Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
    Based on the less-than-honest track record of Open Mobile (the makers of ACL), I would recommend that folks who are considering backing this to first ask to see either:

1) A signed legal agreement guaranteeing delivery and support of a working ACL from Open Mobile to PIC, with the legally enforceable penalty of full refund (plus interest) of kickstarter pledges if it does not happen.

or

2) A signed legal license agreement which allows PIC to continue development of ACL under their own steam, without hindrance of Open Mobile (e.g. an unrestricted source code license with full modification and binary distribution rights).

I'm willing to trust PIC's intentions and motivations here. That trust does not extend to Open Mobile.

I would also like Open Mobile (or PIC on their behalf) to clearly state how the technical hurdles which were cited as the reason for a previous inability to release their 'product' to the webOS app catalog have suddenly been overcome.

I fear that Open Mobile may be using PIC as a way to extend the funding of their fruitless demo-ware existence for another six months. I hope the PIC guys have a good lawyer involved in this arrangement, and have considered the negative effect that association with Open Mobile may have on their own reputation.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I sort of have a terrible feeling about what this may end up with......but I'm gonna wait and see.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I fear that Open Mobile may be using PIC as a way to extend the funding of their fruitless demo-ware existence for another six months. I hope the PIC guys have a good lawyer involved in this arrangement, and have considered the negative effect that association with Open Mobile may have on their own reputation.

-- Rod
    Thats what I was say. PHX is ok, but I hope openmobile is just not here to milk them.

$5991 backed with one $500 backer.

It will be great if we make it to $35,000 and get the ACL. But if it does not make it all the way, why don't we put our equivalent donation in webOS internals bank account.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Thats what I was say. PHX is ok, but I hope openmobile is just not here to milk them.

It will be great if we make it to $35,000 and get the ACL. But if it does not make it all the way, why don't we put our equivalent donation in webOS internals bank account.
    At the moment, WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports have sufficient funds from the last donation drive to purchase development devices and pay for server operating expenses.

For software artifacts, we never ask for donations before we have released something to be thankful for...

-- Rod
    The more I let it sink in, the more doubts I have.

1st, I do not trust Openmobile for the beforementioned reasons. No track record with WebOS yet.
    2nd, EVEN IF they manage to deliver, I am not so sure, that old Gingerbread-Android Apps on old WebOS Versions on old Touchpad Hardware is, what WebOS needs to thrive.

I'ld rather have a new OpenWebOS (incl. synergy and all the goodies we know from WebOS) on new hardware and see a lot of programmers do new apps for this platform...
    Well, I can dream, can't I ...
    But that's a dream I would donate money for. Anything else seems a bit fruitless to me.
    Just my 2 eurocents...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    MDsmartphone and RumoredNow like this.
    Taking the plunge. Donated. Trusting PIC that they sorted things out e.g. as Rod suggests or something close. I admit, it is a bit of a desperate move at this stage, but these are desperate times. I also said in their poll that I would appreciate Android apps or something along those words, so I felt I needed to follow up on that.

Having Gingerbread apps available under webOS would in my case extend the lifetime of my Touchpad with another year. Would be nice if this also can be made available to run with webOS 2.2.x or OWOS though but wishful thinking for now.

If this project does not succeed or delivers a mediocre product, then my hope is still on webOS ports and a handful of app developers. Will continue donating and buying apps till my webOS devices fail to work as my daily drivers.
    So much negativity around here ;
    Best solution don't exist ;there are only possibilities wheither it's PIC/Openmobile Or Webos-port!
    So stop bashin initiative or opposing teams please!
    What we need is "Unity"
    Regards Onanii
    renater likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    I sort of have a terrible feeling about what this may end up with......but I'm gonna wait and see.
    even if its bad its publicity for someone and no doubt a mountain of future posts/front page storys for quite a while, we wont be short of material to read.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    renater and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    even if its bad its publicity for someone and no doubt a mountain of future posts/front page storys for quite a while, we wont be short of material to read.
    Agree, just had a daily subscription email from this thread that it had 111 new messages. It has been a while I had so much to read in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

the problem many people have had with kickstarter projects is not that most dont get funded its the rare times they do get funded, their money "donated" yet nothing comes of it all.

kickstarter are under no obligation to chase after or take responsibility for what happens after money is taken/delivered and there have been a few famous instances where sizeable amounts of ££/$$ have just up and walked as people mistakenly assume they have purchased a product when in fact their money is just a "donation" to help achieve a result IF the project starter can manage it.

google around and you will find quite a few storys like the following.
    Kickstarter Darling Pebble Leaves Backers Hanging | Inc.com

all of these basically boil down to people assuming they have "ordered" a product like they would in amazon/argos/etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Onanii View Post
    So much negativity around here ;
    Best solution don't exist ;there are only possibilities wheither it's PIC/Openmobile Or Webos-port!
    So stop bashin initiative or opposing teams please!
    What we need is "Unity"
    Regards Onanii
    good words but slightly inaccurate, people with a bit more understanding (esp regarding kickstarter) just want people who arent as familiar with kickstarter projects to know exactly what it is their letting themselves in for, if their happy with the risks then yeah its all good and np, but many who likely havent used kickstarter before may blindly donate cash wrongly assuming they just made a definate product purchace.

its not bashing imho, its being careful, i personally would only reccomend kickstarter projects to friends/family or even people here only IF they knew exactly how it worked and whats involved, id feel a complete **** if a project i reccomended went bad and it ended up being my fault and all parties involved lose hard earned cash.

The people here should be no different, know the risks fully aware of what can happen (or just as easily may not!) and be cautious, dont give people grief for their personal opinion or the fact their doubtful or even cautious, and as a polar opposite we shouldnt call people morons/idiots/etc for leaping at the chance that it may idd work out well enough.

just know the risks either way and your choice doesnt matter, it does however matter if you go in blind.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 04/29/2013 at 07:30 AM.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Well... I still have no accurated opinion to leave here, but... where is the PIC/OM here in forum, to leave some words?

We can trust just for faith, but listen directly from the source can give more consistency...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I dont know what to do. I'd def like to have this option to run Android apps in a card (though I'm not sure why its an older version of android. Would a lot of apps not work because of this?). I wouldn't mind passing $50 their way to get this going and to get a copy of the software but all of the negative comments are scary and surprising actually. If PIC ran with our $ and didn't deliver any product wouldn't we have a class action lawsuit?
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    I dont know what to do. I'd def like to have this option to run Android apps in a card (though I'm not sure why its an older version of android. Would a lot of apps not work because of this?). I wouldn't mind passing $50 their way to get this going and to get a copy of the software but all of the negative comments are scary and surprising actually. If PIC ran with our $ and didn't deliver any product wouldn't we have a class action lawsuit?
    you just need to post somewhere here or on their kickstarter project for definitive accurate information, then you can make your mind up without worrying.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    again tho, the issue isnt what WE want or what we feel is important, the big picture is to claw back other people and/or devs who have scrambled to android and left webOS.

a mobile OS/device cant somehow survice with a handful of people, you need MORE for webOS to gain traction with others and if we like it or not android apps are the exact reason a lot left webOS to begin with for pastures greener.
    Sorry, I don't buy it.
    People having moved to Android 1-2 years ago would not move back to webOS now, just because an obsolete hardware as the TP may have the Android apps.
    Moreover, they would have installed CM already.

webOS needs new hardware in order to survive, not a port of Android apps.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy it.
    People having moved to Android 1-2 years ago would not move back to webOS now, just because an obsolete hardware as the TP may have the Android apps.
    Moreover, they would have installed CM already.

webOS needs new hardware in order to survive, not a port of Android apps.
    so why do you think new users would want a "new" device with nothing but stock apps on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    Most apps on the Google Play store show compatibility for "2.2 and up", so many apps will work. I was trying to search to find some that say a higher version, but all I see are apps that say "Varies with device" so it's very ambiguous. I have found a handful of apps that do require Jelly Bean, so there definitely are apps out there that will not work. My major gripe with Gingerbread compatibility is the quality of the apps never seems to be what I'm hoping for. Even with CM10 dual booting on my Touchpad I would avoid Gingerbread-looking apps like the plague because I had become used to how good webOS apps look. Recent Android apps have gotten better, but there's a reason Android has come such a long way and is so successful in the past 2 years since Gingerbread was out.

Gingerbread Android was a phone-first operating system. The first version that really embraced the tablet form factor was Ice Cream Sandwich. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jelly Bean on the rise as Google adjusts metrics in market share count
    Here are some recent numbers for Android distribution. Gingerbread is still around, but at 39% and falling I would almost guarantee most of those are Android phones that are older and don't have a shot at being upgraded. The Touchpad is a tablet. Nothing more to really say here, other than I just don't see this as being a very good experience, and I haven't seen a single demo video that proves otherwise. That's just my opinion, though.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    bluenote and RumoredNow like this.
    again tho, the issue isnt what WE want or what we feel is important, the big picture is to claw back other people and/or devs who have scrambled to android and left webOS.
    Most devs I know are still making more money on webOS than other platforms...
    geekpeter and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Most devs I know are still making more money on webOS than other platforms...
    this is nice we could still do with more ofc i keep hoping that the fact enyo2 is multiplatform now that 1 day that may happen.
    OldSkoolVWLover and Rnp like this.
    Okay so I guess I will throw my two cents in...

First I understand the feelings both way, and agree with all of them. Thank you Rod for posting a very well thought out response to the community!

If this is successful, my hope would be it can be ported to Open webOS as well. I know this is not a guarantee and cannot be promised by anyone as part of the kickstarter campaign. In the end it would ensure full access to apps that people would want to run Open webOS if it could function in the Open webOS environment. From my understanding there would still need to be some device specific acceleration coded in there.

In the end I would be excited if it included Open webOS and/or webOS 2.x as well. TouchPad already runs Android apps, and from the sound of it to actually use ACL you would be doing more work than dual booting CM, I just saw someone else post that, but haven't seen an explanation of how one would get google play store unless it is included in ACL install package.

We shall see, $9157 currently....