1.    #1  
    Recently, the piece into which the hotsync/charging cable plugs has become loose making it nearly impossible to recharge or hotsync my Treo. I opened up the unit and have determined how this piece connects to the main Treo board. The problem is I can't seem to figure how it became loose and thus how to fix it. It appears to just sit there with nothing in particular holding it place. Does anyone have experience with this? Please help.
    Originally posted by Top Billing
    I opened up the unit and have determined how this piece connects to the main Treo board. The problem is I can't seem to figure how it became loose and thus how to fix it. It appears to just sit there with nothing in particular holding it place. Does anyone have experience with this? Please help.
    Just like the female connector in the HotSync cable, the male connector in the Treo is of equally poor construction.

It is simply held on to the PCB by solder. Constant plugging/unplugging will inevitably wear it out.

You will need to remove the PCB from the screen assembly to see all of the connector as half of it is obscured by this assembly (remove the two small screws). You will then see all of the connector (topside and underside). Check the four solder anchor points - one or more of these may be broken. Re-solder to fix.
    Why not simply contact Handspring Wireless Support and have your Treo replaced.

This is a manufacturer defect and is covered under the terms of your one year warranty.
    As I noted in another thread, this exact same thing happened to me.

Why such shoddy workmanship? Of all parts that shoulda been soldered down securely, it's the hotsync connector. Sheesh.

Just glad my unit is still under warranty!
    Has Handspring / Sprint come up with a better "fix" than just resoldering ? Seems like a holder pinned to the motherboard would work better than relying on solder and gravity.

I started to experience the same symptoms described in several posts (intermittent contact, battery charging error, USB connection erratic - now non-functional) after only one month. I'm off to the Sprint Service center to get mine repaired before it goes completely. Thank goodness for the wireless hotsync option!

Too bad this great product has such an Achilles heel.
    Took an hour, but finally got a new replacement for free.

Words of wisdom:
    a) Read this board. There's nothing like an educated consumer.
    b) Be polite, most people do want to help solve problems.
    c) Find the right person, not everyone at Sprint understands the Treo. I found the right person at Customer Care through talking with Tier II technical help desk.
    d) Stand your ground - things aren't supposed to wear out in 6 months. It is under warranty, no matter how someone tries to spin it.
    e) Use the right "buzzword" - this was a data connection problem, not a hot sync problem. Telling the tech "hot sync" had them thinking software.
    f) Hot sync often.