Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes
  1.    #21  
    I added the Open webOS Project as a separate item. I'm not 100% sure on status. I think the first release was 'complete' but limited as it wasn't for any particular hardware, so radios, gps, graphics etc all require work. It depends on your definition of complete I suppose. Any experts on this, feel free to correct errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I wonder how granular the information is. Will there be a figure for this site specifically or mobile nations as a whole?
    TBH, I can't even get it to focus solely on the forums. I don't think it gets to the very detailed level you guys are discussing. Thought maybe you smart blokes might have a better run at it. Google had a nice site traffic page before, but now it seems they've changed the page layout and I can't find it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    And yes, maybe I misinterpreted a joke but you're not the first one to make that joke around here in such a short period of time so it's only natural for me to not like it anymore.
    Well, my apologies for my part, Vistaus. My teasing kitty was also meant only in good spirit, and with you being a respected member of the community I didn't think you'd take it so much to heart. It was unfair of me though. Your optimism and positive thinking are important, maybe even rubbing off a bit every once in a while. Glad you're here to help keep things going in the right direction!
    Don't forget Ares 2.0 status
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    To finally join in on the discussion here, I'd like add to what was already said on the demographics/userbase...

It's like a spectrum, with the outermost edge being mobile device users who have never used webOS but instantly like it when they do, then the most passive of webOS fans who have liked the experience, but no longer own a webOS device because their wireless carrier doesn't offer a brand new, next gen subsidized webOS device, so they would only buy one if it appeared in those particular circumstances.

The next category after this would be the same as the previous, except that they have preware and may sometimes read webOS related postings online. The fourth may be registered on this (or a competing) forum but mostly lurking, but are quite likely to own an unlocked webOS phone. Then there's us here who participate and don't mind paying $500 for a brand now unlocked phone to run Open webOS on in the future.

Of course, my categories here are overly simplistic, and the Touchpad tends to muddle the picture a little. There are people who owned the Pre- and hated it, people who like myself have bought the touchpad not because of the low price, but because they already own a webOS phone. People who like webOS but have to use another phone due to work/business/apps...

I remember someone here quoting Enda, saying that there are ~500,000 active palm profiles... Then you have the Alexa statistics and random snapshots of daily forum visitors, as well as the kickstarter participants.

So off the top of my head, I'd say there's about 5,000 or so, users/fans/ participants we can count on. My guess is unscientific, but you can probably see how I arrived at this conclusion. We have users we can reach, and then there are those like the first two categories, that can only be reached through a corporate effort, by offering a carrier subsidized webOS phone with built-in android app support.

I'm still in a bit of a nonverbal mode brain-wise, much to my disappointment, but I'm still keeping an eye on this conversation and agree with much of what's been said...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Don't forget Ares 2.0 status
    Thanks for your input. If Enyo takes off as an app development framework, then this could also address the 'app gap' issue that is the motivation for the ACL project.

As the Ares development software is of interest to you, perhaps you could supply some information about it and Enyo? I basically know that it is available and at version 2.0. I'll add that much until you can update us.
  6.    #26  
    I'm still in a bit of a nonverbal mode brain-wise, much to my disappointment
    Don't worry, there's plenty of time ;-)

Thanks . I've put those figures in. I suspect they are a little high, but there is at least something there that can be refined.

You reminded me of the old petition - which has pretty much stagnated now at 2,134 signatures
    https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

I'd guess most found that from the posting on this site and we should bear in mind that signing a petition takes minimal effort, so perhaps looking at this figure as a maximum is wise. I'll just leave all the figures in for now until someone offers something more definitive - we'll never have an EXACT set of figures, but at least we won't start talking about the 'millions' of webOS users.

Regarding the Touchpad, yes I see there may be a little split in the user base there. Getting less use on average may give a tablet a longer life than a phone, but also some are now full time Android, so knowing how many were made won't give a clear idea of user numbers.

EDIT: Oh, I just got the bit about a competing forum! Is there one? I thought webOSnation was the last one, which makes it easy to find people, but if there IS another forum out there, some contact may be an idea.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/25/2013 at 06:24 PM.
    There was a competing forum, and even if it has died, there are still posts and articles that i have run into when searching about the old Pre- TV commercials featuring the pale Tamara Hope... I may go back and look for the forum/site, but i doubt there's much activity now, considering that there was never anything bigger than PreCentral (this forum)

As for the figures, the active palm profile figures are getting a bit older, and my estimate of 5,000 includes the wives and girlfriends of the more active users, who almost never post and aren't inclined to sign petitions, but none the less, use apps, etc

So if we downgrade my estimate to 3,000, we might as well have the core userbase, since there are people like myself who have not participated in petitions but are likely to buy new hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    There was a competing forum, and even if it has died, there are still posts and articles that i have run into when searching about the old Pre- TV commercials featuring the pale Tamara Hope... I may go back and look for the forum/site, but i doubt there's much activity now, considering that there was never anything bigger than PreCentral (this forum)
    You mean webosroundup maybe? Think they were the next biggest (in NA at least). But they shut it down and closed all the doors, forum included: https://twitter.com/webOSroundup/sta...69793300373504

Oh! I should add there's also http://webos-forums.ru. That's the Russian site where that fellow Nikolay was working on the Android for Pre 3 stuff. Looks like they have a few still kicking over there. And there's at least one Chinese forum somewhere too with folks who have crossed over to PreCentral/webOSNation a few times. Not sure that one was dedicated to webOS exclusively though.
    Remy X likes this.
  9.    #29  
    Hmmm. Yes webosroundup is gone - it just says, "Please come back later"

I may as well add the Russian site...and the Chinese if anyone has an address.

It occurred to me to make a separate list of key people in the community, from app developers up though to maybe those developing the system itself and others not dealing directly with software, but that can wait.

I think the report is close to being complete. Hopefully, people will start offering ideas and opinions on what possible futures for webOS there might be.
    Think the Chinese site was http://bbs.zoopda.com. Found in this old article Just Say is Chinese for webOS voice control | webOS Nation.

Which reminds me also of webOSfrance (webOS et HP TouchPad ), clearly still kicking as they've posted about ACL Kickstarter. Not clear on if they have a forum (?). Ah! A forum, different domain: http://forum.palmpre-france.com/

Are we forgetting any other international brethren?
    Remy X likes this.
  11.    #31  
    I'll add them. It's getting a bit long now!

webOS Brethren...

Are you suggesting that as a group name? ;-) We'll need to get some robes designed.

I can see a panicked employee running into LG's head office:
    "Boss! We gotta problem! The Brethren have gathered outside!"
    ananimus and Remy X like this.
    "Actually, they were strangely unintimidating..."

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY[/YT]
    Preemptive likes this.
  13.    #33  
    The webOS Brethren just can't get the card interface out of their heads.

If these are our best people, it's enough to drive a man to drink!

(Sorry, don't know how to embed that)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/25/2013 at 09:07 PM.
    ananimus likes this.
  14.    #34  
    I was thinking how hilarious it would be to start the first cult based on a mobile operating system, but then I remembered:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ananimus likes this.
    So are we making an official webOS State of Affairs PDF out of this? If so we should Provide it to the other webOS sites.

Also I'll try to get the info on ares 2.0 and enyo
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    So are we making an official webOS State of Affairs PDF out of this? If so we should Provide it to the other webOS sites.
    I don't know. Looking at it, it's nice to see a summary in one place, but some of it is speculation on my part. If someone from webOS Ports (for example) wanted to post about their progress so far, that would be nice. It's been said that the graphics aren't the only hurdle, but even on that point things might have changed. To discover if webOS-forums was the correct name, I put the site through Google translate and saw something about developments in graphics. Wayland? And there's this:
    Wayland preview | Raspberry Pi
    ...which might be useful or irrelevant to the problem.

In short, I think waiting a bit until those who know what they are talking about can correct my errors (as you and others already have), might be the best idea and anyway it's meant as a snapshot to stimulate discussion, not an 'official' document.

Looking at the summary, do you have an opinion on how webOS could or should develop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I was thinking how hilarious it would be to start the first cult based on a mobile operating system, but then I remembered:
    Did you just say cult?

http://forums.webosnation.com/attach...1&d=1369536683
    courtesy of OP9.com (The Cult of the Snuggie*Slanket - operation 9 :: none of the above) "Join the Cult of Comfort while supplies last!"

Instant cult, just add Touchpad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Remy X; 05/25/2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Preemptive and ananimus like this.
    Small but still active community in germany, whichis in parts also active on webosnations: Portal - Nexave Palmforum - Portal - Nexave Palmforum
    Preemptive likes this.
    There was also <warez site name removed> but that died too (no more article updates and forum registrations are closed). Didn't care much about them though since they were distributing IPK's of paid apps.

Regarding to Ares 2.0: it's coming along nicely now. It should've been finished already but it's acutally quite useable nowadays with frequent commits to the Git repository as well.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/12/2013 at 10:44 PM.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Small but still active community in germany, whichis in parts also active on webosnations: Portal - Nexave Palmforum - Portal - Nexave Palmforum
    Dankeschön, gizmo21

Many of the better apps are from Germany. I'll add that link.

It's occurred to me that if the... er, Brethren (sorry, can't resist!) works out, then we might be able to identify a key person at HP and send 2000-3000 polite requests for the root certificate issue to be resolved. As it seems there is a fix in the works, it would be overkill at this point, but there is a month for us to see what happens on this issue and it's just an example of possible community action.

I know Derek Kessler is a Star Trek fan. The TV network tried to cancel the original show after each season due to the small audience. The huge number of letters they received convinced them the figures were wrong and the show lasted three seasons until they worked it out and finally pulled the plug. It wasn't until Star Trek was sold around the world and repeated that it actually got it's large fanbase, so it shows a vocal minority can get results sometimes.

Does anyone have suggestions for organising mechanisms? I suppose we need a membership list, a means of making contact, discussing and of coordinating action. Most, if not all of that could be achieved with the tools on this forum, but maybe there are better methods? Feel free to suggest...
    Remy X likes this.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast