Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    That's bigger and more positive news than the ACL announcement.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    and believable.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    were you bordering on a star trek quote? then decided it would be far too geek like and embarassing?
    It didn't occur to me until you pointed it out. But, I wouldn't have wanted to infringe on your screen name.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/29/2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You do realise that at this point in time, HP is completely irrelevant to webOS, right?

There is no-one at HP who spares a single neuron thinking about webOS. HP will never again refer to webOS in any context. There will never be any webOS-related product, service, or code release from HP. Once the app catalog is no longer contractually required, and the business case for keeping it open is exceeded by the cost and dilution of focus, it will be closed forever.

-- Rod
    Yes... it was a simply a joke reference towards RNP since he mentioned HP.
    WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports both intentionally have a capital W to ensure we do not infringe on HP's trademark on 'webOS' (they only trademarked the lower case w version).

-- Rod
    ACL-PIC aside, I'm somewhat confused by what Ron is saying, especially when it comes to what HP still owns, and what LG purchased.

You do realise that at this point in time, HP is completely irrelevant to webOS, right?
    There is no-one at HP who spares a single neuron thinking about webOS. HP will never again refer to webOS in any context. There will never be any webOS-related product, service, or code release from HP.
    WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports both intentionally have a capital W to ensure we do not infringe on HP's trademark on 'webOS'
    This leads me to a few questions:

1. Understanding that WebOS Internals & WebOS Ports began before the LG purchase, why would HP care about the WebOS or webOS name, now? Didn't the name go along with the LG deal?
    2. What exactly does LG own? If they decided to make a tablet that dual booted webOS & Android, is that possible? Can HP "interfere" in any way?
    3. What happened to the webOS patents? I'm of the belief that HP still has them - which leads me to ask ... why? And if they don't, then ... nvmd. (lol)
    4. And this may be a redundant question, but what does HP still own - besides a lot of hardware (and specs) that they never put out the door (like the Windsornot).
    5. I thought the HP-LG deal had some significance with Cloud services. Can someone explain how that differs from what I hear LG is working on (with respect to Cloud services).
    6. Can LG take over the app catalogue? If the answer is NO, then wtf was this kind of deal between LG & HP? Why would HP hang on to the catalogue, knowing this deal gives it a death sentence? I still buy my share of HP products, and I'm sure many others do to - which makes me wonder wtf HP was thinking, setting this arrangement up this way? The moment they shut down the Servers, is the moment that I (and probably many others), would say adios to anything HP. I know we keep playing "stupid is as stupid does" through our minds, but HP has to know the repercussions. Just doesn't make sense. Their stock needs every boost it can get, and this just strikes me as completely stupid. [End of rant]

I know I've repeated myself on a few questions, but I might suggest to Derek, that WebOS Nations do an update article on what happened, who owns what, and where it might go (besides a refrigerator / tv option)

Thanks in advance for any clarity to all this.

Last edited by Lansing2002; 04/29/2013 at 10:51 PM.
    MDsmartphone and laoh like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    [LIST=1][*]Understanding that WebOS Internals & WebOS Ports began before the LG purchase, why would HP care about the WebOS or webOS name, now? Didn't the name go along with the LG deal?
    Regardless of who now owns the trademark, the trademark exists, and should not be infringed. We're not going to change our name just cause webOS now has an additional licensee.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". .......................
    Putz...

http://i.imgur.com/SuFG4Kr.gif

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    purplepansy and vgg like this.
    When does the app store legal requirements for hp officially end?

One wonders why they just didn't give up the whole thing to LG in the first place.... Unless LG didn't want it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
    I would recommend that folks who are considering backing this to first ask to see either:

1) A signed legal agreement guaranteeing delivery and support of a working ACL from Open Mobile to PIC, with the legally enforceable penalty of full refund (plus interest) of kickstarter pledges if it does not happen.

or

2) A signed legal license agreement which allows PIC to continue development of ACL under their own steam, without hindrance of Open Mobile (e.g. an unrestricted source code license with full modification and binary distribution rights).

I'm willing to trust PIC's intentions and motivations here. That trust does not extend to Open Mobile.
    PIC management has assured me that they have a working relationship and legal agreement in place with OpenMobile that they believe is sufficient to fulfil the terms of the kickstarter.

Obviously, the details of that working relationship and legal agreement are confidential, and I am not privy to them.

You still need to make your own judgement about whether the project is technically viable, but that's no different to any other kickstarter.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Rnp, xandros9 and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Thank you, Rod.

So... we have a lot to think: blue pill or red pill?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Thank you, Rod.

So... we have a lot to think: blue pill or red pill?

Best Regards...
    reminded me of this recent ad
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8RhAp-m7bk[/YT]
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Rnp and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    I would just guess that LG bought what they wanted, and left what they didn't.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Why would HP hang on to the catalogue, knowing this deal gives it a death sentence? .......
    Answering my own question, I might suggest - based on some developers saying they make more money on webOS (and other such factors) - that the Catalogue makes Hewy & Pedro some money. With the upside "might be" that webOS gets a bigger market, further extending the revenue stream. And if it doesn't work, the cost is minimal. For HP.
    At least compared to Autonomy.

The irony for that Autonomy fiasco that is still being played out, is how HP had the resources (without Autonomy) to have made a play for RIM. Being as HP had enjoyed top PC maker status, an acquisition that included RIM, would have given the opportunity for a triple or quad-boot Tablet. A Touchpad 2 with BB10, webOS, Android, and any other off-shoot.

Blanket the market with mutiple options no other Company could offer, and aim for top Seller status.

i think a devs problems making cash on android isnt that their apps are unpopular its just their their apps are mixed in with hundreds of thousands of other apps and arent always easy to find. Combine that with the fact google play doesnt search in any meaningful way to the user and has more meaning to google pushing what bags them more ££/$$.

hard to make cash when people dont even see your app.

NOTE: ive always found it funny when on both apple and android markets, ive sometimes entered fully the name of an app i wanted to try, yet had to scroll past heaps of unrelated crap before they showed me the exact app i was after, then scratch my head wondering why it wasnt the first result given.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    MDsmartphone likes this.
    The WebOS Ports team is working closely with LG.

-- Rod
    Very good to hear.

Now does anyone know who/what/where the heck Gram is at? Did they get lost in the LG shuffle? That's the one big mystery that nobody has really been able to shed any light on. Did Gram come over to LG with WebOS?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    ACL-PIC aside, I'm somewhat confused by what Ron is saying, especially when it comes to what HP still owns, and what LG purchased.

This leads me to a few questions:
    1. ...
    2. What happened to the webOS patents? I'm of the belief that HP still has them - which leads me to ask ... why? And if they don't, then ... nvmd. (lol)

This question is easily answered: patents are money, either by licensing them to others, sueing other for infringements or by using them as shield against infringement-sues.
    HP would be mad to give the patents out of hand.

Therefore, LG has only the license to use the tech from the patents. They don't own them.

At least this is, how I understood it.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Now does anyone know who/what/where the heck Gram is at? Did they get lost in the LG shuffle? That's the one big mystery that nobody has really been able to shed any light on. Did Gram come over to LG with WebOS?
    Off-topic, but from UnwiredBen at the Enyo forum:
    (the context of these citations can be read at: Ares all in 1 Installer - Enyo )

unwiredben - March 25
    Palm + Gram are no more. The core Enyo team is now part of the LG Silicon Valley Labs (which bought most of webOS device software from HP), while part of the Ares team are with HP out of Grenoble, France and reporting into the former webOS cloud services organization.
    unwiredben - April 19
    No, gram was a brand that was going to be used for the organization that ran Open webOS, but it's on hold for now, as most of that group is now part of LG Silicon Valley Labs.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The WebOS Ports team is working closely with LG.

-- Rod
    I know that you cannot disclose much, but what's your opinion about LG?
    You have a lot of experience, do you think that they are truly interested in webOS?
    Moreover, are there any chances that somewhere along the line maybe LG will change their mind regarding mobile devices and webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I know that you cannot disclose much, but what's your opinion about LG?
    You have a lot of experience, do you think that they are truly interested in webOS?
    Moreover, are there any chances that somewhere along the line maybe LG will change their mind regarding mobile devices and webOS?
    I'm not the person interacting with them.

-- Rod
    Rnp likes this.
    Just a detail about patents: "OPEN" webOS gave me the idea that all libraries are open source; in other words, without infring any closed patent...

Best Regards...

There is no-one at HP who spares a single neuron thinking about webOS. HP will never again refer to webOS in any context. There will never be any webOS-related product, service, or code release from HP. Once the app catalog is no longer contractually required, and the business case for keeping it open is exceeded by the cost and dilution of focus, it will be closed forever.

-- Rod
    I'm actually surprised by this. My understanding of the LG deal was that HP retained the patents and the back end server stuff and licensed the development of the on-device OS. There was talk of HP developing the synergy system as an enterprise thing (probably not in a webOS context). It's not that I expect HP to do anything - other than count the fees and possibly jump in with services if LG make a success of it, but if webOS is dead to HP, why not hand the whole lot over? Except for the notorious 'Smart phone' patent, obviously!

If the app-catalogue is pulled, then webOS really has had it. Will HP gift it to LG or the community? I mean Android apps will be OK, but no native apps? That's when the zombie's legs fall off.

My guess is that HP are sitting on their hands in the hope someone else will do the heavy lifting they can cash in on. If it doesn't happen, I hope they will be graceful enough to hand the project on to someone interested.