Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree389Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnDap View Post
    I'm not sure what LG's numbers are on Android sales, but using their brand name to further the webOS cause wouldn't be a bad idea. Samsung clearly is the new Android king, if by nothing but sheer volume. Motorola could overtake them with the work they're doing since being purchased by Google. I'd love to see a new webOS device. Hell, maybe there's a smartwatch coming.
    Problem with Motorola is their current customer base are **sholes. Constantly bugging Motorola for updates, then trading their Motorola in for an HTC only to find out they have to wait for months on HTC to get their update because they are updating devices one by one. And now Motorola is finally giving more updates and people are still complaining.

And I know how those people are because I'm a Motorola user since around 2000 until the HP Pre 3 came around (actually, the Palm Pre but I couldn't import it back then so I couldn't move to webOS back then ).
    mattmers likes this.
    Here are my entirely uneducated guesses at what it could be:

1. HP will officially be either providing support to port OpenWebOS to the HP Slate 7 (Which coincidentally went on sale today) or porting webOS Pro themselves as an optional aftermarket install.

2. HP offering Slate discounts to anyone who owns a TouchPad

3. ACL is finally ready for release and will be on the App Catalog in "coming months"
    ewl88 likes this.
    Ugh number 2 sounds horrible, but I wouldn't be surprised
    That gives me a sick feeling. The Slate 7 is not an exciting device at all. 3MP camera, 1GB RAM? Literally the only selling point would it be running Open webOS.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Ugh number 2 sounds horrible, but I wouldn't be surprised
    I can't see that happening to be honest. A LOT of the TouchPad owners are firesale owners in which HP dumped a lot of money into to liquidate, now you're saying they are putting MORE money to get people to get a device that they KNOW it's a me-too device? I honestly can't see the Slate being a serious attempt to get market share or anything, just an "oh the other guys have something we should have something like that on our shelves too".
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I can't see that happening to be honest. A LOT of the TouchPad owners are firesale owners in which HP dumped a lot of money into to liquidate, now you're saying they are putting MORE money to get people to get a device that they KNOW it's a me-too device? I honestly can't see the Slate being a serious attempt to get market share or anything, just an "oh the other guys have something we should have something like that on our shelves too".
    I'm just saying remember how many people dumped 500 or 600 and then never got their $50 rebate or their $50 app credit? I got both of mine, so no complaints here, but I remember many reports of problems getting both.

They could always even extend it to only pre firesale owners. Like I said not saying it will happen but I could see them doing it, wouldn't be the first time they made similar moves that only further upset the community.
    Maybe this

LG Cloud rolling out in over 40 more countries by late May

And with that our webOS profiles will move into the LG cloud. Would be nice.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Maybe LG's TV division that licensed it just got webOS properly ported to one of their smart tvs. Along with all the cloud announcements and updated code sets being published, maybe LG will announce a TV with webOS that is the backbone to their cloud service.
    might have something to do with Zenith Electronics (TV company purchased by LG) and Open webOS

this job was posted on the Openwebosproject.org today https://jobs-lgeusa.icims.com/jobs/2164/job
    Last edited by zackawee27; 04/26/2013 at 05:46 PM.
    kevets likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It would actually make sense from a PRPRPR $standpoint$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $if$ $HP$ $is$ $considering$ $a$ $serious$ $commitment$ $to$ $Android$. $A$ $discount$ $on$ $the$ $Slate$ $7$ $would$ $have$ $the$ $dual$ $purpose$ $of$ $artificially$ $inflating$ $early$ $sales$ $numbers$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $keeping$ $TouchPad$ $owners$ $that$ $are$ $looking$ $at$ $moving$ $to$ $android$ $in$ $the$ $HP$ $product$ $base$. $The$ $earlier$ $looking$ $good$ $in$ $a$ $press$ $release$ $and$ $the$ $latter$ $in$ $fostering$ $brand$ $loyalty$ ($even$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $artificial$). $Tablets$ $are$ $basically$ $treated$ $as$ $disposable$ $computers$ $by$ $much$ $of$ $the$ $market$ $these$ $days$ $and$ $when$ $consumers$ $are$ $looking$ $for$ $their$ $next$ $tablet$ $they$'$re$ $more$ $likely$ $to$ $invest$ $in$ $a$ $new$ $iteration$ $from$ $the$ $same$ $OEM$ $than$ $experimenting$ $with$ $unfamiliar$ $hardware$.

And all that at a relatively low investment. If this is the case, it's likely a discount would be limited to only the markup cost making the sale a wash from a revenue standpoint but arguably worth it when HP releases the next iteration.
    I haven't read every post because of the sheer numbers but I'm sure you're ALL WRONG! I'm a direct descendant of Karnak The Magnificent and I know for sure that the announcement revolves around the fact that HP is shutting down all the Palm servers. But to appease the rioting masses, they've located and abducted Leo Apotheker and will be bringing him to Times Square. There, he'll be tied to a street light and we'll all be able to pelt him with our now-worthless devices. Whoever lands a Nolan Ryan fastball on his nuts gets a free TouchPad!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I haven't read every post because of the sheer numbers but I'm sure you're ALL WRONG! I'm a direct descendant of Karnak The Magnificent and I know for sure that the announcement revolves around the fact that HP is shutting down all the Palm servers. But to appease the rioting masses, they've located and abducted Leo Apotheker and will be bringing him to Times Square. There, he'll be tied to a street light and we'll all be able to pelt him with our now-worthless devices. Whoever lands a Nolan Ryan fastball on his nuts gets a free TouchPad!
    WOW I didn't even consider this!
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brok3n Halo View Post
    It would actually make sense from a PRPRPR $standpoint$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $if$ $HP$ $is$ $considering$ $a$ $serious$ $commitment$ $to$ $Android$. $A$ $discount$ $on$ $the$ $Slate$ $7$ $would$ $have$ $the$ $dual$ $purpose$ $of$ $artificially$ $inflating$ $early$ $sales$ $numbers$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $keeping$ $TouchPad$ $owners$ $that$ $are$ $looking$ $at$ $moving$ $to$ $android$ $in$ $the$ $HP$ $product$ $base$. $The$ $earlier$ $looking$ $good$ $in$ $a$ $press$ $release$ $and$ $the$ $latter$ $in$ $fostering$ $brand$ $loyalty$ ($even$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $artificial$). $Tablets$ $are$ $basically$ $treated$ $as$ $disposable$ $computers$ $by$ $much$ $of$ $the$ $market$ $these$ $days$ $and$ $when$ $consumers$ $are$ $looking$ $for$ $their$ $next$ $tablet$ $they$'$re$ $more$ $likely$ $to$ $invest$ $in$ $a$ $new$ $iteration$ $from$ $the$ $same$ $OEM$ $than$ $experimenting$ $with$ $unfamiliar$ $hardware$.

And all that at a relatively low investment. If this is the case, it's likely a discount would be limited to only the markup cost making the sale a wash from a revenue standpoint but arguably worth it when HP releases the next iteration.
    The slate 7 costs $167. There is no way they will be selling it for less to appease webOS users. It's as low cost as they could make it in an attempt to get some kind of tablet presence...
    the idea of dualbooting or discounting their new android crap doesnt sound feasable anyways, even if they were that mad why would any webOS user want or buy it, given that open webOS or even classic webOS has a stagnant app market and they have already made sure that 99% of the remainder of devs went to pastures greener.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    The slate 7 costs $167. There is no way they will be selling it for less to appease webOS users. It's as low cost as they could make it in an attempt to get some kind of tablet presence...
    lowest cost...

Not, that tablet with it's specs from 2010, cost $40 to make... If I can get a tablet from China, with same specs for $40... I will wait for the official companies who break things down tell me how much it will cost... But I am guessing $40...

Like the touchpad, all over priced, there is a demand, there is a supply, but at $169.99, it won't sell...
    i know this is kind of off topic but, is Open webOS 1.2. ever going to come out, or are they just going to keep calling it Open webOS 1.0 but keep updating it
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the idea of dualbooting or discounting their new android crap doesnt sound feasable anyways, even if they were that mad why would any webOS user want or buy it, given that open webOS or even classic webOS has a stagnant app market and they have already made sure that 99% of the remainder of devs went to pastures greener.
    There was a dev posting here that his sales still are higher than BB and Android combined, and I saw another on twitter... and this was very recently, so yeah if HP can still pull 30% of a much higher margin I wouldn't be surprised of the dualbooting either. I'm just being honest in an unbiased way. My wife boots Android pretty much daily on her TP, we pay for NO Android apps, they are time killers, 30% of $100 is still $30 buck in webOS.

I still don't claim to truly know anything on this... ACL paying a percentage to HP could be possible, or whatever there contract with google could also give reason to giving a discount on the slate 7. Google could be offering a percentage of apps bought by slate 7 devices going back to HP, and HP wants to move forward, if you own a TP getting a discount on a slate with a kick back to google for buying an Android device could cover some loss from firesale, loss on production etc.

Just saying in marketing, contracts, and NDA, any of these are technically possible... HP is looking to regain market share in what many have said to be a dying market. Every possible concept I have posted on or about in this thread I believe it a real possibility.
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Is this BIG news supposed to Happen on Saturday or Sunday?????
    BB10 is still just at the gingerbread level for their Android runtime. If in some alternate reality open webos had an ACL that was jelly bean compatible and leapfrog BB10, that would be an interesting development indeed. No ETA yet on the new runtime on the BlackBerry side, but I imagine once the 10.1 software release is out it will become a top priority. Hopefully.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    but be sure any of it will be there "in the coming months"