1.    #1  
    Either you'll know what I'm talking about or not by the title of this post: I have that "P" problem with my Treo 270 (GPRS update came bundled with this replacement).

By the "P" problem, I mean: whenever you open the calendar or address book, it automatically puts a "p" in your entry field below so that either 1) you accidentally create lots of appointments that just say "p" or 2) in the address book, you open to the first person in your list that starts with "p" (in my case, some spanish girl named Patrica Alvarez that I met in Starbucks a few years ago).

The worst part is: sometimes, after it pulls up Patricia's number, when I close the lid, it now AUTOMATICALLY calls her! It is not uncommon for me to look down at my Treo only to find that it has connected with Patricia several minutes ago. This is particularly embarrassing since I don't even know this girl and I've probably left her 10 voice mails in Madrid in the middle of the night her time - I'm in NYC! (Patricia, if you're reading this, apologies - my Treo knows not what it does, who it calls, etc.)

Can anybody tell me how to fix:
    - the "p" problem
    - the auto-dial problem when you close the lid after the "p" problem comes up (I'm assuming it is relatec)

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Sounds more like a hardware short on the keyboard than a software issue. Good luck.
    Are you sure it's not the problem with the lid snapping closed and bumping the P key? This is a well known issue. Try to close the lid gently so it doesn't slam down. See if you get fewer P's in your apps.
    Originally posted by jposin
    Are you sure it's not the problem with the lid snapping closed and bumping the P key? This is a well known issue. Try to close the lid gently so it doesn't slam down. See if you get fewer P's in your apps.

Yes I agree, I would get it replaced.
  5.    #5  
    jposin, it may be the lid snapping closed hitting the "p" somehow, as i seem to have read somewhere else on this board that sometimes people have the "q" problem (which mirrors the "p" on the other side - would make sense, per what you're saying).

any ideas if this can be fixed somehow? just got my replacement and really would prefer to not immediatley go through the process again if there is another solution.

GL
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    This is a problem due to the lid manufacture on many Treos. To reduce this problem, take a small crosspoint screwdriver and gently unscrew the top two screws on the back of the unit. If these screws are too tight, the lid will hit the "o" and "p" keys when it closes. The screws should be backed off until they offer no pressure on the back case cover. In my experience, this reduces the problem significantly, but does not fix it completely.
    I have the "p" version of this problem, and you can clearly see the marks on the inside of the lid where both the p and q keys have rubbed off paint inside the lid over time. I suppose the good news is that this 270 has lasted long enough for this to happen!

I solved the dialing issue by creating a dummy contact named Paa Aaa (first name Paa to be the first one in the "p" list as it seems to try first names first for me), with a phone number of "1". If the lids snaps shut, hits the p key and then dials (which it does every so often) it now calls this harmless number instead of the poor fellow Patrick that used to get all of the calls!
  8.    #8  
    HA - i solved the "p" problem (which kept calling Patricia in Spain) by creating an entry. too (Pass Adrock in my case) with the number 999 999 9999. Your Paa Aaa name is better though - sounds like Klingon for "grandfather".

Thanks to all for your help - will try loosening the screws as suggested.
    I have a similar P problem - but in the calendar. I get intermittent appointments at midnight (with my default 5 min alarm) to do P. Or sometimes [space].
    I've had the treo for a year now - but it has only just started doing this. It's clear from the lid that the keys hit P. The best solution to me seems to try to build up the lip of the lid.
    Any suggestions on how I could do that (I don't want to try to melt the plastic and re-mould!)

Some kind of modellinging paste?

cheers,
  10.    #10  
    your best solution is to very lightly loosen the screws on the back of the treo which hold the lid on. by doing so, the lid doesn't snap closed with the velocity that creates the "p" problem.

best regards,
    GL