Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Since webOS news is slow to come by recently, I have taken to touring the android community and have been visiting sites such as Android Central and the XDA forums. (dumbest n00b video ever by the way) Anyway, I was shocked and surprised to see our very own Derek featured at the top of Android Central tonight. You can read the article here:

I hate the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger | Android Central

It's a great article and I agree with all of his points. Have a great night everyone!
    Last edited by jrb363; 04/11/2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Update
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
    its amazing a company cant see ahead when they have had time to play with alternatives that have been around longer, cant be hard to test them and find the good/bad points and perfect their own in the modern day.

weird.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its amazing a company cant see ahead when they have had time to play with alternatives that have been around longer, cant be hard to test them and find the good/bad points and perfect their own in the modern day.

weird.
    I hope that with Google now having Matias Duarte he will whip them into shape. (with hardware and software optimizations) I have high hopes with regards to Key Lime Pie and I would love to see them incorporate a lot more of web OS into daily use. Heck, I wonder if it would be possible for LG to put a full-on webOS based skin on top of android. As powerful is hardware is getting these days I don't see why it would be a problem. Look at what Amazon has done with the Kindle Fire, it doesn't look anything like Android. If LG did this I would probably die of happiness.
    Derek is correct of course.. yes!

The wieght of any (magnetically or otherwise) coupled inductive charger is vital when removing or accurately placing the phone!
    Also, as he observes, the Pre3's back cover is not a good fit (nor, in my opinion, is it held at an ergonomically efficient working angle) on the old standard Palm Touchstone unit.

The HP 'Touchstone 2 Audio Dock' (that Derek also originally 'reviewed' - Review: HP Touchstone 2 Audio Dock | webOS Nation ) may have rectified this.. but they are too rare (and expensive) for most of us now.

So, I am producing a prototype 'Touchstone 1.5' desk-stand more suitable for the Pre3 and utilising the standard Palm wireless charger, slightly modified.. (Pix attached).

If one first carefully files a vertical radius curve into the plastic rim/face of the existing Palm unit to follow the Pre3's form (and they are cheap and common enough to have a couple of 'gos' at this if you require!), it's x 4 magnets then stick to it like a Limpet - either way up - and even turning the entire unit upside down doesn't then cause it to lose it's magnetic grip!

The stand itself is formed from heavy steel plate with the 'sticky' foam pad (that used to live on the base of the Palm charger) underneath it instead - and it doesn't flinch when you stab at or pluck the phone from it!

Will post pics of finished unit here when fully complete, so please forgive trial sticky tape & rust etc!
    But you get the general 'idea' anyway!
    ..And it seems to work well.

Yes - Palm got it right in the first place.. and Leo didn't quite manage follow up on it - as we have long known!

~~~~~~

EDIT: Later -

Here are some 'finished item' Pics as promised.

So, after a bit of 'sculpting' with an angle grinder I reached a shape that is kinda 'Retro' and I hope pleasing to the eye also.
    The functionality remains excellent.. it is heavy enough to be totally stable, whilst offering a comfortable viewing and working positions.

I also filed a 'Landscape' scollop into the Palm Touchstone to suit the Pre3, which is really usefull.. and holds very well to the existing magnets..
    And also ended up using some not quite so 'sticky' self adhesive soft rubber padding from local hardware under the base, so it doesn't slide on, or scratch surfaces.

By laying the 'Touchstone 1.5' on it's back, a shallower working angle is obtained, which I have found ideal for keyboard gaming etc too!

Also, I couldn't resist slicing the 'Palm' logo off the top of one of my Pre wall chargers and putting a fake stainless steel mesh 'ventilation grille'' in the USB slot! - "Artistic Licence"!

Total cost was about $10.. and rough hewn from a piece of scrap angle iron!

Whilst fabricating it, I saw that something like it and using this as a pattern, could be easily produced in numbers, from two pieces of laser-cut Stainless Steel plate or similar.

One as the 'base' with a slot in it to take a press-fit and second 'upright' section.
    Tha latter's locating tab could also contain a small slot to house (and feed the USB cable to the rear of the unit), before it was then inserted into the base plate.
    I had to drill this cable conduit..

Then all that remains, is to glue your $5 Palm Puck to it!
    - If anyone is REALLY interested I could look into that as a possibility..
    A cheap effective 'Touchstone 1.5' Charging Dock - without Audio!
    (Dammit - just use the 3.5mm Audio Jack Socket in the top of your Pre3!).

EDIT #2. Even later:

(Now with Audio!)

This unit now also has x 8 rare-earth magnets fitted into the Pre3 back cover.
    Please see here: make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better @ #102 + Pic below.
    It has a very positive location on the charger now!

Also a Bluetooth Audio Reciever Module now added!
    Please see here: HP Touchstone 2 available @ #81 + Pic below.
    This runs smoothly and pairs easily!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/22/2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Picture Update..

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    geekpeter and jrb363 like this.
    The Touchstone2 dock was going to retail around $50 and was 2 weeks into beta testing when HP killed everything off. It did fit the Pre3 perfectly and was nice looking when used.
    Vistaus, Mutoidi, Rnp and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The Touchstone2 dock was going to retail around $50 and was 2 weeks into beta testing when HP killed everything off. It did fit the Pre3 perfectly and was nice looking when used.

'Weep!' 'Gnash Teeth!'

Still sounds as if the T2 could have done with a bit of 'lead-shot' loaded into the base to fully stabilise it?
    T'was even lighter than the Palm Puck's die-cast chssis I hear!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/12/2013 at 07:05 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    geekpeter and kevets like this.
    What really sucked is that they had us send our testing units back to them.
    What really sucked is that they had us send our testing units back to them.

Hmm.. perhaps in hindsight what REALLY sucked, is that you even bothered sending them back.. particularly in the light of the farce that then shortly ensued!
    (Maybe you've still got one hiding under your bed - betta check!).

HelloNNNewman and jrb363 like this.
    Hi!

My favorite part of that article? Whipping the Nexus-can-do-no-wrong crowd into an absolute tizzy.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Hi!

My favorite part of that article? Whipping the Nexus-can-do-no-wrong crowd into an absolute tizzy.
    Derek, I found the comment section especially hilarious. You get two thumbs up from me for the article lol.
    Grabber5.0 and cbosdell like this.
    Some of those comments are hilariously upset. The fan boyz of that device are rabid about some points. haha
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I think I'm going to look at what it would take to put a pre touchstone back inside a nexus 4 (including magnets) to replace the Qi charging coil.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think I'm going to look at what it would take to put a pre touchstone back inside a nexus 4 (including magnets) to replace the Qi charging coil.

-- Rod
    at least you would end up a perfect candidate to make a real world comparison between an original and modded variant.

People could argue about the theoretical side forever but once someone owns something thats real instead of theory then a "proper" comparison is undesputable.

really would like to read an honest comparison, maybe proper phone makers would take hints if the pre variant ended up being even moderatly better and if its not then at least we would know for definate.
    Here's the initial info needed to put a Palm Pre/Pre+/Pre2 touchpad coil in a Nexus 4.

You can follow the progress at the Nexus 4 Touchstone Mod, part 1: http://t.co/pp7JxBozWu

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/13/2013 at 02:44 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp and jrb363 like this.
    It's on Android Cntral now. I'm hoping this goes well.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Some of those comments are hilariously upset. The fan boyz of that device are rabid about some points. haha
    Holy cow, you aren't kidding. They start off reasonable, but then it becomes an almost endless, expanding echo of "WHY ARE YOU SUCH A FILTHY PIG, DEREK? CLEAN IT!" As already pointed out, Palm demonstrated you shouldn't have to.

Pleased to see there are webOS refugees on their backing up Derek, though. The TouchStone design is pretty brilliant compared to what's described in that Qi charger. Would definitely be hard to look back if you're used to Palm's solution.

One person did note the lack of magnets may be due to the compass in the Nexus 4. Would that actually be any concern, Rod?
    jrb363 likes this.
    Also, just to be clear, I thought the magnets were in the TS and that the plugs in the phone were just magnetic (but not magnetized) metal?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    One person did note the lack of magnets may be due to the compass in the Nexus 4.
    Nexus lack of magnets to hold phone to charger may also be due to a fat Palm Patent sitting on it?
    See if LG got that one!

ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Holy cow, you aren't kidding. They start off reasonable, but then it becomes an almost endless, expanding echo of "WHY ARE YOU SUCH A FILTHY PIG, DEREK? CLEAN IT!" As already pointed out, Palm demonstrated you shouldn't have to.

Pleased to see there are webOS refugees on their backing up Derek, though. The TouchStone design is pretty brilliant compared to what's described in that Qi charger. Would definitely be hard to look back if you're used to Palm's solution.

One person did note the lack of magnets may be due to the compass in the Nexus 4. Would that actually be any concern, Rod?
    read what you said and thought id take another gander at that article, it all seemed reasonable when i first looked and yeah your right, heh, some weird developments in there, ranging from telling derek to get a life,a maid to clean his dusty desk, contacting google and demanding a replacement and allsorts of wonderful gems.

+1

still funny seeing loads with the typical comeback of "well mine works so your WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG"
    Last edited by geekpeter; 04/14/2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Bravo, Derek.

That was an excellent article...a bit long...but accurate throughout. This makes up some for that other article (http://www.webosnation.com/switching...e-webos-forums) that you posted a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by monday206am; 04/14/2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast