1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if Treos or any other palm-capable phone can be set up to work on the Verizon network?

I'm getting ready to switch wireless providers, and consumer Reports says that Verizon is the best choice for my area & needs.

But - checking Verizon's website, I don't see any "Palm-capable" phones listed.

I'm currently using [and very happy with] my Treo 180 with Cingular, but would switch to a color Treo (or anything else) if it's available - and would work on the Verizon network (with their SIMs, I guess).

Anyone know?.Thanks, Chuck
    I'm currently using [and very happy with] my Treo 180 with Cingular, but would switch to a color Treo (or anything else) if it's available - and would work on the Verizon network (with their SIMs, I guess).

Anyone know?.Thanks, Chuck [/B][/QUOTE]

To the best of my knowledge, Verizon will be offering the Kyocera 7135, but it is stuck in testing right now due to some problems. The Kyocera is a similar to the Treo, except it doesn't have the keyboard, and the screen is in the top part of the flip cover. I don't think Verizon uses SIM's, BTW...

I have Verizon service for my car phone in Los Angeles, and Sprint for my Treo. I have found they both work great, and Sprint has been surprisingly easy to deal with as I've had to return the Treo 4 times for various problems. If you can't wait, why not give them a try? There's even a $100 rebate deal I just read about on the Handspring Website...

LZ
    Verizon will be bringing out a new phone w/ organizer next quarter. It'll be a Kyocera (dont' remember the model name) .. I think it'll be run'n palm s/w (will do more research and post here) .. but it will have 3 displays.

1- Regular (small) size phone display like most phones.
    2- Flip up yields a larger display .. almost the size of the Treo
    3- On top display .. like a pager

Its supposed to display color too!
    Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA2000 networks. Thus only the Treo 300 could theoretically work on Verizon's network... Unfortunately, Verizon does not support the Treo 300. I've inquired if it was possible to some how unlock the T300 and put a Verizon chip inot the Treo 300, but I was never able to get a definitive answer, and thus it is probably not possible. You're only choice is consider other smartphones that Verizon may offer such as the Kyocera 7135 or the Samsung SCH-i600. The 7135 is a trimode cdma/1xRTT palmOS 4.1 based smartphone that uses a flip cover disign and includes features such as mp3 player, 16 MB of RAM, 320x320, but no QERWTY keypad. You can read a review about it here. The I600 on the other hand is M$ Smartphone based device that also uses a flip design. Unfortunately, Verizon will not be supporting the i500 which is the PalmOS version... These are the only options currently under Verizon. Here are some more links:

Phonescoop page for i600
    phonescoop page for 7135

Good discussion of i500 vs 7135
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA2000 networks. Thus only the Treo 300 could theoretically work on Verizon's network... Unfortunately, Verizon does not support the Treo 300. I've inquired if it was possible to some how unlock the T300 and put a Verizon chip inot the Treo 300, but I was never able to get a definitive answer, and thus it is probably not possible.
    Sprint uses 1900 MHz; Verizon uses mostly 800 MHz and the Treo 300 is a single band (1900 MHz), so there is no way that a Treo 300 could work on Verizon. In addition, Sprint and Verizon won't activate phones that haven't been tested on their networks; the ESNs of the devies tell them the manufacturer and phone type, so they'll know if you try. GSM networks aren't this restrictive as you can simply pull out the SIM and place it in another phone.
  6.    #6  
    I really appreciate all the info everyone took the time to post.
    I now understand clearly that if I want to move to Verizon (and I'm pretty sure I do) I'll have to change phones.

The Samsung i600 looks like the best choice to me - but I've got a bit of time to wait.

The unfortunate thing is that by the time my contract expires in Aug, my Treo 180 will be worth about $25 or so.

Oh well, that's the price we pay for our toys.

Again, thanks!