Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 466
Like Tree389Likes
  1. #361  
    Good news, but Im not interested at all. Because I don't have a Touchpad
  2. #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    API Level 4 is Android DONUT. Most people don't even remember what that was like, but it was awful. If you want to provide Android compatibility, don't provide old a** Android. To compare, the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.x versions are API level 17. This, along with the fact they aren't exactly blowing us away with these demos make me worried that OpenMobile is too far behind the times to matter.
    I think the 4+ signifies it supports apps using API Level 4 and up

    In my opinion, the TouchPad isn't getting any younger, and a new device is necessary, but this is a great option.
    I don't have a TouchPad, but I hope it isn't going to be limited to solely the TP when it's age catches up.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  3. #363  
    Again, I see your point.

    However, as ACL on webOS was mothballed... (2 years ago?) , I assume this spec is 2 years old - but it's also likely the spec hasn't been updated.

    As a non-programmer, my second assumption is that ACL provides 2 functions: an Android runtime & and interface to webOS 3.05. If it is already running, then the only major update is the runtime itself (3.05 is also 2 years old, no updates due). How big a job would that be? I see little point in iteration. Presumably, PIC would leap-frog to the latest version.

    My third assumption is that this won't be open source. If it were, the likes of xdadevelopers would probably bring it up to speed pretty quickly. The question here is: Are PIC basically paying ACL to finish the job or do they have the software in house with an abilty to upgrade it, even if that's under license?

    Maybe PIC want to chip in here with some details?
  4. #364  
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    why keep holding on to an obsolete piece of hardware?
    Instead, break webos out of the touchpad shell and into literally anything else that is actually being sold these days...
    lots say that but how exactly is it obsolete? beyond screenres which isnt a big deal its got everything new stuff has and more.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5. #365  
    Maybe this will take ACL from no chance to slim chance. I'm not going to hold my breath.
    kevets, xandros9 and johncc like this.
  6. #366  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Sorry, not interested.
    I would have installed CM a long time ago if I've felt the need.
    again tho, the issue isnt what WE want or what we feel is important, the big picture is to claw back other people and/or devs who have scrambled to android and left webOS.

    a mobile OS/device cant somehow survice with a handful of people, you need MORE for webOS to gain traction with others and if we like it or not android apps are the exact reason a lot left webOS to begin with for pastures greener.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    sledge007 likes this.
  7. #367  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    I think PIC sees this as a strategic first step in getting more awareness and maybe more people interested in webOS again, for when they want to build new hardware

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    which is more than HP ever amounted too at their brief best.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8. #368  
    To little to late... sorry but that's the truth...

    We need no less than webOS 3.0 on a phone, and that's already dated by 2 years.... God all I can say is that HP sucks... sigh...
  9. #369  
    Whilst I am not fussed about ACL whatsoever, if it brings people back to the platform then that is a good start. It is heartening to see people want to put effort into webOS and generate interest in it.

    35 grand does seem like a high target though. I don't doubt the value of a programmer's work, but consider that (if memory serves) the last two webathons generated ~$28k in total, on two occassions in as many years, to a well established and proven organisation - webOS internals.
  10. #370  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I think the 4+ signifies it supports apps using API Level 4 and up

    In my opinion, the TouchPad isn't getting any younger, and a new device is necessary, but this is a great option.
    I don't have a TouchPad, but I hope it isn't going to be limited to solely the TP when it's age catches up.
    That is convenient, but with the nature of Android, wouldnt you want to show the highest version you are compatible with? 4+ is ambiguous and doesn't really tell us much. I hope I'm wrong, but knowing where BlackBerry is at with their runtime I have no reason to believe that open mobile is further ahead with their work.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  11. #371  
    I guarantee they wouldn't be stating 4+ if they were as far along as Blackberry is. You tout how far along you are not how far back you support.
  12. #372  
    I knew all this was coming but just the general info. Didn't know the company they were getting in bed with was openmobile. Guess I should not have made the chriswilliams and openmobile joke the other day. The one problem I have is that PIC has not actually released any software other then there PHX Maps which has not got a single update and is still in beta.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  13. #373  
    Quote Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
    Whilst I am not fussed about ACL whatsoever, if it brings people back to the platform then that is a good start. It is heartening to see people want to put effort into webOS and generate interest in it.

    35 grand does seem like a high target though. I don't doubt the value of a programmer's work, but consider that (if memory serves) the last two webathons generated ~$28k in total, on two occassions in as many years, to a well established and proven organisation - webOS internals.
    its not much when you look at other projects, take a simple "game" like elite, its current incarnation bagged a starting amount of 1.7 million on kickstarter then an ongoing amount from paypal donations on their own site.

    thats just 1 single game.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  14. #374  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Sounds good, but is this just on Touchpad. does Open WebOS run these apps aswell so would be able to get it on phones too?
    Is this perhaps now a good 'excuse' to work to bring 3.0.5 to the Pre3 anyway?


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  15. #375  
    HP oughta give the Pivot app one last update when this comes out, just to advertise ACL.
  16. #376  
    Touchpads are all but dead aren't they? O_o there can't be that many out there.
    What webOS needs is new hardware or the ability to port to new hardware, period. This news does nothing for me.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    MDsmartphone likes this.
  17. #377  
    I have a Touchpad but I hardly use it anymore. It still works but the screen just feels so yesterday with the 1024x768 res. Honestly I feel deflated after all the fanfare in the build up. A working port of Open webOS to a very popular device (IP5, GS3/4, GN4, One) would have been nice.
    MartinH@webos and gabriel like this.
  18. #378  
    Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

    I wouldn't give Open Mobile monopoly money to play with, let alone real $$$.

    Their track record is thus: lie a lot about how imminent things are, smile real wide and act excited, cart around some demo videos of an alpha.

    They have claimed on their website for months that ACL is "available today" for webOS, for MeeGo, for Windows, for Ubuntu, for Tizen... Read their website. Look at their Datasheets. Notice the present tense language of all that is a done deal, accomplished fact, usable product that you can have right here and now. Then try and find a product that they have released to an OEM or a consumer.

    All just lies. Not marketing hype. Outright fabrications that bear no semblance to reality. They lie knowingly, slyly and maliciously. Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

    Shame on Phoenix International Communications for passing around a donation basket to hand to these hucksters.

    Shame on anyone who donates one penny to this.

    As they say: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

    DON'T BE THE FOOL WHO GETS SHAMED BY CONTRIBUTING TO THIS VAPORWARE.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    johncc likes this.
  19. #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadavis08 View Post
    Touchpads are all but dead aren't they? O_o there can't be that many out there.
    What webOS needs is new hardware or the ability to port to new hardware, period. This news does nothing for me.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe see the WebOS Community as 'Lab Rats' in this instance? - Whoops, sorry!

    But there are *probably* 750,000 TP's of the nearly 1 mill produced, still alive out there - (even if most of them do already spent much of their their time in CM9/10!).

    This is therefore at least a 'start' - Google will know how many Apps are then downloaded directly into WebOS.. if it looks convincing, then could come the 'new' Hardware and possibly a contageous Porting to 'other' devices as a result!

    It does have potential - in the coming months of course!


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  20. #380  
    *ahem*
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    A word of advice: dial back your expectations a bit and look into the past...
    Don't say I didn't tell you not to get your hopes up. ;-)

    Yes, this is the "huge" news. Android apps maybe someday on your TouchPad should Phoenix be able to raise the $35,000 supposedly needed to finance the completion of OpenMobile's ACL for the TouchPad. It's up to you if you think that's worth your money.

    Personally, I don't. webOS on my TouchPad is two years old. The ACL is built off of Android 2.3 - that's three years old. Neither Phoenix nor OpenMobile at this point have any history of delivering software for webOS, with both talking a big game for some time now. If you think you need to dedicate money to furthering the cause for webOS, I recommend you put your dollars where they can make a difference by helping put Open webOS onto new modern hardware (remember the part where the TouchPad is two years old?) by making a donation to WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Similar Threads

  1. big tethering news
    By mtiberio in forum North American Carriers (CDMA)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08/11/2012, 05:02 PM
  2. Big news from Palm - Email
    By morrison0880 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07/02/2010, 08:20 AM
  3. Big news from Palm!!!! (or not)
    By kd0axs in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07/02/2010, 06:45 AM
  4. How about a text from Precentral on big news?
    By Homie in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01/07/2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions