Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Riiight... My assumption / intention is for the report to be informative and useful to the average user. Open webOS doesn't exactly... it isn't available on a device in a usable condition (i.e. 'Daily Driver'). Ports is a fork of OwOS - nearer to a usable state as it progresses towards the two main targets. It is the candidate most likely to end up in the hands of users. The Open webOS ISIS browser has never been in the hands of the general user and wasn't brought to legacy devices. The QT5-Webkit direction is a recent announcement and it's delivery will most likely be on webOS-Ports. Both projects are called ISIS, both developed primarily by D. Kirker. I'm going with the one that seems most likely to be delivered & where his efforts appear to be focused.
    From what I understood, what D. Kirker does with "ISIS" (no matter if the old one or the QT5 one) is target at the legacy devices, most probably Touchpad. That's just what I wanted to say.

2. Are LG developing legacy webOS, Open webOS or a mixture of both or a fork or what?
    LG is developing Open webOS. Webos-Ports is developing a fork from Open webOS (and now quite incompatible, at least on the UI side. But that's probably not bad, because TVs and Phones will be quite a difference, right? ).
    There is currently nobody else, I know of, that works on Open webOS versions.

3. Maybe connected to 2. Is OwOS being developed towards a device? (TV?) I know it can be loaded on a PC, but it's not a desktop OS. What is the direction/purpose of it's development? Is it simply a template for porting efforts?
    Currently the only half official is the development towards TVs. There are a lot of rumors about everything... and it would make sense for a company that distributes that many devices to try the OS on other devices, too... but nothing in that way happened in the code. Code towards the TV stuff is visible at some places.

Only porting efforts to existing devices come from the community, currently. At least nothing leaked from LG in that direction.
    Preemptive likes this.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    From what I understood, what D. Kirker does with "ISIS" (no matter if the old one or the QT5 one) is target at the legacy devices, most probably Touchpad. That's just what I wanted to say.
    Yes, Touchpad seems possible due to the 3.0.5 / Open similarity, but I get the impression that's a possible side benefit to a Ports targeted project.
    Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?

LG is developing Open webOS. Webos-Ports is developing a fork from Open webOS (and now quite incompatible, at least on the UI side. But that's probably not bad, because TVs and Phones will be quite a difference, right? ).
    There is currently nobody else, I know of, that works on Open webOS versions.
    Hmmm... so using Open source, LG don't really need to licence the rights to legacy, but then again, I suppose it covers then to use any code available and brings cooperation from HP. A modern TV is basically a big tablet...

Currently the only half official is the development towards TVs. There are a lot of rumors about everything... and it would make sense for a company that distributes that many devices to try the OS on other devices, too... but nothing in that way happened in the code. Code towards the TV stuff is visible at some places.

Only porting efforts to existing devices come from the community, currently. At least nothing leaked from LG in that direction.
    In a way, it's actually encouraging that the port to mobile is entirely a community effort. If it happens, it will be difficult to get it 'back in the box'. I'm also curious to see how Cyanogenmod fare. I think their first project is an easy installer and that could open some gates for porting efforts.
  3.    #163  
    Does anyone think I should add a section on hardware? It's not a changing situation at the moment and I'm not sure what I could add to existing information. The only thing I can think of is a definitive list of every device and variant. If such a list already exists, I could link to it or make a list that links to the specs of each device...

I don't want to bloat just for the sake of it.
  4.    #164  
    So, I've written a first 'Status Report Article' on pivotCE.

About: pivotCE | pivotCE

It's about pivotCE itself. As I write more I'll link the headings in the first post to them. Hopefully, at some point there will be a relatively complete document I can put together.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/03/2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo
    Nicely done. I really hadn't taken a look at it, because I felt like I was pretty well aware of current webOS happenings. Just wanted to tip my hat to those contributing to pivot-ce.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    pattyland likes this.
    Yes, I like pivotCE and follow it via RSS.
    pattyland and Alan Morford like this.
  7.    #168  
    Updated for recent develoments from LG, PIC/OM & webOS-Internals.

Exciting! ;-)
  8.    #169  
    It seems webOS-blog.de is active (in German) and attending CES! I have added it to the report.
    pattyland likes this.
  9.    #170  
    I just had a quick review of some links.

WebOS101 is timing out. Hopefully this will be fixed. Does anyone know who's behind this site? Is it Roy Sutton?
    Edit: This is now working again.

webOS Boston is redirecting to a russian site which is being flagged as malware for me. I removed the link. Again, if anyone knows who was behind it... I will remove it if the situation continues. UPDATE: I emailed the listed site owner and received no response. This list item was removed on the 11th of February 2014. A shame - I think there was some useful material there.

webos-blog has a report from CES for any German speakers (the editor attended).

webOS Center is back to life for the first time since 2012 with CES webOS TV news.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/11/2014 at 10:52 AM.
  10.    #171  
    I saw this tweeted:

Is webOS dead yet?

...so I added it. You'll have to click the link to find the answer! ;-)
    Alan Morford likes this.
  11.    #172  
    webOS24 has issued a beta for testing. The Remember The Milk plugin now has 2 - way sync.

webos24.net Synergy Milk

Also, a bit late in spotting an update to Ares at the start of the year: 0.2.9. 0.2.11 is due at the end of the month!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/20/2014 at 05:41 AM.
    webOS24 has issued a beta for testing. The Remember The Milk plugin now has 2 - way sync.

webos24.net Synergy Milk

Also, a bit late in spotting an update to Ares at the start of the year: 0.2.9. 0.2.11 is due at the end of the month!
    Excuse my ignorance. To serve these app?

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
  13.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance. To serve these app?

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
    I'm afraid I don't know what you are asking.

Information and links are available on the first post here: webOS Status Report

webOS24 has produced a plugin for the webOS tasks app (Telephone only) which synchronises with https://www.rememberthemilk.com/?hl=es

Ares is a Graphical Integrated Development Environment for Enyo apps
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Does anyone think I should add a section on hardware? It's not a changing situation at the moment and I'm not sure what I could add to existing information. The only thing I can think of is a definitive list of every device and variant. If such a list already exists, I could link to it or make a list that links to the specs of each device...

I don't want to bloat just for the sake of it.
    A hardware section isn't necessary yet.
    I posted a link to a video made by LG on the webOS TV section but will repost here. It regards the future of webOS at least in the LG TV world. (LG TV is different division than LG phone)

At time 5:20 is the "what is LG's plan for webos" via translator. webos will be core device connected all smart appliances in house. "...we plan to implement this os in other devices". So first official statement that LG smart tv will be core of the smart devices in house. Probably only LG smart devices will talk to each other in the beginning but somewhere I've read LG is participating in a open source standard for connecting smart devices from different manufacturers.
  15.    #176  
    Hi,

An update to Ares yesterday.
    Our Ares2 version 0.2.11 is released today. - Enyo

UPDATE: And Enyo 2.4 with TV UI elements http://blog.enyojs.com/post/75721205...t-and-enyo-2-4
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/05/2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Enyo 2.4
    MAMISHO likes this.
  16.    #177  
    I just added Palm Club from the Netherlands. Any Dutch readers in addition to Herrie?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I just added Palm Club from the Netherlands. Any Dutch readers in addition to Herrie?
    Yup, here's one!

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Preemptive likes this.
  18.    #179  
    I found another forum, PalmQ Online which seems to be active, so I added it.

Feel free to post any updates or new info here that I may have missed. Most entries on the report were contributed by forum members - not me!
  19.    #180  
    I have added news of the connect SDK to the LG webOS section. Legacy and Open webOS are not supported, but the code is open source.

If anyone has definitive information on the version number of LG webOS, I'll fill it in. 1.0 & 4.0 are likely candidates.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast