Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    Recently there has been coverage about the recent HP conference taking place this past week, in which(brain-dead blonzilla) Mrs Whitman took the stage to announce the boring/insipid new products of HP. Stupid HP, has taken the wraps-off of new Android devices that soon will be launched to the markets: HP Slatebook X2. First the most idiotic company in the world released a cheap tablet "HP Slate 7" with mediocre specs that I'm sure it isn't selling not a single unit in the market. CNET reviewed it, and recommended users to skipped that product and buy yourself a Nexus 7 device with a better update possibilities and better support(I agree HP sucks).

    In the conference the knucklehead of CEO Mrs Whitman stated that HP its now creating products that people are looking forward to buying? Really silly Whitman? What Happened to that statement you made about not wanting HP to create me-too products and innovation in HP? Did it all went out the window? Have she ever tried noticing that HP had a great operating system that was created by Palm named WebOS that if they had given it a chance it could have been better fit for HP business than using an OS(like Android) that is too overly crowded in the market and really doesn't stand out pretty much like WebOS did. Could Android save HP, let's be honest no it won't at all......What is HP thinking? To me its looking more reckless decisions going over at HP first they were talking about supporting windows 8, now they talking about Android...could they be smart and stick to one idea only...creating WebOS devices again?

    Even Whitman kept saying that HP adding Android OS into their new line of devices seems is an important part of business of HP and that in the future they will keep creating and using multiple operating systems (okay and where is WebOS?), multiple architectures, and multiple form factors will be manufactured at HP to give customers innovative product that they want to buy. Are customers wanting another me-too same product that they could easily buy from manufacturers like Samsung or Asus or Google themselves? For answer No.

    Its just frustrating seeing HP destroying a great OS like WebOS that could have resulted in greatness if they were willing to put an effort to it, and just give away to another company that rarely appreciates the value and its only purpose is to create appliances and televisions....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Recently there has been coverage about the recent HP conference taking place this past week, in which(brain-dead blonzilla) Mrs Whitman took the stage to announce the boring/insipid new products of HP. Stupid HP, has taken the wraps-off of new Android devices that soon will be launched to the markets: HP Slatebook X2. First the most idiotic company in the world released a cheap tablet "HP Slate 7" with mediocre specs that I'm sure it isn't selling not a single unit in the market. CNET reviewed it, and recommended users to skipped that product and buy yourself a Nexus 7 device with a better update possibilities and better support(I agree HP sucks).

    In the conference the knucklehead of CEO Mrs Whitman stated that HP its now creating products that people are looking forward to buying? Really silly Whitman? What Happened to that statement you made about not wanting HP to create me-too products and innovation in HP? Did it all went out the window? Have she ever tried noticing that HP had a great operating system that was created by Palm named WebOS that if they had given it a chance it could have been better fit for HP business than using an OS(like Android) that is too overly crowded in the market and really doesn't stand out pretty much like WebOS did. Could Android save HP, let's be honest no it won't at all......What is HP thinking? To me its looking more reckless decisions going over at HP first they were talking about supporting windows 8, now they talking about Android...could they be smart and stick to one idea only...creating WebOS devices again?

    Even Whitman kept saying that HP adding Android OS into their new line of devices seems is an important part of business of HP and that in the future they will keep creating and using multiple operating systems (okay and where is WebOS?), multiple architectures, and multiple form factors will be manufactured at HP to give customers innovative product that they want to buy. Are customers wanting another me-too same product that they could easily buy from manufacturers like Samsung or Asus or Google themselves? For answer No.

    Its just frustrating seeing HP destroying a great OS like WebOS that could have resulted in greatness if they were willing to put an effort to it, and just give away to another company that rarely appreciates the value and its only purpose is to create appliances and televisions....
    Hate to burst your bubble on this but:

    1. HP sold webOS to LG. What HP does beyond that point is their own business. If they want to make "me too" mediocre (yes, their tablet is forgetable and not price competitively) Android devices, that's there business.

    2. HP has never really been about innovation. I can't think of one recent product that HP has innovated on, other than webOS devices (which were mostly Palm's creation). HP is like water, they take the path of least resistance. They take the so-called "safe" route in computing. Building a new ecosystem is not considered safe. It is innovative and creative. Both of which HP is not. Making 'me too" products is safe. HP will never be an Apple. Apple is on top of the world because they are innovative and take chances that companies like HP would never dream of. HP will never be Google or a Samsung for the same reason. It is not in their nature and you give them too much credit if you believe it is or should be. Bottom line: if it involves some type of risk, HP will run from it like it was the plague. That is their true nature so we have to take that into account when they make decisions.

    Insulting Meg won't change HP's sheepish culture.
    geekpeter likes this.
  3. #3  
    My happiness is that the HP gonna lost a lot of money and don't gonna sell this tablets, because his image is marked as "tablet killer"...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    geekpeter likes this.
  4. #4  
    Why would you write such a silly blog? HP is not the only reason WebOS failed. That process started with Palm. Is WebOS fantastic? Absolutely... but VHS won out over Beta too. The best solution does not always win. The market decided it. Did HP handle it well? No, they did not, but then again, I don't think any of us would want to accept the end of WebOS.

    HP is embarking on a new strategy that involves multiple tablet OS's, including Android, Windows, and Chrome. That is their choice. I am sure just because of their sheer size and scale, that they will sell a lot of these low cost tablets.

    Hating on HP is just plain silly. They are a fine company who is trying to figure out their path as the market shifts. Cut them some slack already.

    Geez!

    WebOS Rocks!!!!!!
  5. #5  
    Wrong.

    The HP is embarking in this "new strategy" because don't know what to do after Apoetheker...

    When Mark Hurd bring webOS, the strategy was defined...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  6. #6  
    Once the plug was pulled on webOS, there was no realistic prospect of it being plugged back for a significant amount of time. It was failing in the market. The debate over why has been endlessly rehashed here as has the wisdom of pulling that plug, but the damage was already done and HP are still troubled by the consequences of that period.

    Meg Whitman decided not to drown the puppy and in fact gave it to a good home via opensourcing. We should credit her for that at least. Gram didn't last long, but LG liked working with them (and the system) so much, they bought the company! ;-) Who can guess what they will do? Raise another puppy?

    In the short term, not much is happening. Maybe in the long term the puppy will grow into a more impressive animal and HP will be delighted to offer a profile service to 'the next big thing'. I imagine the cost of keeping the servers up is a drop in the ocean compared to HP's total income, so I'd say they'd be wise to keep a candle in the window on the off chance that webOS returns.
  7. #7  
    i don't believe that world would be a better place without HP.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  8. #8  
    You guys all have some great points, however i don't think it's the wisest choice to insult HP ahead of the root certificate expiry (and the subsequent loss of cloud services), when nothing has yet been promised or decided.

    It's in our interest to keep things civil, at least on the surface.

    As for the nexus 7, it is the work of Palm's Matías Duarte (among other people), so yeah, most definitely. To whoever asked when HP last innovated, I'd say '07-'08, with the Mini netbook, both aluminum chasis and plastic (what I have, bought Feb '09). The 1st gen (intel atom) Mini was very Apple-like in both design and quality, and I have no complaints, even after four years of daily use...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    i don't believe that world would be a better place without HP.
    Probably not, but it would probably not be any worse either.

    As for the OP's rant, he is clearly still not past the anger or denial stages.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/24/2013 at 08:27 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Wrong.

    The HP is embarking in this "new strategy" because don't know what to do after Apoetheker...

    When Mark Hurd bring webOS, the strategy was defined...


    Best Regards...

    This is just another silly response... you really don't know the history here and it is silly to be spiteful with shallow responses that don't go into the true history of bad decisions around WebOS that started at Palm. Let go of that chip on your shoulder and keep things in perspective for goodness sake.

    -WebOS Rocks!
  11. #11  
    You guys all have some great points, however i don't think it's the wisest choice to insult HP ahead of the root certificate expiry (and the subsequent loss of cloud services), when nothing has yet been promised or decided.

    It's in our interest to keep things civil, at least on the surface.

    As for the nexus 7, it is the work of Palm's MatÃ*as Duarte (among other people), so yeah, most definitely. To whoever asked when HP last innovated, I'd say '07-'08, with the Mini netbook, both aluminum chasis and plastic (what I have, bought Feb '09). The 1st gen (intel atom) Mini was very Apple-like in both design and quality, and I have no complaints, even after four years of daily use...
    5-6 years ago is a long time in tech. Plus your example is a netbook, that category did not fare well. Especially the ones with Windows on them which were mostly under powered and limited.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/24/2013 at 08:25 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    5-6 years ago is a long time in tech. Plus your example is a netbook, that category did not fare well. Especially the ones with Windows on them which were mostly under powered and limited.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Yup. Exactly.

    Netbooks were wiped out by the iPad and other tablets that came after it... Which makes me glad I bought mine when I did, before they turned into a throw-away commodity

    As for "underpowered", I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that. For video editing and running another desktop OS under VM, maybe, or maybe you are talking about gaming... Seems like I've never used it for anything too resource-intensive
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    My happiness is that the HP gonna lost a lot of money and don't gonna sell this tablets, because his image is marked as "tablet killer"...


    Best Regards...
    Then you shouldn't be that happy. The point is that investors are buying on Meg W. Strategy. HP shares jumped 100% in 6 months, even after poor sales report hpq was up 17% yesterday. Of course shares price is not all but for a company that hit it's historical low 6 months ago, restoring confidence is a priority. And the easier and more secure way to go is Android. WebOS would be a smarter move, maybe, but it would have been a strategic bet and the market just don't like uncertainties. Going Android is a positive signal to the market. It doesn't even matter how many Android devices they will sell in the end, right now they are buying themselves time to try to implement the turnaround strategy. If there is something the Street don't give struggling companies, it's time, look at Dell why do you think they are trying to go private? With her diversification announcement Meg easily bought herself a year or so. Also it's a message to Microsoft. Don't forget they caught OEM by surprise with the Surface. HP decided to not produce windowsRT devices and now they are sending a message to Redmond:'' You might need us more than we need you. Because we can find an ecosystems as powerfull as yours". It's something you can't do with webOS right now, it has 0% market share.

    About the devices themselves the Slate7 is a crap but it's a cheap crap and the coming Spilt with Tegra 4 is receiving good feedbacks.
    Trying to analyze a Corp like HP strategy through your biased webOS fan's eyes just don't make any sense.

    About recent innovation at HP a non exhaustive list
    Project Moonshot: don't know if they won't screw it, but this has the potential to change servers business with the release of 64bits Arm CPUs, next gen Atom and low voltage AMD CPUs.
    Officejet X
    Memristor: thought I wonder if it will ever hit the market
    TM2 design: older but damn that thing was sexy
    the original Envy spectre: because I'm tired of all the aluminium alike pcs
    Glasses free 3D tech
    And recent leaks reveal that they had one of the first Transformer Tablet design
  14. #14  
    Thanks for the insight and overview of HP's strategy. Even if Meg Whitman is successful, I don't see a webOS resurgence at HP, though part of retaining the server side of things maybe to benefit from the efforts of others (LG) if they do something.

    I've made a rough go at an overview of the various parts of webOS on this thread: webOS Status Report

    The general idea is for us to refine an agenda around which the community might make a broad strategy for webOS and act within our limited numbers and resources to move things forward as a unified group. Maybe it's too big an ask and so far I'm talking to myself, but I'd love to hear any comments and feedback if you can stand to read my rambling posts ;-)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yup. Exactly.

    Netbooks were wiped out by the iPad and other tablets that came after it... Which makes me glad I bought mine when I did, before they turned into a throw-away commodity

    As for "underpowered", I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that. For video editing and running another desktop OS under VM, maybe, or maybe you are talking about gaming... Seems like I've never used it for anything too resource-intensive
    I had a friend who had a pretty good named brand netbook. The version of Windows on it seem handicapped (he couldn't change the wallpaper) and it was awfully slow. It only had 1GB of RAM but he ordered (and eventually got) another 1GB for it. I installed Linux on it (with just the 1GB) and it flew. Was even able to activate true transparent windows and compositing on it. Netbooks were great when they first had Linux on them. Windows ruined that category with all of its bloat.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I had a friend who had a pretty good named brand netbook. The version of Windows on it seem handicapped (he couldn't change the wallpaper) and it was awfully slow. It only had 1GB of RAM but he ordered (and eventually got) another 1GB for it. I installed Linux on it (with just the 1GB) and it flew. Was even able to activate true transparent windows and compositing on it. Netbooks were great when they first had Linux on them. Windows ruined that category with all of its bloat.
    I run XP (OEM installed) and it flies, even with photoshop or the webOS emulator.. Sounds like your friend's machine is a bit newer and shipped with Win7 but the same specs as mine.

    Thanks for taking the time to clarify
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Then you shouldn't be that happy. The point is that investors are buying on Meg W. Strategy. HP shares jumped 100% in 6 months, even after poor sales report hpq was up 17% yesterday. Of course shares price is not all but for a company that hit it's historical low 6 months ago, restoring confidence is a priority. And the easier and more secure way to go is Android. WebOS would be a smarter move, maybe, but it would have been a strategic bet and the market just don't like uncertainties. Going Android is a positive signal to the market. It doesn't even matter how many Android devices they will sell in the end, right now they are buying themselves time to try to implement the turnaround strategy. If there is something the Street don't give struggling companies, it's time, look at Dell why do you think they are trying to go private? With her diversification announcement Meg easily bought herself a year or so. Also it's a message to Microsoft. Don't forget they caught OEM by surprise with the Surface. HP decided to not produce windowsRT devices and now they are sending a message to Redmond:'' You might need us more than we need you. Because we can find an ecosystems as powerfull as yours". It's something you can't do with webOS right now, it has 0% market share.

    About the devices themselves the Slate7 is a crap but it's a cheap crap and the coming Spilt with Tegra 4 is receiving good feedbacks.
    Trying to analyze a Corp like HP strategy through your biased webOS fan's eyes just don't make any sense.

    About recent innovation at HP a non exhaustive list
    Project Moonshot: don't know if they won't screw it, but this has the potential to change servers business with the release of 64bits Arm CPUs, next gen Atom and low voltage AMD CPUs.
    Officejet X
    Memristor: thought I wonder if it will ever hit the market
    TM2 design: older but damn that thing was sexy
    the original Envy spectre: because I'm tired of all the aluminium alike pcs
    Glasses free 3D tech
    And recent leaks reveal that they had one of the first Transformer Tablet design
    I tire a bit of folks blaming webOS' demise on the Touchpad being unsuccessful in the market because that did not happen. The Touchpad was just as successful as every other non-iOS device on the market. It was only out for a month and a half before HP decided to kill it. But many here seem to forget that it was not the Touchpad or webOS that HP was trying to kill, it was the whole mobile computing strategy. HP at the time did not see a future in mobile with any OS. They didn't even see a future in computers. They announced spinning off or selling their computing division at the same time. They wanted to be a software services company. The market reacted violently to it.

    HP's stock would be back up now and would be a much healthier company if they had reversed all of Leo's and Ray Lane decisions and produced a Touchpad X2 in the process. Instead they have decided to play it safe and hide behind Microsoft (with a failing mobile OS) and Google (with a very troubled tablet OS). If their stuff fails, they have someone else to blame for it also. Being on your own scares the hell out of them.
    Remy X likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I tire a bit of folks blaming webOS' demise on the Touchpad being unsuccessful in the market because that did not happen. The Touchpad was just as successful as every other non-iOS device on the market. It was only out for a month and a half before HP decided to kill it. But many here seem to forget that it was not the Touchpad or webOS that HP was trying to kill, it was the whole mobile computing strategy. HP at the time did not see a future in mobile with any OS. They didn't even see a future in computers. They announced spinning off or selling their computing division at the same time. They wanted to be a software services company. The market reacted violently to it.

    HP's stock would be back up now and would be a much healthier company if they had reversed all of Leo's and Ray Lane decisions and produced a Touchpad X2 in the process. Instead they have decided to play it safe and hide behind Microsoft (with a failing mobile OS) and Google (with a very troubled tablet OS). If their stuff fails, they have someone else to blame for it also. Being on your own scares the hell out of them.
    Generally when you quote someone it's in order to reply or discuss one of his point. Instead you went in a rant about the TouchPad. Where did I talk about the Touchpad? Read my post again. I'm talking about HP strategy right now and their choice to go Android.
    Everyone knows Leo's move were plain stupid. You don't spend 10B on purchase that won't bring you instant cash flow or a least decisive advantage over the competition, especially when your own businesses drastically need investment.
    I really doubt you know how work the market. So right after you close your unit, fire the workers, anger your partners and took a massive loss on a firesale you return to your shareholders and tell them: hi guys we were just tripping, we are back in the same business and would need to invest your money on it again? Especially when your CEO just blew 10B on a silly purchase. As a shareholder, I'm sure you would love that. It's about credibility. To reverse Leo decision they would had to fire him the very next day (and that would have killed HP credibility for centuries), but once a process like that begin you can't reverse it. They reversed what was reversible, the PSG spin off.
    After Leo's move everyone who has an idea how a fortune 500 company works knew that webOS wouldn't return anytime soon as the next big thing at HP. Personally I was hopping they would keep it as a part of their multi platform strategy. The didn't, that's their choice.
    And I would like to know how is Android a troubled OS.
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 05/25/2013 at 02:29 AM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Generally when you quote someone it's in order to reply or discuss one of his point. Instead you went in a rant about the TouchPad. Where did I talk about the Touchpad? Read my post again. I'm talking about HP strategy right now and their choice to go Android.
    Everyone knows Leo's move were plain stupid. You don't spend 10B on purchase that won't bring you instant cash flow or a least decisive advantage over the competition, especially when your own businesses drastically need investment.
    I really doubt you know how work the market. So right after you close your unit, fire the workers, anger your partners and took a massive loss on a firesale you return to your shareholders and tell them: hi guys we were just tripping, we are back in the same business and would need to invest your money on it again? Especially when your CEO just blew 10B on a silly purchase. As a shareholder, I'm sure you would love that. It's about credibility. To reverse Leo decision they would had to fire him the very next day (and that would have killed HP credibility for centuries), but once a process like that begin you can't reverse it. They reversed what was reversible, the PSG spin off.
    After Leo's move everyone who has an idea how a fortune 500 company works knew that webOS wouldn't return anytime soon as the next big thing at HP. Personally I was hopping they would keep it as a part of their multi platform strategy. The didn't, that's their choice.
    And I would like to know how is Android a troubled OS.
    Calm down. The post wasn't directed solely at you or an attack against you. I really only focused on one sentence from your post, the rest was just to continue the discussion. The Touchpad was brought up because it has somehow become the scapegoat for HP's or webOS' failure.

    Android is troubled in the fact that it is littered with advertisements and malware. Some of the apps on it don't play well with other apps. Some apps and system components crash or lock-up causing you to reboot your entire system. I can say this from years of experience with multiple Android updates and hardware. In fact I am typing this from CM10 right now. I have a Motorola Photon that is driving me nuts (but it is a world phone, I'm overseas so I need it), my wife has a Galaxy S3, and my daughter has a EVO 3D that I get stuck "fixing" when I'm home. If webOS doesn't return to tablets in some form or another and my Touchpad dies, I'm going to buy an iPad. I don't have that much love for iOS but from what I have seen with the multitude of Android devices that get "abandon" by their manufacturers, the load of trouble setting up simple things on some Android devices (get the APN right for the network I'm on was a PITA), the crashes and software issues on "premier" Android devices, I would rather have Apple's walled garden then Google so called freedom. I keep hoping it will get better but it just seems to get worse and worse.

    If you get a chance, read my post about the trouble I am having with Android in Afghanistan right now. Only reason I'm in CM10 right now is that I am at a place with a 1/2 way decent connection for a few hours so I am taking the time to update some apps on the system. Hopefully they will behave. I probably won't have time like this to do this again for a while.
  20. #20  
    @Vity, you mentioned not knowing how the market works. I'm a consumer and I live work or associate with other consumers. I know what it takes to get someone to open their pocketbook or wallet. I know that consumer trust and confidence in a company goes a long way. People don't buy Apple products because of a boardroom strategy, how well their stock is doing, or even because they are better than others (there are several products better and cheaper than Apple's when you do the homework). They trust Apple. I owned several HP products and, until this fiasco, would have bought more. I trusted HP. They weren't glamorous, but reliable. HP destroyed my confidence in them or their products. They killed a good line of products because they weren't sure about the mobile market. Waste billions of dollars on another market they weren't sure about, then came sheepishly back into the mobile market with an OS/product we could just as easily get from one of their competitors who have credibility that HP doesn't have. I would buy the Slatebook X2 from Samsung, Asus, or Amazon as is, but not from HP without a lot of soul searching or thought. Consumers want companies that will stand by their products. HP abandon webOS for Windows 8 (if you believe the stories) and abandoned Windows 8 for Android. What will keep them from chasing the next shiny object that comes along? Not downing you, dude. I just can't stand companies or people who don't stand by a product or ideal after they preach it.

    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I love my Pre3 (Vs Android tablet)
    By jmdesai in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12/11/2012, 12:38 PM
  2. Android love/hate
    By hpsalesguy in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08/04/2012, 06:47 AM
  3. A very short love affair with Palm
    By joliejolie0930 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11/04/2010, 09:44 PM
  4. I'm tired of the love affair with Google/Android
    By onlinespending in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02/26/2010, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions