Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    In the WebOS Internals developer group, those who do stuff get to make the decisions. Want to be a leader? Go and lead something and people will follow.

I would recommend a user group work in the same way...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Actually, I believe there is potentially a deeper and 'alternate' Truth held in a piece of Graffitti that I once saw splattered on the brick wall of a London backstreet. It was simply:

"If The People Lead, then the leaders will Follow!"

In today's Global mess, tech or otherwise, this seems to be one of the seriously few viable options remaining to 'us'!
    Whom do we 'The People' wish to influence.. and how? LG? PIC? Developers?

But I digress. As a recent webOS 'enthusiast', please add me in.
    As a keen observer, I can hopefully at least offer some occaisional & valid input here.

A great incentive!
    Thank you.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 06/04/2013 at 11:51 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Preemptive and sspirall like this.
  3.    #23  
    So the debate gets more interesting when I shut up for a bit! ;-)

RumoredNow:
    That's why you are in charge right now. It's your idea and others are looking to you for direction/decision.
    While I accept your reasoning as far as the project of 'Starting a webOS user group' goes, I'm not looking to be the leader here & I'm not sure that leaders are required at least at first. Right now, I just have a list of user names and am trying to keep the debate moving.

When I first started posting on this subject, I was aware (as noted by mattmers), that there would be a tendency for others to comment without engagement. I've said before that I have no master plan (though obviously, I have some ideas) & if I showed up with one there might be a bit of enthusiasm (or not!) before it vanished into the archives of webOSnation. As the status report got MUCH bigger, accurate and useful thanks to contributions from posters, my hope is that the expertise of members of this forum shape this project and in doing so make some commitment to the agenda they agree.

My general thoughts as to the the final shape of a group is that it would at minimum be a useful focus group with cogent opinions on webOS that might be consulted by industry. Furthermore, it could be a vocal pressure group with sufficient members to have some influence and ultimately, given the current userbase and small numbers of players in the webOS arena, it might become a de facto governing body similar to the Linux Foundation (at least for Open webOS and associated projects).

Any of the above requires user buy in and although size may bring the need for committees or project groups, I think there should be a principle that every member is able make a clearly argued and practical proposal for a policy or project and can have one vote on each proposal. Sometimes, just sending the form email, signing a petition or voting on the policy is enough commitment, so I tend towards bradmeister1's position here.

We have already seen that people are quite capable of initiating their own projects without an 'umbrella organisation', but as Buddy1969 suggests in 1), an informational, communication & coordination point could help could help individuals and groups make better progress with their ideas.

Thanks for keeping the debate polite & respectful. Buddy1969, rwhitby and Mutoidi have been added to the contact list.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/04/2013 at 12:35 PM.
    I'm playing devil advocate here so please do not stone me...
    What can the user group do effectively, more than what the webos internal folks have done?
    a. Can they interface with HP / LG better?
    b. Can they provide additional open source work, add-on to open webos so that at least it can get onto a phone - say Gnex?
    c. Can they be like a group of venture capitalist who can rouse up some 'real funds' to 'buy' time with developers to improve open webos?
    d. Can they provide some platform to engage LG -- HP for some directions on open os?
    e. Can they bring in a very technically strong group of developers, visionaries, hackers who can do what linus did for linux, and do the same for open webos?

let me know if the above questions are too direct...but IF the guys at webos ports , have their challenges in getting anything going quickly with open webos -- whether it be technical, beuracratic, process or pure financial- and cannot get open webos into 1.0 to 1.5 with a working phone, some basic synergy connectivity, performance and integrating with HP profile..then the rest of us laymen..cannot do much but moral support..

My thoughts on this.. a group of enthustiastic and technically strong firmware, machine, java, mobile coders - and I mean Linus level kinda guys..and say some seed funding then we might see open os version 1.5 - 2.0...
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    I'm playing devil advocate here so please do not stone me...
    You won't get stoned. ;-)
    What can the user group do effectively, more than what the webos internal folks have done?
    a. Can they interface with HP / LG better?
    If we properly represent the community as a whole & agree an agenda, then we can present a united front to those companies, so... possibly.
    b. Can they provide additional open source work, add-on to open webos so that at least it can get onto a phone - say Gnex?
    By reaching out to the whole community, it's again possible that additional talent could be focused here, even if it's to handle simple fixes, documentation, publicity etc. - Leaving the Ports team to focus on the hard stuff.
    c. Can they be like a group of venture capitalist who can rouse up some 'real funds' to 'buy' time with developers to improve open webos?
    I'd say unlikely - we'd continue to rely on the kind of donations the community can provide. If a usable product emerges, then members could shop it around and try to get interest, but frankly, the door is open now and no one I know of is walking in...
    d. Can they provide some platform to engage LG -- HP for some directions on open os?
    See a). Whether this will have any stronger influence on them is again unlikely. I doubt the community is large enough to influence commercial decisions at this stage. Bit if LG considers a webOS phone, whose input might they be interested in?
    e. Can they bring in a very technically strong group of developers, visionaries, hackers who can do what linus did for linux, and do the same for open webos?
    Now? No. But a usable port on Gnex might interest those on xdadevelopers for instance. My understanding is that webOS is a more complete implementation of Linux, it's still generally agreed to have a better interface than Android and if it comes with PIC's ACL for open webOS, it could start to look like a viable proposition that the group could promote.
    let me know if the above questions are too direct...but IF the guys at webos ports , have their challenges in getting anything going quickly with open webos -- whether it be technical, beuracratic, process or pure financial- and cannot get open webos into 1.0 to 1.5 with a working phone, some basic synergy connectivity, performance and integrating with HP profile..then the rest of us laymen..cannot do much but moral support..

My thoughts on this.. a group of enthustiastic and technically strong firmware, machine, java, mobile coders - and I mean Linus level kinda guys..and say some seed funding then we might see open os version 1.5 - 2.0...
    You questions are entirely valid. A user group may ultimately offer nothing but moral support and the existence of one may turn out to be irrelevant to the success or failure of webOS. But at this point, the existing userbase is what keeps webOS from becoming a hobbyist OS (see here: webOS Status Report )- one that would be very hard to relaunch given it's history (and that also makes it 'old news'). That user base is dwindling and will decrease faster if the app cataloge isn't fixed in some way, so this idea is something of a last ditch effort to marshall all the resources of the community in a united direction.

Thanks for you input. I have added you to our contact list.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/05/2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #26  
    There is a new article on the front page of webOSnation. It's the first for a week & the first to be relevant to webOS for almost a month. May I politely suggest that we all go and put some nice comments there about Adam Marks and the developers of the email megamix patch (Momouton and anseld1986)?

Customize Compose Email view options with Email Mega Mix patch | webOS Nation
  7.    #27  
    I was hoping to see a few more postings here, but if I am to be the project leader for the moment, I propose this time table for getting the show on the road and hopefully focusing minds. Votes are made at weekends in the hope that people have more free time then (though voting itself will be easy). Does anyone have a better idea for a timeline?

[EDIT: In the light of the App Catalogue update, there is less urgency, so this timetable will be revised]

June 2013
    08-09 June - vote on The Role of a webOS user group
    -----
    15 June - vote on current communication systems
    16 June - vote on temporary and future voting systems
    -----
    22 June - vote on organisation & administration
    23 June - Request for General Policy proposals.
    -----
    29-30 June - vote on Policy proposals.
    -----
    (June/July Possible attempt to communicate directly with HP to gain clarity on what they propose to do?)
    July 2013
    -----
    July 1st - 23rd Membership drive.
    07 July Membership report & vote on any proposals
    -----
    13-14 July Membership report & vote on any proposals
    -----
    20-21 July Membership report & vote on response to HP and the 23rd July issue.
    -----
    22-23 July 2013 Depending on whether or not HP fix the certificate issue, any proposed response to this will be put into action.

If HP are going to fix the July 23rd issue, it would be great if they let us know in advance, but if there is silence, perhaps we should try to find out who we can talk to in the hope of getting an answer.

Please note: I hope there will be enough interest and momentum to get a user group going, but if there seems to be no interest and depending on events, I may stop trying after 23rd July.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/13/2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
    RumoredNow and Jimbode like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

You questions are entirely valid. A user group may ultimately offer nothing but moral support and the existence of one may turn out to be irrelevant to the success or failure of webOS. But at this point, the existing userbase is what keeps webOS from becoming a hobbyist OS (see here: webOS Status Report )- one that would be very hard to relaunch given it's history (and that also makes it 'old news'). That user base is dwindling and will decrease faster if the app cataloge isn't fixed in some way, so this idea is something of a last ditch effort to marshall all the resources of the community in a united direction.

AFAIC, a "user group" is something to be composed of or something to work for/with "users". It's not an "investors group". It's not a "development group".

It's a "user group".

Seeing as this thread popped up in the wake and aftermath of MobileNations halve turning their backs on webOS, I see this initiative as something to collect the shards and pieces of WebOS-fandom together and put it under a common hat, so that we as WebOS fans are not so much dependent on website-hosters that seem to have forgotten about WebOS.

As such, I would recommend not to expect too much.

If you really wanna do something interesting that puts public interest back towards the platform, then I'ld suggest a flashmob, i.e. in front of the HP (or LG) central. I just don't think, you'll be getting enough people to do it, but it would be nice, if suddenly a hoarde of people pull their Pres and Touchpads and wave it around, canting "We want WebOS back" or something alike ...

Other than that, I don't see what weight we, the community can put publicly on HP or LG to create something. We are too few to be of any commercial impact and even if LG would bring out a WebOS phone that every die hard fan buys, it would be highly doubtful that they earn a sh*tload of cash with it.

So other than what the guys and gals (are there any gals?) of the Ports team are doing, all we can do is collect information, distribute it, help fellow WebOS-ers and provide moral support ... oh yes, and donate.

So ... flashmob. Does that sound nice?
    Another idea would be a "flashmob" where every WebOS fan buys an app from the AppCatalog at a certain time on a certain day, to put some heat on the services and signal a "we still live" to HP. That's a kind of flashmob too, I guess. Might even be more effective if it was a HP app

Well, so far my "out of the box" ideas.

As for your Org. and Admin. procedere, dear preemptive: thanks for investing so much time and trying to move something. I am on holiday in Scotland for the next weeks, so I won't be able to follow all the updates in the next time, but I am curious as to what comes of it.

All the best,
    Buddy
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Remy X and sspirall like this.
  9.    #29  
    Happy webOS day!

Apparently, HP are issuing a fix, so there's less urgency now. Shall I ease off the timetable?
    As for the mechanism or how of the group, seems to me there's a recurring theme already. Leveraging the power of the forum to trim the "wall of text," this is what I'm reading:

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you could start a yahoo group as another suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I earlier proposed using the social group format already set up on the site...

2 A) Internal Communication - ...a social group ...is here, can be made private from non participants and is very expandable.
    2 B) External communications - ... webOS Nation threads ... and "Evangelicals" who spread the word outside this board (be it via blog or on other boards).
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    RumoredNow's idea of forum groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    ...WebOS devices ...A Forum, maybe Tapatalk-enabled
    All of these point to a forum. Congratulations! You're using the best d*** webOS forum on the planet as you read this. If RumoredNow can give guidance on how to use groups to help keep this particular extra-enthusiastic enthusiast splinter cell organized, that's great.

Then there's still the motivation or why? As I parse this and other threads looking for this point, I hear a lot of vague, scattered goals and no clear picture.

"We want to stir interest? We want to have a way to centralize the voice? We want a place where we can gather and work together on [something]?"

Most of this sounds like creating a forum for webOS fans. We're already using one, though perhaps not as effectively as some would like? I dunno, maybe I still don't follow what a User Group is really about and that's a point of discussion. But I liked this:

What can the user group do effectively, more than what the webos internal folks [and the webOSNations community in general] have done...?
    The answer to this still isn't clear to me, but that's the right question and daexpression had good, specific suggestions.

Then it just seems like projects though. Do we need anything fancy (technically or organizationally) to complete projects other than a semi-public corner of the forum we can draw people into and people motivated to see them through? </abrasive>
    Preemptive and Remy X like this.
    Churning over the hows and whys, here's my take on some concise, specific goals and whats:

1. Forum - For organization and discussion

As stated in my previous post, it sounds to me like the existing forums already provide ample communication. Some organization per RumoredNow's suggestion may help. Live group chats could certainly be organized over IRC when needed to work on a task. All things considered though, the forum is a nice balance, is public, and keeps an easily searchable record.

2. From the Forums, By the Forums (Global Edition)

This would serve many purposes and is a spin on Preemptive's newsletter and webOS Status Report ideas. See if Kessler is open to having a member of the community, supported and aided by the community, create a webOSNation article post a la the old "From the Forums" that does the global rounds.

webOS enthusiasts, as a Nation and regardless of nationality, have been sent to live in the forums now. This (biweekly, monthly?) article would summarize what's going on in the Global webOS Nation. This can include news on homebrew apps, OWOS, PIC... whatever!

Time should also be taken to try and scrape the other major international forums as well, maybe see how NIN and Chomper are doing, etc. Then this has the added advantage of hopefully attracting members of other forums to a centralized location or at least keeping in touch. The article should also include direct links to a Google Translate for sister sites' langauges.

Ideally, if a lot of creative English is used, a ghost page that expresses the meaning without culturally specific language or word choices could also be written to feed to Translate. (e.g. "That dude inked a wall of text" vs. "That person wrote too much.") Maybe that would help the not-so-creative universal translator.

This posting should be a
      concise summary of anything interesting, including updates on old projects and calls for new ones.

3. WOSI Wiki Maintenance

It's the Palm Pre's 4th birthday today and we still have people asking questions about the webOS Doctor in the forums! Sometimes issues like that arise because small, undocumented things change. Sometimes it's because instructions are a little overly complex.

So maybe a few people could give WOSI a hand on updating the wiki pages. They could use a little clean up and restructuring. Break some of the longer stuff up into linked subpages so that it's easier to point to specific steps. Update it with some of the changing tides, like today's Certificate update. Link it all up nicer.

I think just those three suggestions would be a great start on some of the goals I'm hearing mentioned. They each can stand on their own feet but really would work best if orchestrated. They sound to me like the embodiment of what this User Group wants to accomplish at first, and this User Group would be perfect to tie them together, IMHO.

(Although really, no lack of membership or committee is stopping anyone from grabbing any of these and jumping right in!)
    Last edited by ananimus; 06/07/2013 at 12:57 AM.
  12.    #32  
    Hi ananimus,

In considering if there was any point to a user group, you have given it some thought and come up with three excellent ideas. I think these should be taken forward.

Here is a thread about a new device: What if we create new WebOS device? It is pointless & every reply on it is politely telling that to the OP. (so far, as of today). But what if the discussion continues into an analysis of the hardware required for OwOS, leading to a maintained list of possible targets? What if this post, The perfect WebOS phone was taken forward to the point where it was an agreed, usable specification or even blueprint - the 'Dream phone' of the community. What if the current missing parts of OwOS were listed along with, The webOS Wish List and a vote taken so there was a ranked /prioritised feature list available to every developer who wanted to tackle a project? That level of discussion & effort could amount to a business plan that could be presented to a VC. I'm not saying funding would be automatic, just that a user group could provide enough focus and unification of effort to create the possibilty.

Back to reality: I use the above to show how practical discussion & combined efforts might be stronger than hot-air and how at least an overview might help unite & coordinate the already excellent individual and small group projects into a greater whole. Your proposals would certainly be a good first step. No.3 is similar to a thought I had of a 'user guide' that lays out the features of webOS and at least links to the information already out there for modding, maintenance, best apps, etc.

I'm glad the HP fix has created a bit more time for discussion rather than a race to react to the deadline.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/07/2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typos, always typos!
    Remy X likes this.
  13.    #33  
    AFAIC, a "user group" is something to be composed of or something to work for/with "users". It's not an "investors group". It's not a "development group".

It's a "user group".
    I'm saying user group in a broad sense to mean ALL users of webOS: General, app maker, patcher, developer, 'porter'. Such a group would probably just offer information and coordination, but there's no reason why development couldn't take place within the group itself. I would also include any non-user who was 'Pro-webOS', this might be ex-users, the interested and even investors...

Seeing as this thread popped up in the wake and aftermath of MobileNations halve turning their backs on webOS, I see this initiative as something to collect the shards and pieces of WebOS-fandom together and put it under a common hat, so that we as WebOS fans are not so much dependent on website-hosters that seem to have forgotten about WebOS.

As such, I would recommend not to expect too much.
    Agreed, though I feel webOSnation has been demoted rather than rejected. The power of a user group would derive from membership numbers and the level of engagement of the membership so... draw your own conclusions as to the possibilities!
    What i suggest is the following - two groups.

1. User group. This group is the 'rara' team. Purpose is to go around forums. If possible other countries, where there might be developers - who because of language barrier or because they do not know about www.webosnations are not reached out. We know about chomper, and I believe in this whole world there ought to be a handful of good hackers/ developers (besides those in PIC) who can add code to OWS. When they find such developers through evangelism-- route them to the next group.

2. Cowboy Developer group. I think with this group, and the immaturity of OWS, it's all about getting key functionality working. Any developers in this group need to be nimble and conquer by breaking the pieces into smaller bite sizes. And because it is made of smaller 'cells' of developers of 2-3, the organization is flat and thus things can move faster.
    e.g Can we get ows on install to be recognized by Catalog / and this is by default without having to install impostah (I like impostah, but for most users..it's all about installation and using it)

This group I think might be better off running independantly of PIC developers, and the reason I say this is not for any reason but any potential NDAs that the current PIC team might be liable for. Let go of this umblical chord, and all the responsibilities and focus on getting good code into the open source OWS.
    IF the code is from say "android" then we ensure it can work with ows, and at the same time give credit in the code where it's due to the original author.

We do not need fancy stuff at this moment but the key ones i can think of.
    a. catalog
    b. phone call functionality (even if we 'duplicate' from android the UI etc)
    c. graphics acceleration for cards.
    d. email. (able to connect to gmail, pop3, yahoo, ms exchange)
    e. synergy - is at this point difficult but maybe focus on the contacts -and email.

When the code is build in - then pass the code to the user group for level 2 testers, after the developers have tested it.

just my 2 cents.
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    @daexpression,

+1000 on "Cowboy Developers".

I do disagree on some technicalities though. What we need is a "web code" team (HTML, CSS, Javascript) and a compiled code team (C, C++). The skillsets are quite different, and the two won't need to interact 2/3 of the time.

Using Android bits in the kernel and the parts that interface with drivers (i.e. the graphics compositor) is definitely acceptable, but bringing in their entire system to use their phone app is just too much hassle, and Android will end up displacing webOS. It'll take 1/10th of the time to just write a native webOS phone app

But overall, i agree with the logic. We need a Developer Relations team and a "fast sloppy code" team to aid in making OwOS usable enough to write apps for. But at the same time, i should probably download the x86 emulator version of it, and start building stuff that's not architecture-dependant (the phone app UI, etc). No this is not a promise, i'm just talking about downloading the x86 image, and then i'll go from there, testing what's available and what isn't
  16.    #36  
    Hi,

I haven't forgotten or abandoned this, I'm not sure if I have the time right now, but I will try to put some effort into pushing things along a bit further.

The catalogue save, the webOS-Ports effort (which seems in better shape than expected) & the Enyo2 app catalogue all suggest that a bit of concerted effort might bear fruit in the future.

webOS Status Report
    Alan Morford likes this.
    I'll just keep it short...count me in on the user group idea. Anything to help webOS and the community.
  18.    #38  
    I'm bumping this thread - almost 4 years later!

I'm a bit surprised that webOS is still going. Every now and again someone pops up and fixes something or patches an app and I think, "hey, we can still sync with open services, use newer certificates, get synergy with Google,..." etc.

It may be that legacy webOS will never actually die, but simply drift further into obscurity. But if stuff like 3G gets shut down in favour of LTE/4G then that will be the end for the phones.

I found myself thinking, "Who is in charge of webOS?".
    • It's not HP.
    • LG are not going to ride to our rescue.
    • The webOS-Internals site is dormant and a bit broken.
    • webOS Ports are doing great work building a future that is LuneOS, but progress is slow and it's still not ready. They are also too busy to worry about Legacy webOS (though obviously, there is some cross-over of interest).

So it may as well be us.

Legacy webOS is definitely dying - however slowly. But it remains mostly functional and available on some fairly nice hardware, given it's age. If some mythical kill-switch was thrown tomorrow, there would be a negative effect on LuneOS because any system needs a core of users and developers to avoid stagnation. Though new developers may drift in from other projects (and now perhaps via Halium - which may have an incidental role in uniting obscure mobile OSes), the primarily interested users and developers are current and former legacy webOS users. There are still new and returning users popping up here to find out how to keep their devices running.

It may be possible to give the legacy system a massive update for 2017, but in reality, there's little reason for anyone to put in so much effort and time for such a small group of users and if there are such people, they should be working on LuneOS. The best we can hope for are incremental fixes and patches and the occasional bit of luck we seem to have had so far when show-stopping bugs get tackled.

My proposal is simple. You can read the preceeding thread for ideas, but I suggest we start a chat room and have an online meeting once each month at a time most convenient for those who want to join in (likely a weekend).

An hour should be enough for most meetings, but maybe double that for the first one. Logs or proposals will be published on this forum.

We discuss the state of legacy webOS, what we might do and do what we can and / or invite others to help on our list of proposed projects.

If you want to post here, I'd be interested in suggestions for good chat room sites. I note there is a mostly dormant webOS IRC channel - don't know if that could be used... You could also mention your timezone for scheduling purposes. I propose a meeting sometime on a weekend this month (August). Open to all suggestions for details and topics, but I guess we will start with general discussion of "The state of Legacy webOS".
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/04/2017 at 01:42 PM.
    I'm not spending a lot of time on legacy webOS development anymore, since my time is extremely limited with 2 small kids, but still active on LuneOS trying to move that forward. Some things could be used in both projects. I have quite some knowledge on the various bits of the system, so I'm happy to join in, share knowledge and create possible synergies. I'm still using webOS as my daily driver on Pre 3 and Touchpad (4G) :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm bumping this thread - almost 4 years later!

I'm a bit surprised that webOS is still going. Every now and again someone pops up and fixes something or patches an app and I think, "hey, we can still sync with open services, use newer certificates, get synergy with Google,..." etc.

It may be that legacy webOS will never actually die, but simply drift further into obscurity. But if stuff like 3G gets shut down in favour of LTE/4G then that will be the end for the phones.

I found myself thinking, "Who is in charge of webOS?".
    • It's not HP.
    • LG are not going to ride to our rescue.
    • The webOS-Internals site is dormant and a bit broken.
    • webOS Ports are doing great work building a future that is LuneOS, but progress is slow and it's still not ready. They are also too busy to worry about Legacy webOS (though obviously, there is some cross-over of interest).

So it may as well be us.

Legacy webOS is definitely dying - however slowly. But it remains mostly functional and available on some fairly nice hardware, given it's age. If some mythical kill-switch was thrown tomorrow, there would be a negative effect on LuneOS because any system needs a core of users and developers to avoid stagnation. Though new developers may drift in from other projects (and now perhaps via Halium - which may have an incidental role in uniting obscure mobile OSes), the primarily interested users and developers are current and former legacy webOS users. There are still new and returning users popping up here to find out how to keep their devices running.

It may be possible to give the legacy system a massive update for 2017, but in reality, there's little reason for anyone to put in so much effort and time for such a small group of users and if there are such people, they should be working on LuneOS. The best we can hope for are incremental fixes and patches and the occasional bit of luck we seem to have had so far when show-stopping bugs get tackled.

My proposal is simple. You can read the preceeding thread for ideas, but I suggest we start a chat room and have an online meeting once each month at a time most convenient for those who want to join in (likely a weekend).

An hour should be enough for most meetings, but maybe double that for the first one. Logs or proposals will be published on this forum.

We discuss the state of legacy webOS, what we might do and do what we can and / or invite others to help on our list of proposed projects.

If you want to post here, I'd be interested in suggestions for good chat room sites. I note there is a mostly dormant webOS IRC channel - don't know if that could be used... You could also mention your timezone for scheduling purposes. I propose a meeting sometime on a weekend this month (August). Open to all suggestions for details and topics, but I guess we will start with general discussion of "The state of Legacy webOS".
    I'd be interested in participating. I use my Pre3 as a main device every once in a while. I'm in the Pacific time zone.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast