Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
    Sigh.. This doesn't get me back to a webOS phone as my daily driver. Not convinced it will happen either.
    I'd rather see this on a phone than a touchpad, but I'll support the cause to help keep webOS alive. Maybe LG will take notice.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Can't say I'm interested since they are specifically targeting the TouchPad, still a laptop and desktop believer.

Sorry, count me out.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    pcworld and xandros9 like this.
    They really should read the definition of Vaporware:
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware]Vaporware Wikipedia[/URL]
    Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.
    It is Vaporware.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Done: D and this my contribution, insurance will be easy to port to mobile versions, we can always count webosinternal or ports
    Quote Originally Posted by Onanii View Post
    Btw any news on the petition?are we there yet?
    2106. that's just over 10% of the admittedly arbitary target set by the person who created it.

I'm afraid signings have slowed to a trickle lately - less than 1 per day.

However, I think if every signatory put in $16.62 (go on, call it $20!) then that's the kick starter target.

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

On the other hand, what's $35,000 / Touchpad owners?

It's the price of an expensive app, but then it's a gateway to a lot more apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I'd rather see this on a phone than a touchpad, but I'll support the cause to help keep webOS alive. Maybe LG will take notice.
    Would definatly help their webOS "TV" idea if they had an interest in more apps.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications &mdash; Kickstarter

Seriously? This is my worst case scenario I was talking about. Not exciting news
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    pcworld and laoh like this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    why keep holding on to an obsolete piece of hardware?
    Instead, break webos out of the touchpad shell and into literally anything else that is actually being sold these days...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that touchpad w.O.S. (3.05) is the basis for OpenwebOS, so there's a good chance that PIC/ACL on touchpad = on OWOS too... or at least an easy port. But what do i know and what hardware will run OwOS - I mean properly, with full device functionality.

Also, yes, maybe not a big leap onto the TV as well - unless TVwOS and OwOS are seriously forking which seems unlikely given it's basically the same team at gram doing both...

Cross compatibilty is always a good selling point. On of the things windows got right was being able to run your legacy programs on the latest version - though I think that may have stopped now.
    great news as far as I'm concerned , really you should be happy we have got something
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sorry, not interested.
    I would have installed CM a long time ago if I've felt the need.
    jrb363 likes this.
    A breakthrough with open webos porting would be super exciting. This on the other hand is the dead horse we've seen beaten over and over again come back to life as a zombie.

jrb363 likes this.
    I have a hardly used anymore TP sitting around. I was thinking about doctoring it. This could work for me.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    A breakthrough with open webos porting would be super exciting. This on the other hand is the dead horse we've seen beaten over and over again come back to life as a zombie.
    Port it to an iPhone5, SGS4, HTC One, Blackberry Z10, (Insert flagship phone flavor of the month here) and without any apps, it will appeal only to a select few. Include the apps and there's a possibility, albeit a slight one, that it will appeal to more.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    geekpeter likes this.
    I see your point, but then what part of this story isn't kind of 'zombie'? We have zombie hardware running a zombie OS and accessing a zombie app catalogue.

There are a few 'if's here, but getting this on a touchpad injects life to one part of the ecosystem. Many here argue that one factor limiting further take up of webOS is the lack of apps and there is a vicious circle of no one developing for webOS because of the limited user base and users avoiding webOS due to lack of apps.

If ACL can move to the webOS versions that are in development, then part of that vicious circle is broken: webOS will have the official app catalogue, Preware and Android market. That might be more apps than any other system...
    This is a distraction and not something we should be wasting our time with. Is there any evidence that OpenMobile ACL is anywhere even remotely close to recent as far as Android compatibility?

Look at this...
    http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS_3.pdf

Then look at this...
    Dashboards | Android Developers

I've read a lot about OpenMobile and seen the video - not getting a whole lot of DETAILS from people though. All I see in the PDF is
    Supports Android API Level 4+, NDK6+
    API Level 4 is Android DONUT. Most people don't even remember what that was like, but it was awful. If you want to provide Android compatibility, don't provide old a** Android. To compare, the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.x versions are API level 17. This, along with the fact they aren't exactly blowing us away with these demos make me worried that OpenMobile is too far behind the times to matter.

BlackBerry, who has their Android Runtime, and you would think a group of engineers working on it, is still at the Gingerbread level of compatibility. Frankly, it's a crappy experience, and I think it'll continue to be that way until it's updated in later versions.
    Release roadmap - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer

I'm also a little frustrated with PIC for putting their energy behind this. Unless they know something I don't... people are not going to give a flying truck about ancient Android compatibility. Let's all switch back to Windows Me while we're at it! Focus on something that matters and would truly excite people by getting Open webOS running on more hardware!

[/rant]
    Last edited by kevets; 04/28/2013 at 09:43 AM.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I think PIC sees this as a strategic first step in getting more awareness and maybe more people interested in webOS again, for when they want to build new hardware

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Supports Android API Level 4+, NDK6+
    [rant]API Level 4 is Android DONUT. Most people don't even remember what that was like, but it was awful. If you want to provide Android compatibility, don't provide old a** Android. To compare, the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.x versions are API level 17. This, along with the fact they aren't exactly blowing us away with these demos make me worried that OpenMobile is too far behind the times to matter.[/rant]
    Not defending the ACL (or the kickstarer-project) because I'm still skeptical (and the kickstarter info and commercial are pretty dreadful in my opinion)...but...if they say they'll support android API level 4+ doesn't that mean it will support the api's 4 and upwards; in which case it would also support level 17.

that being said: still have to gather my thoughts about this (but I do know that I don't like the android keyboard).