Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    *ahem*

Don't say I didn't tell you not to get your hopes up. ;-)

Yes, this is the "huge" news. Android apps maybe someday on your TouchPad should Phoenix be able to raise the $35,000 supposedly needed to finance the completion of OpenMobile's ACL for the TouchPad. It's up to you if you think that's worth your money.

Personally, I don't. webOS on my TouchPad is two years old. The ACL is built off of Android 2.3 - that's three years old. Neither Phoenix nor OpenMobile at this point have any history of delivering software for webOS, with both talking a big game for some time now. If you think you need to dedicate money to furthering the cause for webOS, I recommend you put your dollars where they can make a difference by helping put Open webOS onto new modern hardware (remember the part where the TouchPad is two years old?) by making a donation to WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports.
    Honestly, it's nice of them to do his for us and I will donate, but it's not something I would be happy with either. But we have been disappointed by the lack of everything for our community and to me even though this is a win and a loss to me I will donate because in time this may or may not lead to bigger and better things so I will take this as a great start. But, Mr Kessler im curious I mean are you not gonna donate?
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Well said, DK.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Honestly, it's nice of them to do his for us and I will donate, but it's not something I would be happy with either. But we have been disappointed by the lack of everything for our community and to me even though this is a win and a loss to me I will donate because in time this may or may not lead to bigger and better things so I will take this as a great start. But, Mr Kessler im curious I mean are you not gonna donate?
    It's not "nice of them." They are shills for scam artists trying to lure you into throwing money at them.

They are not "doing this for us."

Like Derek said: put your money somewhere with visible results - webOS Internals.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Isandunk and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    But, Mr Kessler im curious I mean are you not gonna donate?
    Whether Derek donates or not is irrelevant. He's done more for the webOS community than most of us could imagine.
    MartinH@webos, MAMISHO and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Whether Derek donates or not is irrelevant. He's done more for the webOS community than most of us could imagine.
    Yeah he has and im not knocking that. I just wondered if would donate is all. lol. I mean this is the best case senerio for us. We have a link to the future for us with this.....I mean we donate to this effort and the WebOS internals team finishes the gnex port and gets this running...we have a very damn near perfect upto date version of WebOS with apps and such...so im taking both of these very seriously as they are both needed for this platform to be relevant anymore !!!!
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    I would donate, but I have a Pre3, not a Touchpad.
    If I was going to buy a tablet, I could get an Android one for £50 (or a half decent one for a little over £100).
    Unless this is promised for phones as well, I'm out.

However.... for those who say they don't want Android apps on their webOS devices, how would I get around something like the Canon remote control software for their new DSLRs, that only runs on iOS and Android? That would be worth $30 to me to have up and running in a card on my Pre.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Isandunk and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Sounds good, but is this just on Touchpad. does Open WebOS run these apps aswell so would be able to get it on phones too?
    It could be as simple as rebuilding the software to whatever device is desired, and some patching for Open to launch it (since the Open sysmgr currently doesn't launch native apps)

Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I think the 4+ signifies it supports apps using API Level 4 and up

In my opinion, the TouchPad isn't getting any younger, and a new device is necessary, but this is a great option.
    I don't have a TouchPad, but I hope it isn't going to be limited to solely the TP when it's age catches up.
    I don't think demanding Android 4.x compatibility is even really worth it -- very very very very very few software devs for Android make a version that is incompatible with 2.2 or 2.3, because there are so many more 2.2 and 2.3 devices in the world than there are 4.0 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by shadavis08 View Post
    Touchpads are all but dead aren't they? O_o there can't be that many out there.
    What webOS needs is new hardware or the ability to port to new hardware, period. This news does nothing for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    *ahem*

Don't say I didn't tell you not to get your hopes up. ;-)

Yes, this is the "huge" news. Android apps maybe someday on your TouchPad should Phoenix be able to raise the $35,000 supposedly needed to finance the completion of OpenMobile's ACL for the TouchPad. It's up to you if you think that's worth your money.

Personally, I don't. webOS on my TouchPad is two years old. The ACL is built off of Android 2.3 - that's three years old. Neither Phoenix nor OpenMobile at this point have any history of delivering software for webOS, with both talking a big game for some time now. If you think you need to dedicate money to furthering the cause for webOS, I recommend you put your dollars where they can make a difference by helping put Open webOS onto new modern hardware (remember the part where the TouchPad is two years old?) by making a donation to WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports.
    I'll put something down, although I did ask about intents for involving Open webOS, as there is the future of webOS, whereas we're all sitting in the past on our TouchPads.

On the other hand, I've still got 3 TouchPads that are operating in pretty much perfect condition, as far as I can tell, their battery levels are nearly as perfect as they were the day we opened their boxes, and I'm still quite happy with using them.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    cujoq37 and Rnp like this.
    Here is the question, Will the ACL eventually work on openwebOS? If not, why should we dontate. webOS ports is working to move webOS on to new devices so we all need to ask our selves if we want new hardware or apps first? I think we are going to all have different views on which is more important.
    Also I will donate nothing until PIC actually releases completed software as advertised on there website.
    phxsoftware.PNG
    PHX maps is not a finished product

If I got what I want, they would not be working with openmobileww, I think they may just be milking PIC.

To me, I see we need both, new Hardware and apps. I think it would be smarter to invest 17500 to webOS internals and 17500 to someone to get ACL on openwebOS.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Here is the question, Will the ACL eventually work on openwebOS? If not, why should we dontate. webOS ports is working to move webOS on to new devices so we all need to ask our selves if we want new hardware or apps first? I think we are going to all have different views on which is more important.
    Also I will donate nothing until PIC actually releases completed software as advertised on there website.
    phxsoftware.PNG
    PHX maps is not a finished product

If I got what I want, they would not be working with openmobileww, I think they may just be milking PIC.

To me, I see we need both, new Hardware and apps. I think it would be smarter to invest 17500 to webOS internals and 17500 to someone to get ACL on openwebOS.
    If it can be installed as an app on the closed-source WebOS 3.0.5 on the touchpad, it WILL run on Open webOS.
    Here is the question, Will the ACL eventually work on openwebOS? If not, why should we dontate. webOS ports is working to move webOS on to new devices
    to be fair the ports are for newer devices not new ones, the important part isnt that their trying to get support for new devices but that they ensure support for open devices that are still available to buy.

but the current targets are not "new", nothing is new if your constantly playing catch up.

The touchpad is good enough its just unavailable to buy in a simple way.

Also the alternative to ACL weve had for ages thanks to Chomper and hsi android in a card project, it just never got taken up and expanded on by others apart from that russian dev who tried it on the pre3. The tech and ideas are out there, they just need talented people who can utilise it all, but thats also a big time grind and a lot fo devs simply cant devote huge amounts of time to projects like that.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    If it can be installed as an app on the closed-source WebOS 3.0.5 on the touchpad, it WILL run on Open webOS.
    That's not really true. Open webOS right now only runs web apps, and there's a lot more stuff in 3.0.5 than there is in Open. However, it probably wouldn't be a difficult thing to do on their end, unless it requires something special in 3.0.5 or is somehow binary dependent to the touchpad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Also how much will the ACL cost to us after completion? It cost 30 bucks for backers but how much when it is released?
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Also how much will the ACL cost to us after completion? It cost 30 bucks for backers but how much when it is released?
    "if"
    I'd be willing to pay $30 for a finished & working ACL right now. But giving away 30 bucks just for the reiterated promise to get ACL in a few months? Are you kidding?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    I'd be willing to pay $30 for a finished & working ACL right now. But giving away 30 bucks just for the reiterated promise to get ACL in a few months? Are you kidding?
    yeah sounds like their hoping more will roll in via kickstarter than what they would normally aquire through the app catalogue, their original "issue" was that they needed permission or access to parts of webOS to make their app work correctly, then they could release it for sale yet it never happened back when it mattered most.

and here we are ages later and silently the "issue" seems to have vanished and worked out yet its not on the app market for sale which when you think about it would have been the far simpler route.

they waited too logn and have too much mistrust to bypass, ittl make for some interesting reading tho, at least we wont be short of news/forum replys coming up to the kickstarter projects final days, then well get some actual replys from people who get to trial it before release "IF" it happens at all.
    The only reason that this announcement is not massively disappointing to me is that I had no high expectation. It was made by a group with very low credibility and does nothing for the future of webOS.

If you want to donate in support of webOS, WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports would be much more effective use of your money.
    Doo Doo da, dee dee dee, is all I have to say about this

Utter crap and nonsense

If webOS is gonna come back from the dead LG needs to step in

Donate all you want to PIC, open mobile, webOS internals, webOS ports... It doesn't matter anymore without real supported, newly produced hardware with devs support for WebOS (not android) and an app ecosystem and advertising... And at this point it can only come from LG or any other big company that uses the open OS

People know my reputation on these forums and my absolute love for webOS but this "news" is just maddening

This is what it's come down to.

Utter sadness

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    the 35k smells really fishy to me

probably so it isn't as blatant as... http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...nseao1_500.png
    Last edited by xandros9; 04/28/2013 at 09:06 PM.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    RumoredNow likes this.
    6 months or so ago, wasn't the majority opinion that they should kickstarter it if they needed more funds to get it going?

I like the idea that they're trying to recoup more than what they can from the catalog, there certainly aren't 500-800,000 touchpad users out there anymore. Seems pretty reasonable, actually. But still as I said in the other thread, 35k would pay a programmer for about 3 months.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Rnp likes this.
    Back from the weekend and what must I see?

I was spot on with my guess, that PIC is involved in this "huge" news.

I am not sure, what I shall think of it. I haven't heared or seen much of PIC and even less of ACL except for promises and funny little twitter-prosa ...
    Am I trusty enough to pay some money for something that might not come true?
    Am I desperate enough?

Let us look at what we, the community, really can do for our beloved OS...
    Some can code. Seems to me, most of those are involved in porting OWOS somehow.
    All the others can donate, buy apps where available and cheer up the coders by telling them how awesome they are.

My coding days ended somewhere in the 90s of the last century. So donating and cheering is what is left to me. But whom do I cheer for, to whom do I donate the little, hard earned money I have left for something like that?

Apps are the fuel on which modern mobile OSs thrive. I would like to get more apps on my TP, even from Android BUT:
    Gingerbread? Nah ... that's already stale.
    PIC and ACL don't really have a track record of acomplishing things for WebOS, as far as I know.

So I am torn apart between: Apps? YEAH gimme gimme.... and ... PIC? ACL? Meh ...

I need to let that sink in a bit...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    geekpeter, RumoredNow and Rnp like this.