Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Remy X likes this.
  2.    #182  
    Links to other forums were removed by a moderator.

Though I link to Derek Kessler's Palm timeline at the end, the main intent is the current status of the various webOS projects.

There are plenty of discussions of the past here already ;-)

But thanks for the feedback. I'll add your Reddit group.
  3.    #183  
    Updated the webOS-Ports entry to reflect the release name and possible touchpad port.
    Thanks for this great overview !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Links to other forums were removed by a moderator.
    I think we should have links to other forums too.
    (If this is against some forum policy then we should raise that as an issue against the forum owner.)

BTW - I'm missing references to the xda developers and their active forum about HP TouchPad (at least):
    HP TouchPad - xda-developers
    Recently there is this new and great discussion about TPToolbox from jcsullins which easly allows installation of latest Android versions next to the webos installation:
    Touchpad Toolbox - xda-developers
    I wonder why this topic is not hot at webosnation?
  5.    #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Thanks for this great overview !!!

I think we should have links to other forums too.
    (If this is against some forum policy then we should raise that as an issue against the forum owner.)

BTW - I'm missing references to the xda developers and their active forum about HP TouchPad (at least):
    HP TouchPad - xda-developers
    Recently there is this new and great discussion about TPToolbox from jcsullins which easly allows installation of latest Android versions next to the webos installation:
    Touchpad Toolbox - xda-developers
    I wonder why this topic is not hot at webosnation?
    Thanks. You will see from the thread that most of the report was filled out by forum members - I just organised the information. These days it is mainly updates rather than new entries, but I am glad how it has turned out and it's always nice to scan through it occasionally just to see how much is going on with this 'zombie' OS.

Posting links to other webOS news sites & forums on webOS Nation is officially frowned upon as they are understandably reluctant to push traffic to competing sites. However, a year has passed since the last news story was published here. You may have spotted that a story from the non-commercial, pivotCE was linked to be commented upon here.

As this is a webOS site and it is a 'webOS Status Report', purely Android projects are not included. ACL & AndroidChroot are included as they integrate with webOS rather than simply replace it.

Certainly CM or Ubuntu for that matter, are interesting and potentially useful options to have. Developments from these projects have aided webOS-Ports. But I'm sure there are many places to discuss them including xda, Android Central and the home websites of these projects.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/22/2014 at 06:45 PM.
    just to see how much is going on with this 'zombie' OS.
    - not sure why you call it 'zombie' OS. webos is not (yet) a mainstream OS - but well - 1 mill webos devices were released in 2009-2011 (by HP & palm) and another 1 mill webos devices were released in 2014 (by LG) - it this is true. Sure - these numbers could and should have been much higher - but so far HP failed to push it higher.

Posting links to other webOS news sites & forums on webOS Nation is officially frowned upon as they are understandably reluctant to push traffic to competing sites.
    Well - I think it does not hurt webosnation traffic if links to other sites exist here. People anyhow can search and find such location and if they like it more they will go there. Links do not make a difference. I would find webosnation forum even more helpful if I find good collections of links here. (That makes me come back here.)

As this is a webOS site and it is a 'webOS Status Report', purely Android projects are not included. ACL & AndroidChroot are included as they integrate with webOS rather than simply replace it.
    So - you are not considering here to add references to HP TouchPad specific forum: HP TouchPad - xda-developers ?

The mentioned TPToolbox from jcsullins allows installation of latest Android versions *next to* the webos installation. So you can run webos in parallel to other OS versions like android. Actually I hope, if available , the TPToolbox will allow installation of openwebos as an alternative to legacy webos.
    I (MartinH@webos) have not run anything else but webos on my HP webos devices. And if I'm going to use TPToolbox then I want to keep webos in parallel to other os.

I don't know xda too good - but the mentioned forum is dedicated to "HP TouchPad" and I think it has all kinds of development (and other) for HP Touchpad. To my understanding xda is *not* bound to Android only. (I admit - I know too little about xda and Android.)
    It's true that xda is not only for android... it even exists longer than android.... xda refers back to Window Mobile (uhm.. that even was renamed once) devices, back in the time where there was neither iPhone nor Android but already smartphones... :-)

In the past they had some issues with copyrights, though... and that probably is the main reason to not allow links to other boards: legal issues, because you become responsible for their content, especially if you link directly to the posts discussing stuff. A moderator would have to check every link to that board, which can be tedious. So it's not a traffic issue.
  8.    #188  
    I had a quick look - it's a lot to trawl through.

As Garfonso said, the xda was a t-mobile device running windows mobile, made by HTC as I recall. 'ROM's are essentially packaged versions of the OS I think. I'm not sure how much programming is being done. Since the demise of windows mobile & the rise of Android (an actual, at least partly, open-source system) the focus is now on customised Android installations. Hacking webOS is relatively easy and can be patched with javascript, but I don't see much sign of this going on at xdadevelopers. For instance, here:
    **Sticky Thread / HP TouchPad Index / Read This First** - xda-developers The list of available webOS ROMs simply lists existing webOS doctors.

If anyone from xda is developing Open webOS, patching Legacy or creating tools enabling webOS install on new devices, then please do post links. My own thread suggesting someone pursues the RaspberryPi port of Open webOS has not had any reply.

Certainly, there are some clever people there - notably JSJSJS $Scullins$, $but$ $will$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $low$-$level$ $tools$ $created$ $to$ $install$ $Android$ $or$ $whatever$ $on$ $the$ $Touchpad$ $aid$ $the$ $installation$ $of$ $webOS$ $onto$ $new$ $devices$?

I'm happy to include links to projects on that forum that either develop versions of webOS or even tools that allow the installation of webOS to other devices. I'm sure liability for links is disclaimed in the TOS of WN, or we could not post any links. But again, this is a report on the status of webOS and it's volume is surely dwarfed by the number of places discussing Android. It would be better to visit those places to learn about Android.

MartinH@webos, I put 'zombie' in quotes, but perhaps I should remove them. I think we have reached the point where many of the features of legacy webOS work only because knowlegable users here are patching it. A fresh out of the box phone could make calls, text and surf the web - maybe not much more. No apps, no sync with the major mail and calendar services (you'd have to stick to the Palm Profile contacts and calendar, but you can add IMAP mail). Would Bing maps work? That the devices are still viable is due to HP's catalogue fix and all the homebrew work. Should we start a recruitment drive over at xda to get people developing or patching webOS?
  9.    #189  
    It's actually geting difficult to keep up with this! I have added the following items:

Name: Eel Mochi
    Description: An Enyo UI library developed by the webOS team at HP. Development was suspended after the purchase by LG and the focus switch to TVs.
    Version: ?
    Recent: Revealed by The Verge, The Enyo team open-sourced the project. It is maintained by webOS-Ports for possible future use.
    Link: Demo Video. Repository

Name: C+DAV connectors
    Description: Open standard Synergy connectors for LuneOS. Also available for Legacy webOS.
    Version: 0.3.11 (beta)
    Recent: (27th June 2014) Released. The generally available testing versions only sync one way for safety.
    Link: C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud

Name: Beyond "Hello World"
    Description: Tutorials from Richard Neff (mojo with links to Enyo).

I've tidied up the list and introduced headings. There are 42 items. Obviously, that includes a few dormant websites, but it's still quite a lot!

If this project takes off, then I will add item 43...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/10/2014 at 05:53 PM.
  10.    #190  
    I just tested the links, and it seems webosmania.com, the only Spanish language webOS site I know of, has gone. It had not been updated since 2012. It seems the domain is still registered until 2015.
    WebOSMania.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools
    Emails to generic addresses at the domain bounce back - no mail box. If anyone can get hold of them...? If not, it seems we will remain at 42 items!
    Looking at those numbers, we're still bigger than the connectedly site.
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Looking at those numbers, we're still bigger than the connectedly site.
    Numbers? Visitor numbers?

Connectedly is a very.... Diverse site. I'd say it lacks the focus of the others that would bring regular readers, but I guess it's there as a 'catch all' for whatever might be the next big thing.

Of course, you yourself are steering webOS Nation towards being the goto site for LG TVs! That's potentially a million+ pairs of eyes! ;-)
  13.    #193  
    I would still very much like to know how many active webOS users there are.

If there are any ideas on establishing this or of calculating a range, I'd be interested.
    Remy X likes this.
  14.    #194  
    The Enyo 2.5.1 release reminded me that I've been a bit slack on updates lately.

I welcome suggestions for updates or comments on the structure of the thing as a whole.
    I would still very much like to know how many active webOS users there are.

If there are any ideas on establishing this or of calculating a range, I'd be interested.
    As long as you and about a dozen others are still active, that's all that matters. Keep rowing the boat while it's afloat. Don't worry how many are hanging on the outside.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  16.    #197  
    I'm afraid I disagree.

The user count is over 260 now, and that's good. More will be better. We are all rowing the same boat.
    I'm afraid I disagree.

The user count is over 260 now, and that's good. More will be better. We are all rowing the same boat.
    I don't include myself as a rower for this particular metaphor. I'm just a grateful passenger. When the real contributors here finally drop their oars, I'm dead in the water.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I suspect that there are more than just 260 on this forum
    "Currently Active Users: 662 (34 members and 628 guests)"
    Preemptive likes this.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast