Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
  1.    #421  
    Donated already. Can't wait to get my Phoenix T-shirt ))
    mattmers likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Based on the less-than-honest track record of Open Mobile (the makers of ACL), I would recommend that folks who are considering backing this to first ask to see either:

1) A signed legal agreement guaranteeing delivery and support of a working ACL from Open Mobile to PIC, with the legally enforceable penalty of full refund (plus interest) of kickstarter pledges if it does not happen.

or

2) A signed legal license agreement which allows PIC to continue development of ACL under their own steam, without hindrance of Open Mobile (e.g. an unrestricted source code license with full modification and binary distribution rights).
    I didn't want to weigh in on this substantively, but I feel I should highlight and concur with this post from Rod Whitby because it's part of my expertise professionally. Without commenting specifically, Rod is very on-point that there are legal concerns to be considered here, including those in his comments that are quite valid. I really hope PIC has a tech lawyer reviewing their agreement with OpenMobile. If not, I'd rather offer some of my time, pro bono even, than see them get into a position (and indirectly the webOS community) to be exploited.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    make clones of rod/jason and any other devs we have in abundance and send them en mass to LG.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    so why do you think new users would want a "new" device with nothing but stock apps on it?
    I didn't say that all people want it. Many webOS fans would come back, but not enough people to keep webOS alive.
    webOS hardware does not mean success for the OS, however webOS hardware is a mandatory step for webOS to stay alive. If webOS can survive (I highly doubt it) it will be with new hardware for starters.
    I'm not sure if I made it clear.
    The possibility of loading Android apps on an old tablet (in the not so near future) does not mean anything for the future of webOS. It may be nice for many TP users that they will be able to keep their TP a bit more.
    Nothing more.
    BB10 has the ability to officially side-load Android apps, but if the devices and the OS is not good enough it will die.
    Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I didn't say that all people want it. Many webOS fans would come back, but not enough people to keep webOS alive.
    webOS hardware does not mean success for the OS, however webOS hardware is a mandatory step for webOS to stay alive. If webOS can survive (I highly doubt it) it will be with new hardware for starters.
    I'm not sure if I made it clear.
    The possibility of loading Android apps on an old tablet (in the not so near future) does not mean anything for the future of webOS. It may be nice for many TP users that they will be able to keep their TP a bit more.
    Nothing more.
    BB10 has the ability to officially side-load Android apps, but if the devices and the OS is not good enough it will die.
    ive said this regarding ios/android but what apps do you think requires a new device? i have an ipad3/loadsa android tablets/2 phones/3x touchpads (2 have cm10) and ive yet to come accross the need for a "superior" or new device, if all you want is to play say N.O.V.A 3 with all its bells and whistles then maybe, but thats 1 game, a full on 3d game at that. (i mean i have a fully playable dead space app on my chineese single core 1ghz phone and it runs fine, powers nice but not always needed)

the touchpads issue isnt that its old but that its out of production, if it was still in production its still a good device.

back to my previous question tho, what apps "need" new or better hardware? can anyone name a few?
    C'mon, we must haz the most power
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    C'mon, we must haz the most power
    were you bordering on a star trek quote? then decided it would be far too geek like and embarassing?
    I agree that new hardware is required if WebOS were to survive (as many have stated). ACL will help with that if its ever launched. New hardware makers will know buyers have access to a ton more apps (for those that think that's important). Of course, at this time, tablets only, but its a start.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Look, folk... when I say that we need new hardware, is not exactly "top" hardware, but we need h-a-r-d-w-a-r-e!!

This Slate 7 from HP with webOS could be an excellent new restart... why don't?

If work well and continue cheap, the people in all world gonna buy and this call the developer's attention. In the end, this concept worked with Android...

Forget "apps" for now... they come with some device to install & run...

I confess: I'm very happy with my Pre 3 & my Touchpad... but we need more devices to sell & give power to system, to call new apps...

C'mon... is not so hard do see: we need NEW hardware, top or not...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Is Rod working for LG yet? We need someone on the inside there who gets it!
    The WebOS Ports team is working closely with LG.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/29/2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Look, folk... when I say that we need new hardware, is not exactly "top" hardware, but we need h-a-r-d-w-a-r-e!!

This Slate 7 from HP with webOS could be an excellent new restart... why don't?

If work well and continue cheap, the people in all world gonna buy and this call the developer's attention. In the end, this concept worked with Android...

Forget "apps" for now... they come with some device to install & run...

I confess: I'm very happy with my Pre 3 & my Touchpad... but we need more devices to sell & give power to system, to call new apps...

C'mon... is not so hard do see: we need NEW hardware, top or not...

Best Regards...
    And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says.. we aren't going to release another webOS device because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". And HP says we aren't going to make webOS devices because no one is making apps for it. And the devs yell back "we don't make apps for it because you quick making devices". .......................
    Rnp likes this.
    The WeOS Ports team is working closely with LG.

-- Rod
    OK.. that's pure Awesomeness to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    And HP says..
    You do realise that at this point in time, HP is completely irrelevant to webOS, right?

There is no-one at HP who spares a single neuron thinking about webOS. HP will never again refer to webOS in any context. There will never be any webOS-related product, service, or code release from HP. Once the app catalog is no longer contractually required, and the business case for keeping it open is exceeded by the cost and dilution of focus, it will be closed forever.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp likes this.
    You do realise that at this point in time, HP is completely irrelevant to webOS, right?

-- Rod
    That's bigger and more positive news than the ACL announcement.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    xandros9, geekpeter, Rnp and 3 others like this.

There is no-one at HP who spares a single neuron thinking about webOS. HP will never again refer to webOS in any context. There will never be any webOS-related product, service, or code release from HP. Once the app catalog is no longer contractually required, and the business case for keeping it open is exceeded by the cost and dilution of focus, it will be closed forever.

-- Rod
    No I did not realize this, I thought that HP had only sold some rights to LG, that HP was hiring for some backend cloud service to businesses under GRAM although now that I type in webosjobs.com I am directed to LG jobs in Sunnyvale CA and in other places. And when I look at the Verge Feb article about the sale of webOS to LG it clarifies that HP is licensing the patents to LG so HP might think there is still some value to those patents.
    The WeOS Ports team is working closely with LG.

-- Rod
    For those of you who were getting on Phoenix for mis-capitalizing webOS, I'd just like to point out that even Rod mistypes sometimes, too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    MDsmartphone likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    For those of you who were getting on Phoenix for mis-capitalizing webOS, I'd just like to point out that even Rod mistypes sometimes, too.
    WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports both intentionally have a capital W to ensure we do not infringe on HP's trademark on 'webOS' (they only trademarked the lower case w version).

-- Rod
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports both intentionally have a capital W to ensure we do not infringe on HP's trademark on 'webOS' (they only trademarked the lower case w version).

-- Rod
    But you said "WeOS"
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    But you said "WeOS"
    Not according to the current version of that post ;-)

-- Rod