View Poll Results: How is webOS doing? Definitions below.

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5. Dominant.

1 1.19%
  • 4. Mainstream.

1 1.19%
  • 3. Optional.

2 2.38%
  • 2. Enthusiast.

45 53.57%
  • 1. Hobbyist.

21 25.00%
  • 0. Dead.

14 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes
    by the definitions provided, its certainly a 2. enthusiasts who are willing to make the extra effort to maintain functionality of an out-of-production device.

it's no different than having a 'classic car' (25 yrs old or more) as your daily driver. which is another questionable thing i do ('88 4Runner). i go thru the extra trouble required to maintain its functionality, at a cost, because i simply like it more than anything new, mainstream, and/or in production.

a hobbyist takes his car to the track or car shows on a trailer.
    and optional is like a used car that's less than 6 years old. still plenty on the road being driven every day. they are still being bought on fleabay, but that's like at an auction, not at a car dealership, so i can't give it a 3.

so definitely a 2.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/15/2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: ok who's the nut who picked 5?? lol
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/15/2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: ok who's the nut who picked 5?? lol.
    Drive-by prankster from Android Central?

Thanks for noticing ..(i certainly didn't)
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  3.    #23  
    I apologise. I realise I set up the poll wrongly.

By my definitions and at this time, webOS is not dead. Nor is it either mainstream or dominant. I guess these votes reflect hopes / expectations for the future - or is simply not being taken seriously!

I should have offered only options 1-3. Perhaps votes in those categories reflect the genuine community view. When the poll is complete I'll add it to the webOS Status Report at least as a point of interest, but I'm not sure how useful the results are.

Another interesting poll is here:
    What Hopes for New webOS Hardware?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/19/2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Remy X and RumoredNow like this.
    Skewed results from some respondents are almost a certainty with any polling effort.

For what it is worth I really dig your status levels and definitions.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #25  
    Still a few days left on this poll, but I think the parade has gone by. So off the top of my head, here's my guess of how 'The Competition' is doing.

5. Android
    4. iOS, Windows Phone, BB10
    3. Firefox
    2. Symbian (I think this is closed source, so next stop is 0...)
    1. Sailfish, Tizen, Bada, Ubuntu, Palm (assumed to be usable and available for industrial uses from Access)
    0. Windows Mobile
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/28/2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Hmm... i'd say Sailfish is on par with Symbian and would place iOS halfway between 4 and 5, but other than that, agree with your rankings...
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hmm... i'd say Sailfish is on par with Symbian and would place iOS halfway between 4 and 5, but other than that, agree with your rankings...
    Sailfish isn't out yet - or is there a port? When it's released, then I'd agree. Very interested to see how they will do.

What about Palm OS? Is that fair?

I hesitated over BB10, but lets not er, preempt. It's still mainstream.

Never seen anyone with an FF phone, but I know it's out there.

Oh, I put in Bada, but know virtually nothing. Is this in active development? Hmm. I see it's been out on devices but is being merged into Tizen. So it's kind of 3, 2 & 1 all at once?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/28/2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Sailfish isn't out yet - or is there a port? When it's released, then I'd agree. Very interested to see how they will do.

What about Palm OS? Is that fair?

I hesitated over BB10, but lets not er, preempt. It's still mainstream.

Never seen anyone with an FF phone, but I know it's out there.

Oh, I put in Bada, but know virtually nothing. Is this in active development? Hmm. I see it's been out on devices but is being merged into Tizen. So it's kind of 3, 2 & 1 all at once?
    Sailfish is a Mer fork (Maemo/Meego, which has been out long enough to have a following and OEM devices) and already has a working Android app VM (licensed from Myriad), and Tizen is Bada + Meego, so there is a big enough "family" around that particular OS. I've heard that brand new Sailfish devices are now on preorder, though i couldn't care less (prefer my original Nokia N900's UI)... so it's pretty close to being on par with Firefox, though with much less carrier support...

BB10, i think it'll continue to share the same spot with WP8 for a while longer, if the management will wake up to the reality and pour themselves a fresh cup of coffee...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Still a few days left on this poll, but I think the parade has gone by. So off the top of my head, here's my guess of how 'The Competition' is doing.

5. Android
    4. iOS, Windows Phone, BB10
    3. Firefox
    2. Symbian (I think this is closed source, so next stop is 0...)
    1. Sailfish, Tizen, Bada, Ubuntu, Palm (assumed to be usable and available for industrial uses from Access)
    0. Windows Mobile
    Put Firefox down at 2... All that is out is a developer preview phone (in two flavors). Say 'hola' to the future - Geeksphone

Sailfish is at a 2 getting ready to move up to 3. The upcoming phones on preorder are meant to be daily drivers. http://www.jolla.com/

Tizen is a 2 verging on 3. Samsung will launch more than one Tizen phone for consumers this year. Samsung GT-i8800 smartphone makes an appearance running Tizen 2.1

Ubuntu Touch is a solid 2... There is lot's going on and development is moving forward steadily...

My two cents.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Never mind... Leave FireFox OS at a 3. Consumer devices have started to roll out.

First Firefox OS phone arrives in Spain Tuesday | TechHive

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    As of early July 2013, somewhere between 1 and 2, probably closer to 2.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
  12.    #32  
    It's 2014 and we're hoping for good news tomorrow.

I thought I'd revisit. My opinion only. Please add your own. For new visitors to this thread - the poll closed 6 months ago. Don't try to vote. I see no need for a new poll until something significant happens.

5. (Dominant) Android
    4.5 iOS - because it makes more money from a smaller share of the market and is way ahead of the rest.
    4. (Mainstream) Windows Phone, BB10 (due to existing users, but on it's way down)
    3. (Optional) Firefox, Tizen, Ubuntu, Sailfish (since the release of the phone)
    2. (Enthusiast) Symbian (I think it was open sourced last time I looked)
    1. (Hobbyist) Palm (assumed to be usable and available for industrial uses from Access)
    0. (Dead) Windows Mobile

So where do I place webOS?

Previously, I knew I was being optimistic by voting for 3. In reality, nothing much has changed, but almost half a year has passed. It may still be possible to buy 'new' devices that are gathering dust somewhere, but the number is dwindling and devices aging. The HP soap opera was replaced by the ACL soap opera. Even if ACL actually arrives properly, it 's very likely that it will be compromised and at absolute minimum, OM have left bitter feelings with their only current customers. Potential crises such as the App Catalogue certificate and Youtube quality problem have been averted. Some development is still occuring.

Tomorrow, LG officially announce their webOS TV. As a TV operating system, webOS is about to become optional and it's possible it may become dominant. Any and all of that is good news for webOS if only for the code that can be adapted into the Port project. But the more succesful the TV is, the greater chance there is for LG to take a risk on webOS for mobile as Google increase their control over Android. However, despite their success with Nexus devices, LG are struggling to profit in the mobile sector - like everyone else who isn't Apple, Google or Samsung. I gather all divisions have to become profitable by 2016 or close. I expect mobile will make it...

Some things look positive, some negative. If a usable port is delivered this year, things may move fast and positively from that point.

Right now, Legacy webOS soldiers on. I say it's at 2. Enthusiasts only folks! Yes, some users have returned & even curious new users have visited the forums and got something from an auction site, but webOS is no longer a serious option compared to what's out there.

As no one has actually ridden to the rescue in 2013, I'm surprised how well things are going!
    Aressel likes this.
  13.    #33  
    I've decided to do another poll thread later in 2015, but one year later, I'm adding my current impressions. This is not based on any figures - I'll try to do that research for a new thread.

So, I'd say nothing much has happened. Samsung's sales are down significantly & Apple's are up (especially in China). Apple's doing very well financially, but Android is still the system with the widest user-base so Google must be benefitting, even if the manufacturers are on slim margins.

Two small surprises are that Blackberry seems to be hanging on and Windows Phone still seems to be declining (though if windows 10 is a success and integrates well with the phone there could be a bit of a turnaround there).

I think FFOS may be on the verge of the mainstream and may be a serious option in new markets, but I'm not sure it's there yet. I assume all maemo development is going into Sailfish, who have announced a tablet - so I assume they're doing OK. If what is left of Nokia (who also announced a tablet) should decide to drop Android, I'd say there were significant historical & geographical reasons for Jolla to join with them.

I've demoted Tizen and Ubuntu as I'm not sure there are actual devices available yet other than for development. It seems Samsung is going the LG route and putting Tizen on TVs, but I'm just going to focus on mobile. I'm not clear if a phone has actually been released or if it can be installed on an exisitng device, so maybe it should technically be hobbyist? Symbian actually received a homebrew firmware update in December, so I'm calling it enthusiast, though it might well be hobbyist. So, webOS... more stuff has broken, but a surprising amount has been fixed, even upgraded (e.g. C+DAV). Items that are developed for both Legacy and LuneOS will help create a bridge - supporting the current user base and adding to the new version as it acquires capability for daily use. TV's aside, we have seen a webOS watch. It apparently can connect to a mobile service independently of a smartphone. The smaller form factor and new market means there won't be such a significant app gap and if LG make the thing communicate with their Android phones and webOS TVs (as well as Audis) then I predict it will make it to market. So I'm saying webOS is still an enthusiast OS, though without LuneOS and LG to maintain interest, it would be on the way to being a hobbyist's toy.

5. (Dominant) Android
    4.5 iOS - because it makes more money from a smaller share of the market and is way ahead of the rest.
    4. (Mainstream) BB10 (Surviving), Windows Phone (Dwindling)
    3. (Optional) Firefox, Sailfish
    2. (Enthusiast) webOS, Tizen, Ubuntu, Symbian (I think it was open sourced last time I looked)
    1. (Hobbyist) PalmOS (assumed to be usable and available for industrial uses from Access)
    0. (Dead) Windows Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12