Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I had to do another hard reset (I think Ringo has corrupted my device), but I was able to restore everything from the desktop. However, now when I hot synch it still comes up "restoring old databases" ! Everytime. It takes like 10 minutes to restore everything again and then at the end, it says "fatal error." I tried to click off "install" from the hot sync menu, but no change. Any ideas????? Thanks !
    Some Palm Database file is probably corrupted. Before you do anything else make a backup of the the folder that contains your Palm user files.

Can you isloate which file is being hotsynched, maybe from the hotsync screen on the Treo? If not, you may have to do a hard reset and create a new user profile. Then, manually install some of the importaint databases from the original user folder. Such as the addressbook, memo pad, datebook etc. And then reinstall the applications.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input! Might seem like a stupid question but....how do you go through those steps to manually reinstall single databases. I tried in the past, but can't remember how I ended up getting it right. Any quick tips? Thanks so much.
    They would be in the backup folder within your user directory in the Palm folder. Just double-click the ones you need and it will send them to the installer. For example BLBookmark.PDB will reinstall Blazers Bookmarks.
    I had a similar problem with a corupted file and and subsequent failure after hotsync. You may get a hint by looking at the hotsync log. Otherwise what I had to do was move suspect files from the /handspring/backup directory to a temporary file (on the pc). I then had to do repeated hard resets and hot syncs until I got it right. It turned out to be eaither: Megalauncher4, which suddenly started to fail before my problems, or Aol IM, or my PQA extensions. Havnt felt like figuring out which one is the culprit. As a side note I seemed to have fixed my data disconnect and error message.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Some Palm Database file is probably corrupted. Before you do anything else make a backup of the the folder that contains your Palm user files.

Can you isloate which file is being hotsynched, maybe from the hotsync screen on the Treo? If not, you may have to do a hard reset and create a new user profile. Then, manually install some of the importaint databases from the original user folder. Such as the addressbook, memo pad, datebook etc. And then reinstall the applications.
    I just ran into almost an identical problem. Doing a complete restore puts me back in the same jam, yet when I re-hard reset and decide to do a selective restore, I don't know what the names would be for the files where the data for the addressbook, memo pad, datebook etc. are stored.

Any chance you have the names of these files, so I can find them in my backup folder, and selectively and manually restore them only? This data is not in my Palm Desktop. (A different story.)

TIA for any help and advice!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Sorry. I think I messed up my original answer. When this happened to me, I manually copied all the files from the user profile in the Palm folder. For instance, for the Addressbook, I went into the "address" folder in the Palm folder under my user name, and copied in new .bak, .dat and all the .ABA files into the new user profile. I did this for Memopad, ToDo and Datebook also. In my case the Memopad files were corrupt, so I had to restore those files from an older backup I had, losing some of my data in the process.

In my actual backup folder, where all the prc and pdb files are stored, I personally do not see the approriate files to install the data manually. Using Filez I can see the following files on my Treo: AddressDB, DatebookDB, MemoDB, ToDoDB, however, I do not see these files in my backup folder, even though the backup bit is on for these files. I can only assume that Palm Desktop builds these files during a Hotsync based on all the data stored in the .bak, .dat and .aba files in the address folder.

The backup folder works good for reinstalling 3rd party application data, or even some of the phonebook data. For example, the Speed Dial list I believe is stored in PhoneDialDB.PDB, which is in the back-up folder. Or at least it is if the back-up bit is on, say using Filez.

Let me know if this is confusing.........
    I am going to do a hard reset but I want to do a "clean install" (and selective restore) of my applications and some databases. If I just simply take the "backup" folder out of my user folder will a hotsync create a new one?

Then question #2 ... to do a selective restore do I simply then click on the databases from the old backup folder (backed up) and load them on the Treo? Is that where I find the databases? (such as my Blazer bookmarks, phonebook speed dials, etc.)

I know there is a way to do this but I have never tried it and I don't want to restore everything.

Hope I explained what I want to do .. thanks in advance for any help!!
    The first part I have never done, but in theory I would assume that it would.

The second part is how I have done it in the past. The only thing I would make sure of, is that the databases that you do want restored are actually backed up. Some are not. Use that Filez program I mentioned earlier to set the "back-up bit" on the DBs that you want backed up. Other than that, it is like you stated, you find that DBs in the back-up folder, and you can manually reload them by just double-clicking on them.
    Thanks! Wish me luck!