new Android tablet or iPad and I have the money to do so. I just think that money would be wasted. When ACL is done, I will have most of the apps I need on the platform I think is best.

It really bugs the heck out of me after all of the bickering we have had with iOS and Android users in this forum about the merits of certain features in webOS like card view multitasking, Synergy, and the best notification system for any mobile OS (then and now) that some of those same folks would only acknowledge the superiority of those features once they were added to their favorite OS. iOS users are the worst. They dismissed cut and paste, multi-tasking, live wallpapers, centralized notifications and card view when it wasn't part of their OS. Then have the nerve to parade around when it was finally added by Apple. Then they wonder why they are fittingly called sheep. I think they are worst then sheep. I think they are loud mouth, know nothing hypocrites who could care less about innovation and more about being in the me-too crowd.

yet the fruity based people not only gained those features but they still have intrusive/cloaked apps doing as they please without you knowing what they have access too, just in that case they dont seem to care.

always find it weird when people seem angry or shocked if their personal details are released in other ways yet when their "preferred" phone does it without them knowing they dont seem to care while its doing it in the guise of a fun time waster game.

apple users future seems to be to have the best of everything from other sources with the worst of everything still there and hidden away.

must say that i did only use my ipad3 for watching tv/netflix but since i got a cheapo 6" android phone i havent used the ipad once after that as it does the same only it fits in my pocket.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

I still use my touchpad regularly but my phone is an iphone. I think TECH users of all platforms at this point realize the strengths and weaknesses of other platforms. It would be nice to move on from the battels and name calling. I put the emphasis on tech because those are people that are part of the 10% that jailbreak, root, or unlock developer mode on their devices or at least are aware enough to know those options. Maybe being on the commercial losing side(webOS fanatic) means I am free from the platform wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I still use my touchpad regularly but my phone is an iphone. I think TECH users of all platforms at this point realize the strengths and weaknesses of other platforms. It would be nice to move on from the battels and name calling. I put the emphasis on tech because those are people that are part of the 10% that jailbreak, root, or unlock developer mode on their devices or at least are aware enough to know those options. Maybe being on the commercial losing side(webOS fanatic) means I am free from the platform wars.
    i like tech but prefer features more, i liked at the time the tech for the ipad3 but was dismayed when i found it couldnt, even with cydia provide a feature like ubuntu or emulators i personally have grown acustomed to having access too on webOS or to a lesser scale android.

this which seems a minor or non existant issue to "normal" users is the sole reason id never use an apple product as my primary phone or tablet, to me their just games machines/toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i like tech but prefer features more, i liked at the time the tech for the ipad3 but was dismayed when i found it couldnt, even with cydia provide a feature like ubuntu or emulators i personally have grown acustomed to having access too on webOS or to a lesser scale android.

this which seems a minor or non existant issue to "normal" users is the sole reason id never use an apple product as my primary phone or tablet, to me their just games machines/toys.
    Well yes then Android would understandably be your most viable choice because of the uses available to you although the typical description of iOS devices as toys cracks me up. I just recorded an album on that "toy."
    Well yes then Android would understandably be your most viable choice because of the uses available to you although the typical description of iOS devices as toys cracks me up. I just recorded an album on that "toy."
    but thats you, can you honestly say the bulk of average iphone users are exactly like you? ive never seen/met an iphone person at work/home but if their anything liek the android users ive met, most just showcase their games collection.

i have tried usign android as a primary device but the OS UI/nagivation just infuriates me, also for a nerdy point of view the ubuntu variants ive tried were a bit clumsy.

Also ive just plain refused to use many android apps that admittedly probably ARE good, but because of many of the permissions they abuse/ask for ive just flat out not bothered using them, or at a push ive used them on a tablet and not let them anywhere near a phone or a device that i have my friends/familys contact/email details on.
    So I'm assuming you are still using a webOS device as your primary phone since you don't like Android or iOS. If so that is awesome. I still miss my pre but eventually the charging port crack ruined the touch screen and it became unusable. I guess I'm just not concerned these days with people's choices and how they use a device. There have always been power users and people that treat them as toys since Palm's early days.
    So I'm assuming you are still using a webOS device as your primary phone since you don't like Android or iOS. If so that is awesome. I still miss my pre but eventually the charging port crack ruined the touch screen and it became unusable. I guess I'm just not concerned these days with people's choices and how they use a device. There have always been power users and people that treat them as toys since Palm's early days.
    yeah pre3 is my primary phone, my current android phone tethers to it, if it needs data as thats got my old pay'as'you'go sim from Orange. The new android replaces my old LG Op1 and is now being used as a guinnea pig to try making a game/app with, all works ok with the pre3 im just struggling with android, may just give up with android in the end and stick to the pre3.

main Tablet is my touchpad (have 3 in total now), ofc they have 2x chroot ubuntu variants/aros/native ubuntu, they did have CM10 for netflix but my android phone is now my TVCatchup/Netflix box as tis a good size at 6" and fits in my inside pocket np so i no longer need CM10 installed which ofc free's some space, i did leave it on 1 of the touchpads just incase the phone cant install something i may take a random interest in.

I did try using the ipad3 for as much as i could but it just ended up being a 10" television in the end, i havent found any "must have" apps that would make me want to use it now im using the android phone as a TV, i think the only app i have been using on the ipad is "RadioBOX" for listening to Digitally Imported on shoutcast (HD Internet Radio Pro was cutting off after a while on the touchpad of late) as im scared to take my touchpad near the bathroom/shower incase it breaks but dont mind as much with the ipad.