Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  1.    #1  
    Many said they needed apps as the reason they left webOS.
    What would be some of your most needed or wanted apps if LG released a new webOS device?

Me:
    A really good ePub Reader.
    Office Apps - Docs, xls, etc.
    GPS Navigation
    Just call me Berd.
  2.    #2  
    <<Reserved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    their first release will be a tv, and they likely will have made many alterations to webOS in that time to suit their needs, so trying to "pre-make" apps wouldnt really work, unless the apps are enyo2 and just happen to work.

"required" apps tho is pretty much any apps we all use as our "essentials" on a day to day basis.

web browser, twitter client, facebook/facepalm client, a music/video player, news apps, etc etc.

basics first, exotics later imho.

tbh tho many people just like fancy looking shiney but largely useless apps, attracted to the glitter of "new" stuff, cant say ive liked any/many ipad/android apps if there is a webOS variant, also a nightmare trying to find android apps that arent amazingly invasive/bad, and on apple they probably all do it which is why a handy spy tool that told you exactly what all the apps did was removed from their market.

im just happy with apps that just do what their supposed to do, and not do tons of abusing/useless stuff in the background.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Mine would be pretty simplistic I think. I don't require much. Im just happy with WebOS's small amount of /quality/ applications rather than Android's sheer amount of f2p garbage. I have another little tablet I got for 60 bucks (Allwinner 10 i think) just for Minecraft Pocket Edition. Haven't used it for a month now I think?

I think hands down would be an IRC client, Forums, a terminal, Preware, and some good quality RPG, similar to Earth and Legend.

Yeah yeah, Preware and Forums already exist, but they should be on any contemplative webos device!
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    geekpeter likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    their first release will be a tv, and they likely will have made many alterations to webOS in that time to suit their needs, so trying to "pre-make" apps wouldnt really work, unless the apps are enyo2 and just happen to work.

"required" apps tho is pretty much any apps we all use as our "essentials" on a day to day basis.

web browser, twitter client, facebook/facepalm client, a music/video player, news apps, etc etc.

basics first, exotics later imho.

tbh tho many people just like fancy looking shiney but largely useless apps, attracted to the glitter of "new" stuff, cant say ive liked any/many ipad/android apps if there is a webOS variant, also a nightmare trying to find android apps that arent amazingly invasive/bad, and on apple they probably all do it which is why a handy spy tool that told you exactly what all the apps did was removed from their market.

im just happy with apps that just do what their supposed to do, and not do tons of abusing/useless stuff in the background.

My thoughts were more for the hopeful future.
    If they eventually release a mobile device, what would be the minimum apps if they want anyone to buy it?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    My thoughts were more for the hopeful future.
    If they eventually release a mobile device, what would be the minimum apps if they want anyone to buy it?
    "social" apps are primary, "timewaster" games are next for the mass average user, most of us here on techy sites are a minority when it comes to user requirements.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    "social" apps are primary, "timewaster" games are next for the mass average user, most of us here on techy sites are a minority when it comes to user requirements.
    Galcon = Best time waster ever. I could do without the CIA on my device though.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
  8.    #8  
    I need a really good sound profile manager.
    One where I can override certain contacts at certain times.
    One where my wife always gets through.
    Just call me Berd.
    Add to your list, Berd:
    => Camera with more options
    => Decent Photo Editor
    => Google Plus client
    => Complete Instagram client
    => Netflix
    => Offline Sync & Backup (Yes, to a local computer... l Palm Desktop)
    => Virtual drives client with autosync (mantain all my pics in Dropbox or Sugarsync)
    => Better Calc (Remember the Palm OS Treo Calc? Was PERFECT! Oh, God... this remembered, I missing that... )
    => Some "games results manager" with backup on and offline option (start some game in PrPrPr $3$ $and$ $continue$ $in$ $Touchpad$)

This is just for now...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Google play music.
    Especially if it has a low amount of storage.
    I don't care about the store, but the music app is an almost must.
    A "screen mirroring" app !!
    So we can have phone, that fit nicely in every Hands/Pocket.

Mostly because i dont like where mobile size are headin ;
    seriously i expect by 2016 we'll be able to iron shirt on them!

Regards Onanii
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Slingplayer...

I'm very grateful that I'm able to dual boot my TP into android to have access to the Slingbox app but frustrated at the same time because it's something that could easily run in WebOS environment.
    As many IM apps available, if it's a phone, especially the popular ones. I was almost forced off my phone by my sisters because they refused to use Google Talk and made me use WhatsApp.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    What would be some of your most needed or wanted apps if LG released a new webOS device?

Me:
    GPS Navigation
    A list of must have apps for me to use webOS as a daily driver. (I currently have a brand new Veer running in developer mode just for kicks.)

- Netflix
    - Watch ESPN
    - Pandora
    - Spotify
    - Youtube
    - The Weather Channel (or a major weather app with great detail)
    - IMDB (Internet Movie Database...I love movies)
    - Kindle/Kobo apps for reading on the go
    - Flipboard
    - Major banking apps
    - Angry Birds

All of those are the very basic 'core' apps necessary for me to consider switching. Those apps along with your basic 'consumer' games such as Angry Birds, Asphalt, the Zenonia RPG series, Plants vs Zombies, etc will be necessary to get the average consumer hooked. Let's face it, if the 'average' consumer is going to switch he/she needs more than a few core apps. Kids want games, teens want entertainment/video options, adults want their business apps. It all has to be there and like it or not (and I love my Veer) webOS never had it.
    Last edited by jrb363; 04/12/2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    In no particular order I would need for a daily-driver...

Navigation
    Twitter
    App.net
    Shazaam
    Weather
    Google Reader (or replacement)
    Netflix
    Kindle
    Gmail
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    EAS access at my job.

Me:
    GPS Navigation
    These are the ones I would need in alphabetical order:

Archive Manager
    Dropbox(ify)
    Email client with threads and labels support
    ePub Reader
    Facebook (modern Enyo2)
    Feedly or similar RSS Reader
    Google Maps
    Google Voice/SynerGV
    Instagram
    Music Player Remix
    Package Tracker
    Pandora/Apollo
    Password Keeper/Keyring
    PDF Annotation/Editor
    PicStitch
    Piscel Smart Office (or similar with ability to make default)
    PlainText/TapNote Dropbox note sync
    Pocket client
    Poynt/Yelp/WhitePages
    RedLaser or similar modern barcode scanner
    Shazam/SongID
    Splashtop Streamer
    Tapatalk/Communities
    Twitter/Project Maccaw
    Weather
    Web Browser with up-to-date WebKit
    WhatsApp
    WordPress

Of course Amazon Kindle, Hulu, Netflix, Mainstream games, etc as well as updates to Synergy (for LinkedIn and maybe adding Facebook Chat) and updated security/standards support would be needed for it to be acceptable to a broader audience.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 04/12/2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)